The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Brunswick Stew time again!

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Brunswick Stew time again!

Calvary Methodist Church made its annual fundraising Brunswick Stew yesterday by my granddaddy's recipe. Made 100 gallons and sold it all, down to near'bout scraping the pot so some hunters who came by late could have a bowl for dinner (that's lunch to y'all not from here).

One thing I have discovered to my annoyance- since my gallbladder surgery, stew gives me hellacious heartburn. One of the little white-haired church ladies said taking a Gas-X pill when you eat it will help- she had her GB out back when they cut you open from A to Izzard, and she eats her stew with the best of 'em.

They had a stew cookoff in Richmond yesterday too- one team by itself made 450 gallons of it! That's a whole lotta stew...

Here's Cap'n Alfred's recipe scaled down for 25 gallons again...from the Growing up in the 60s thread.

###

Aight- here's Cap'n Alfred Buckner's Brunswick Stew recipe, passed down to me thru my Mama, Mae Buckner Williamson, and still used by the two little Methodist churches my family was affiliated with. Even though most is pre-ordered, these church stews always sell out. Most local papers will run an announcement free of charge.

For 25 gallons of Brunswick Stew:

5 whole chickens (20-25 lbs) precooked, debone and remove skin, save broth.
20 lb good stew beef, cut in small cubes and precooked
25 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
5 gallons tomatoes
3 gallons creamed corn
5 gallons butterbeans (lima beans)
1/2 gallon tomato paste
10-12 lb onions, peeled and cut up
3-1/2 lb margarine
1/2 lb salt
1/8 lb black pepper, or to taste. Mix proportionately with crushed red pepper if desired.
1-1/4 lb sugar

Start the stew with 1/4 to 1/3 pot full of cold water. Bring to a boil, add the potatoes and cook about 1 hour, stirring constantly.

Constant stirring is the key to stew, so it won't stick to the pot or burn. A wooden stew paddle is a great help here. An unfinished boat paddle can be used. No varnish or paint- bare wood, seasoned with a little cooking oil or grease prior to using.

Add the beans, tomatoes, meat and chicken stock, and cook 2-1/2 hours, still stirring at a low boil.

Add onions and seasonings, cook 1 more hour as above.

Add corn, margarine, sugar and tomato paste. Cook 1 hour or until stew is desired thickness. Stir it!

Once it's done, serve immediately. What doesn't get eaten right off, allow to cool a bit and put it in quart containers. If planning to freeze, allow it to cool enough to safely put it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate overnight, then put it in the freezer.*You can get gallon cans of vegetables at some grocery stores, or at a local restaurant supply house. You can also get the quart styrofoam containers there.

As you see, it's kinda time-intensive, and there's some pre-preparation involved with the meat, potatoes and onions, usually done the night before. The meat will cook down to shreds, or you can shred it before putting it in the pot if you like.

Mighty fine eats, and good with saltine crackers or loaf bread. Real good on a cold day.
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Yummy

I like poke in mine as we discussed befo.

I don't eat anyone else's Brunswick stew cause I don't know what's in it and I don't eat mine cause I do.

It's not quite hog kill'in time down here. But it's jes around the corner.

Thanks fer the recipe. I'll give her a shot with [or course] some minor variations.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM

have to invite a lot of friends over for the the feed with the size of that recipe. Sounds good
Old February 6th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Oldsdruid

12 years later it's STILL Brunswick Stew time again!

Cold February weather, just right for cooking a stew! There were 6 listed in this morning's paper. Three churches, a volunteer fire department, a VFW post and an American Legion post. I'd bet lunch all 6 were sold out by 2pm. Lot of organizations use a stew as a fundraiser, which in these times of stupid it's important to help them.

The plague has altered stew. None served on site, and all delivered to the customer via drive-thru. Boo, hiss. Sittin' down to share a bowl of stew with yer friends and neighbors is a big part of making one!

Just wondering if anybody here ever tried to make one by my Granddaddy's recipe?
Old February 6th, 2021, 03:52 PM

I like shoe peg corn in mine