The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Bluebirds

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2024, 02:10 PM
Oldsdruid

Bluebirds

Does anyone know how to get rid of the hateful little bastards?

I hadn't seen any here in nearly ten years and don't want them. I hate them. I don't do anything to attract them, then this year they're here.

One male in particular keeps the passenger door of my truck crusted in ****. I've caught it in the act several times, fighting its reflection in the mirror and then perching on the window sill and letting it fly. This will go on until I go out there and run it off, then a half hour later the bird is at it again.

Moving the truck has done no good. The damn bird seeks it out no matter where I put it. It's always the passenger side.

When I was growing up I had to clean bluebird **** off the house every day because they'd fight their reflection in the back porch windows and crap down the siding. My mama loved them, and she made ME clean the house off. I was about 16 when I finally told her I wasn't the one who wanted them there. She had houses scattered around the property. After she died I did away with all of them.

Anyone have a way to get rid of the hateful little bastards? It's illegal to kill them here otherwise the 12 gauge with bird shot would have already been deployed. I set a big plastic owl out where the truck is usually parked and it's helped some, but not enough.
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:18 PM

Hang a plastic bag or something similar to cover the window? If he can’t see a reflection, maybe he’ll stay away?
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:11 PM

I had a very similar issue with a female Cardinal two years ago... crapping all over the door of my Durango fighting its reflection in the mirror.
I ended up tying a T-Shirt around each mirror while the vehicle was outside, looked goofy but did the trick!
Funny thing was she then moved onto my neighbor's car, he ended up doing the same thing!
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If the mirrors fold in do that, nightly. If not use plastic shopping bags with binder clips for quick don n doff.

Its bird mating time. If they see another male bird (or their own stupid *** reflection) they get territorial.
They actually scratched my mirror glass by flapping their wings while spreading their ****...all over the mirrors & doors. Lovely creatures!

The bags did the trick. Then the light bulb came on...fold the foldable mirrors. I assume the little bastard croaked or the cat got him (hopefully). After one season I no longer needed to protect the mirrors.

Last edited by droldsmorland; March 11th, 2024 at 06:10 PM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:46 PM

Prop a sticky trap where he stands. YOU didn't kill him, whatever ate him while he was stuck to it did.
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:48 AM

I use shoe bags over the mirrors, this works. Fortunately the truck mirrors fold in, that does the trick also.
Old March 11th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Buy a cat.

But then you'd have paw prints, blood and feathers all over you truck too. So maybe that isn't a great idea.
Although it could be worth it for the entertainment value.
Old March 13th, 2024, 11:00 AM

Folding the mirrors in seems like the easiest fix here but if that doesn't work...
1) I like Koda's suggestion
2) We have a meeting room at work with huge windows. A cardinal decided he hated his reflection and would fly into the window constantly trying to attack the 'other bird'. I printed out a few pictures of some scary looking owls I found on the internet and taped those to the inside of the glass. Everybody thought I was nuts until they realized it solved the problem. Never saw him again after that.

You'd think they'd scramble their brains banging into the window repeatedly but apparently not. I don't think they have too much in the way of brains to scramble.
Old March 13th, 2024, 11:12 AM

You can use that cat musk spray that's designed to deter pests.
Old March 13th, 2024, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can use that cat musk spray that's designed to deter pests.
That's actually worse. It makes whatever you spray smell like cat pi$$.
Old March 16th, 2024, 10:54 AM
Senior Moment Member

Sounds like the op has some deep seated Bluebird issues! Haha! I like the shotgun method.
Old March 16th, 2024, 11:44 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Sounds like the op has some deep seated Bluebird issues! Haha! I like the shotgun method.

You do know bluebirds eat a lot of mosquitos. Durning nesting season up to 1000 a day. No I don't want them crapping all over my car but they are useful.
Old March 16th, 2024, 12:24 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by z11375ss
🙂 That's putting it mildly.

If I turned the shotgun loose I guess I could always say I thought it was a starling.

I covered the mirrors on the Mercury and the 08 F150 with plastic bags and so far that's keeping the bird off them. I just have to remember to remove the bags if I drive them.

The 93 F150 is parked a couple hundred feet away from those and the damn bird sought it out and attacked it. Again, passenger side only. DK what's going thru its little bird brain but it apparently associates a vehicle with another bird to fight with.

Neighbor has a ginormous cat that makes a tour through the neighborhood a couple times a day. Kinda hoping Fat Cat will notice the bluebird and do what outside cats do. Though I'm not sure she can move fast enough to catch it. Fat Cat lives up to her name.

A hawk would be a great solution but I haven't seen or heard one here yet.

I feed birds year round, have for years. I have cardinals, finches, bluejays, doves, woodpeckers, redwing blackbirds and all grades of other birds using the feeders. They eat together peacefully and more to point don't attack my stuff. The bluebirds won't eat with the other birds and **** all over everything. If a bird can be an *******, a bluebird is it.

And before any of you crack on them shitting on Fords, they did the same thing years ago when there were only GM products in the yard!😄 Hateful little biatches...

Last edited by rocketraider; March 16th, 2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 16th, 2024, 01:13 PM
Senior Moment Member

My offspring had this same problem. She folded her mirrors. Yep, a pita. But, it worked. No matter, that bird found another car very close to attack.
Old March 16th, 2024, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
A hawk would be a great solution but I haven't seen or heard one here yet.
How about a picture of one in the passengers window? That might scare the little bird shitless.
Old March 17th, 2024, 08:44 AM
Oldsdruid

What Bambi did last night

I just thought the bluebird was bad.🙄

The truck served me well but it's done for. That's thousands in damage provided I could even find a clip.

It came out of nowhere and I swear it looked big as a cow. My satisfaction is knowing there's one less out there breeding.

Deer season does not last long enough here. There is no more destructive animal on earth than a white tailed deer.

Last edited by rocketraider; March 17th, 2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old March 17th, 2024, 09:15 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thats reparable. Id fix it. You're far enough south to find non salted used parts. I believe bull-nose parts are being reproduced with the popularity of old pickups exploding like it has.
Older is better and have you seen the sticker on a new 150 250 350! Its a mortgage pmt.

If you'd a been in a passenger car it would have been 2, 3X worse. I drive along side of a park to get to/from work. Its like running the gauntlet. The daily is a girly latitude with 135K on the clock. Im rolling the dice every day. But I also know where they come out cus Im a white tail hunter. Ive locked the brakes many times. Our hunting property surrounds this park.....soooo we can each take up 9-11 deer per year with various permits. My best season to date is 6 filthy bastards. We don't buy store bought meat.

The Bluejay that was assaulting my vehicles must have croaked. I only had to turn in my mirrors for 2 seasons. Hate birds. The entire species. Air Rats! Seagulls are the worst.
Old March 17th, 2024, 09:35 AM

That's a fender, front trim and grille. Maybe a paint job on the hood. That can be done all bolt on, no welding.
Old March 17th, 2024, 09:48 AM
Oldsdruid

I haven't been able to get the hood open but eyeballing it looks like the core support got pushed back a bit since the fender got pushed back into the door. That complicates things.

93 with 288k, not sure I can justify the money to fix it as it would all be out of pocket. I have a couple young friends from work who fool with Ford trucks, I'll see if either of them wants it before I call the scrapyard.

I had kept it around partly to spare the 08 F150 and the Grand Marquis from deer hazards.

Deer used to only be crazy in rut but now it's year round and the Commonwealth simply refuses to manage its livestock. There's too many of them, they're starving, wasting disease is rampant, and the harvest season and regulations haven't changed in over 20 years. Add in hunters who only want a big rack to hang on the wall instead of hunting for food and we see what we get. Harvesting bucks isn't going to do anything to reduce overpopulation.

Open season year round with no limits for a couple years would go a long way toward getting the deer population under control. Instead of doing that, VA wildlife department imported ELK into the state over the objection of every county they planned to put them in.

Give the elk time and they'll migrate over the mountains and end up here. Imagine whacking a 1500lb elk. People are going to die in those collisions.
Old March 17th, 2024, 10:23 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Send a letter to the ENCON/DEC with the legitimate gripe. Believe me the farmers aren't having any fun either.

288K as long as its not rotted will being good money a few states above you. We'd do engines trans xfer diff replacement all day vs rot. Advertise a rust free truck a few states north of you. a 4WD rot free damaged truck is worth 3-4-5K up here.

Makes you rethink the bluejay problem right...lol
Old March 17th, 2024, 11:28 AM
Senior Moment Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Or, if there's no rot, it will sell.