The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

bumper re-chroming for 67 442

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2014, 11:31 AM

bumper re-chroming for 67 442

Can anyone give me the names of re-chroming shops that will do a good job at a reasonable price. My bumpers are in nice condition (no dings or rust) just getting those nasty little black (pepper) spots all over. I've seen prices from $350.00 to $1200.00 a piece. Or would I be ok going with ones from a place like "The Parts Place" and trying to sell the ones I have?
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Have your bumpers replated.

It sounds like people have had good experiences and prices with a place called Ogden chrome.There are some others,I'm sure other members will chime in.

If you do buy aftermarket don't sell your originals otherwise in a few years when your sick of the aftermarket bumpers,you'll be looking for original cores to have redone.
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Make sure you stay away from the Bummer Boyz. And I wasn't happy with Pauls in PA.
Some places that satisfied me for the price I paid;
http://www.ogdenchrome.com/
http://tricityplating.com/
There is a place in Brainerd MN called North Star, I used them and was satisfied but can't find the website now.

Mike
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Tony

chrome

Originally Posted by tomxk8
Can anyone give me the names of re-chroming shops that will do a good job at a reasonable price. My bumpers are in nice condition (no dings or rust) just getting those nasty little black (pepper) spots all over. I've seen prices from $350.00 to $1200.00 a piece. Or would I be ok going with ones from a place like "The Parts Place" and trying to sell the ones I have?
I have not had goodluck with parts place and sounds like many others also. I had mine done with triple plate lifetime show chrome and they dont charge extra for straightening the company is goodmark I went through Keystone body shop supply here in Wi they were $475 each two years ago and still look great my front bump was really twisted too
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:34 PM

I've used Ogden chrome several times, there work is very good but you won't get them done for $350.
If you live out west they pickup and deliver for free from many body shops hundreds of miles away.
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by tomxk8
Since you'll pay close to $100 each way to ship it would be helpful to know where you live. I've got a place local to me that does them for about $350 but it's not a triple plated show quality job. Places like Keystone did them when I was looking for a chomer and they were pretty reasonable but they weren't show quality either
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM

In certain areas rust free and straight cores are hard to find. As already said keep yours and have them done. I have had good luck with Tri City. They charge about 500 each to redo and shipping would add to the cost.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Ogden Chrome, you won't be disappointed
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM

A lot of Chevy guys like Tri City Plating out of Tennessee.

Also, if you have a little piece to be chromed, sometimes you can gauge your experience with them and their product with it first. My 67 is going to need everything chromed except the front bumper, so I may do that method.
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Need to know your location since shipping will be a good part of the cost. I have used Tri-City out of Tennessee in the past. They used to pick up and deliver at Carlisle. Here in the northeast, I would use Sandy's out of Syracuse. Used them with good results on my front bumper
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Chrome plating

Does anyone know of a source to have fiberglass bumpers chromed for a race car?
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Pauls chrome in pa. Does chrome on plastic and fiberglass.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by archeryshooter
I have not had goodluck with parts place and sounds like many others also. I had mine done with triple plate lifetime show chrome and they dont charge extra for straightening the company is goodmark I went through Keystone body shop supply here in Wi they were $475 each two years ago and still look great my front bump was really twisted too
Keystone owns North Star in MN (mentioned in my first post on this thread). You can drop your bumper at a body shop serviced by Keystone/LKQ and they will send it to North Star via their trucking fleet, then deliver it back to the body shop where you dropped it off, no shipping fees.

Mike
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Tony

Originally Posted by 66luvr
Keystone owns North Star in MN (mentioned in my first post on this thread). You can drop your bumper at a body shop serviced by Keystone/LKQ and they will send it to North Star via their trucking fleet, then deliver it back to the body shop where you dropped it off, no shipping fees.

Mike
Didnt know that Thanks Mike
They picked mine up here and delivered free like you said
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pacecar
I would use Sandy's out of Syracuse. Used them with good results on my front bumper

They were who I was referring to in my post above. They don't do what I would call a "show quality" job but the price was right and I dropped off and picked up
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pacecar
Need to know your location since shipping will be a good part of the cost. I have used Tri-City out of Tennessee in the past. They used to pick up and deliver at Carlisle. Here in the northeast, I would use Sandy's out of Syracuse. Used them with good results on my front bumper
I live in York Pa. And there is an IKQ with in 10 miles of my house. Does anyone know there return time. Has anyone used Sioux Plating Co.