supplement bushing body mounts

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM

supplement bushing body mounts

Hi guys,

I'm rebuilding a 71 cutlass supreme. The orginal engine is a 350, but I am having a 455 built for it. I am currently in the process of mounting the body back on the frame with new mounts. I have noticed in the kit and in the catalog they talk about a supplement bushing kit for BB and convertibles. Do I need these? There are 2 sets of holes on the frame under the firewall. Two of them (the larger holes) do not match up with anything. With the two smaller holes only the drivers side do they match up.

With a second look only the drivers side has the smaller hole. I'm I looking at a mod?
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM

If I'm not mistaken the extra two bushings are farther down on the frame like under the drivers door. Convertibles used them for extra support. My location may be off but maybe someone else knows exactly where.

To answer your question: Do I need them? I would say no but if you have them handy why not throw them in for more support. It can't hurt. There is only one set under the firewall, that's not the place.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM

on my 1973 '98' there are 2 bushing on each side,1 had a bolt and 1 was not bolted.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM

To my knowledge there are six mounting points on a A Body. Two under the firewall, two just before the hump over the rear wheels and two at the rear before the bumper. The supplemental position is under the doors. I can go look at my 66 convertible tomorrow if you want to verify this but I'm hoping someone else chimes in.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks guys,

I do have the bushings under the doors. There is a diagram that came with the kit that shows additional bushings behind the front fenders/firewall. So....Maybe I do'nt need them.