The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

College World Series

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM

College World Series

The Gamecocks (South Carolina) got it done tonight. Great game, did the last game in Rosenblatt Stadium well....
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thumbs up SC Baseball!

Originally Posted by we jeep inn
The Gamecocks (South Carolina) got it done tonight. Great game, did the last game in Rosenblatt Stadium well....
Just noticed your post after the great series. I watched all the games on TV.

Our kids sure played well. Coach Tanner should be real proud.

Cheers..........

--Don
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM
...should get a life....

How can a competition played only in the States be called "World Series"??
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
We are the world
We are the children

The World Series of Rock shows were at the Cleveland stadium in the 70's, Pink Floyd was the most mellow and far out... man.
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Question World Series?

I've often wondered the same thing.....

But, it's definitely a "World Series!" Orangeville just needs to field a team! Also, "National Series" does not seem nearly as imposing!

--Don

P.S. Do they grow oranges in Orangeville?
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Ddbord
I've often wondered the same thing.....

But, it's definitely a "World Series!" Orangeville just needs to field a team! Also, "National Series" does not seem nearly as imposing!

--Don

P.S. Do they grow oranges in Orangeville?
Orangeville, as the name would imply, was an orange growing district. In fact the first Valencias in Oz were grown here. Then the Govt started subsidising the growers in the Riverina area of NSW and the locals couldn't compete. They bulldozed the orchards. Now it's mainly horse country.
We couldn't put a team together:
1/ Not enough people to make up a team, &
2/ What the hell is baseball anyway? We're strictly cricket down here.
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Smile Cricket???

We couldn't put a team together:
1/ Not enough people to make up a team, &
2/ What the hell is baseball anyway? We're strictly cricket down here.
Cricket! Flat bat's are easier than round ones!

--Don
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
...should get a life....

Cricket! Flat bat's are easier than round ones!

--Don
They have to be. It's part of the game to bowl bouncers at a batsman's head at 100mph. A pitcher does that in baseball and next minute everyone charges out of the dugout and starts pushing and shoving...weird.
I've watched a few games. More spittin' than hittin'. What's that about? Everyone's chewing and spitting, spitting and chewing
And they chew and spit to music cos I hear someone playing an organ. Very strange game indeed.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

I've watched a few games. More spittin' than hittin'. What's that about? Everyone's chewing and spitting, spitting and chewing
And they chew and spit to music cos I hear someone playing an organ. Very strange game indeed.
How about crotch scratching?

--Don
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
...should get a life....

How about crotch scratching?

--Don
Didn't want to mention the crotch scratching.....this is a "G" classified forum.
Mind you there is a bit of crotch action in cricket. The "protectors" worn by the batsmen do require constant adjustment to maintain optimum comfort. Those batsmen can be out in the middle for hours running up and down the wicket maybe 100 times or more. That calls for a lot of crotch protector (known as a "box") manipulation. And it's a summer sport which means they're often out there in 100deg+ temps. I don't need to tell ya what that means for a fibreglass encased crotch.
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Registered

What is a "sticky wicket" anyway.

Cricket just seems like croquet and baseball mixed together with guys wearing "funny" clothes to me.
Do you eat sunflower seeds then spit the shells all over the dugout?
They don't chew tobacco and spit juice all over the place like they used to.
When I was a kid they would all be lighting up **** in the dugout.
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:28 AM
...should get a life....

You reckon cricket players wear funny clothes...
Seems to me baseball players can't figure out whether to wear long sleeves or short sleeves, long pants or short pants, long socks or short socks. Similar style to the guys in Big Bang Theory. (I love that show)
Only cockatoos eat sunflower seeds and what's with dugouts? Is that where they get the dirt for the pitchers mound? And how come the pitcher gets to stand on a mound and throw down-hill? It's just not cricket what?

And here is the Wikipedia meaning of sticky wicket:
The phrase comes from the game of cricket, where it describes a cricket pitch that is in the process of drying after being affected by moisture. This occurs in two ways - either through rain directly falling on an unprotected pitch, or the pitch "sweating" under more basic types of pitch coverings.
Once the pitch starts to dry, "a hard crust" forms over "over soft, wet soil", which "helps the ball to bite, turn and lift variably".[1] On a sticky wicket, batting is therefore awkward and sometimes hazardous, as the ball will spin, seam, and bounce sharply and unpredictably.
In recent decades[when?], it has become common practice to cover professional cricket pitches overnight and during rain, and thus the phrase is seldom used in its original meaning, except when referring to matches played in the past.[citation
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Sticky Wicket

You reckon cricket players wear funny clothes...
Seems to me baseball players can't figure out whether to wear long sleeves or short sleeves, long pants or short pants, long socks or short socks. Similar style to the guys in Big Bang Theory. (I love that show)
Only cockatoos eat sunflower seeds and what's with dugouts? Is that where they get the dirt for the pitchers mound? And how come the pitcher gets to stand on a mound and throw down-hill? It's just not cricket what?

And here is the Wikipedia meaning of sticky wicket:
The phrase comes from the game of cricket, where it describes a cricket pitch that is in the process of drying after being affected by moisture. This occurs in two ways - either through rain directly falling on an unprotected pitch, or the pitch "sweating" under more basic types of pitch coverings.
Once the pitch starts to dry, "a hard crust" forms over "over soft, wet soil", which "helps the ball to bite, turn and lift variably".[1] On a sticky wicket, batting is therefore awkward and sometimes hazardous, as the ball will spin, seam, and bounce sharply and unpredictably.
In recent decades[when?], it has become common practice to cover professional cricket pitches overnight and during rain, and thus the phrase is seldom used in its original meaning, except when referring to matches played in the past.[citation
Wow!

Have you ever had a problem bat corking? Several American ball players have been caught with a "corked bat." A hole is drilled into the end of the bat and then it's filled with cork. Makes the end of the bat lighter which adds quite a bit of added velocity. But, it's not cricket!

--Don
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
...should get a life....

Wow!

Have you ever had a problem bat corking? Several American ball players have been caught with a "corked bat." A hole is drilled into the end of the bat and then it's filled with cork. Makes the end of the bat lighter which adds quite a bit of added velocity. But, it's not cricket!

--Don
Not that I know of. Most players opt for heavier bats because it's not so much bat velocity but timing. Most runs are scored along the ground so good timing and weight transfer plus a solid piece of willow help the ball on it's way to the boundary faster.
They've tried a few things. Aluminium bats (failed), bats with no "shoulders" (didn't last). Now there's a new bat with a longer handle and smaller blade. I think it has been designed for swing speed. There's a relatively new cricket game called 20/20 which requires maximum runs in only 20 overs so bit hitting is important.Maybe if the handle keeps getting longer we'll end up using baseball bats
Aussie fielders are coached by baseball coaches with respect to throwing flat and accurately. I've seen a big differenceover the last few years.
Maybe our guys could come over and coach your blokes in how to catch without mits
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

They've tried a few things. Aluminium bats (failed),
We use aluminum bats for college play. But not for grade school.
Maybe if the handle keeps getting longer we'll end up using baseball bats
Heaven forbid!
Maybe our guys could come over and coach your blokes in how to catch without mits
OUCH!