The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Considering Trading in the Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Considering Trading in the Cutlass

Ever since I was a kid I've liked the look of the '79 Lincolns. A few years ago I saw a Bill Blass Edition at a car event and fell in love. There aren't many around, and the white interior was rare. I recently found this, and the guy consigns cars. He seems like he'd entertain a trade(partial anyway) for my cutlass. Obviously no 72 Cutlass "S" is worth the $20,000 he's asking for the car, but if I could talk him down 3-4k, get a trade in for my car, it'd probably be in good shape.

Lincoln:
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...5/1263425.html (Click Link for More Photo's)

My Cutlass(On it's Best Day)(Although I did refinish the hood louvers)

101_1171.jpg

It certainly would be an upgrade. I recently bought the stuff to tune up my car, and put them on the shelf in the garage, and I got to thinking, my Cutlass with it's "muscle car look" and "big v8" is only rated at what, 190hp!? So it's all show and no go. In theory I could line up next to my mom's Fusion, and it'd lose. That's ridiculous.

But the Lincoln is classy, not meant to race but built to cruise. It's a relaxed Sunday cruiser, no one is going to pull up to a light, and want to race, which I can't because a stock 350 will lose to just about anything.

I'm only 21, still in college and recently bought a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Pack for cash, so I've got a limit of $10,000 max to spend on a car. I was considering a bike, but I really like the looks of them. I bought a pre fab garage a few years ago, all wood construction, so storage isn't a problem.

Now I know this is an Olds Forum, but thoughts, comments, suggestions? I don't know what numbers he's going to be talking, but it just seems like the Cutlass "S" is just a waste of time. They are rare because no one wanted them 40 years ago. What sucked back then, still sucks now, right?

Last edited by jpc647; August 25th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Cutlass S... sucks Kind of like wearing a Cowboys jersey to an Eagles game It's your ride man you should be driving what you like, go for the trade.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Oldsdruid

Here's one thing to remember about Linkens: they have a lot of gadgets, and 79 was the infancy of a lot of their electronic stuff. Get the absolute best one you can find to start because repro is non-existent, the vast majority have been crushed because of their weight so that limits the used parts supply, and NOS may be very expensive.

That said, the late-70s Linkens are very popular in the Lincoln-Continental Owners' Club and they do have a fan base and some support.

Though I admit I didn't realise they were approaching $20k.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Well, you'll gain 50 cubes with the Lincoln, and a lot more car.

I guess what's important in the end is what you like though.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM

You're 21.....do you really want a late 70's shaggadelic disco Harlem pimp wagon??
I think it will do you more harm then good with dating.

I can think of 100's of better options personally.
If you're NOT happy with the Gutless Cutlass (earned nickname) then sell it.
Put the cash somewhere else for now.
OR strongly consider an engine and trans swap for something more powerful.

I think you're reaching for the stars if you think you're going to get $16,000 for it in this market.
I'd have to see more pics though......Good luck either way.
I vote no to the Lincoln, but yes to selling the Olds if you're not happy.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 25th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM

You have not mentioned whether or not the pictured car has the feather fedora and aquarium platform shoes included to make an educated decision. Your Olds is and always will be timeless, and is in my favorite color for decades to come. If you are looking to upgrade in class and want to go to the Lincoln marque, shop for a V12 Zephyr, or at least a problematic suicide doored Continental. I normally will refrain from influential comments when it comes to other people's car purchasing decisions but since you are openly seeking opinions in a Rocket forum,........well there it is... Apologies for my brute honesty, and enjoy your car to the fullest whatever it is!!!!!!!!!
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM

You asked for opinions so here goes, politely. I can't blame you for wanting a nice car & a lincoln fits that bill, but like others have said, scarcity of parts, & people that can work on some of those systems is something to consider.
You mentioned that that the '72 Cutlass s was rare & sucked then, I've been playing with Oldsmobiles for over 25 years & I've seen MANY of them in junkyards & on the streets & have owned several myself. I think the '70-'72 Cutlass s, Supreme, convertible, etc... is one of the most popular cars of it's time & they can still be had reasonably. It is down on power from a couple years earlier, but a few hundred dollars & a good mechanic will fix that easily. A cam & intake swap will help some, or, if you don't want to tear into the engine, a thorough tune up will improve things also. Plus, you have access to geeks like the ones on this board that know more than you will ever want to know about your car & will be glad to share it with you.
If you want to sell it, I'd post it here or maybe ebay to bring top dollar versus trading it in to a dealer, they always want to give less than it's worth so they can flip it & make a buck. Cut out the middleman!
Good luck what ever you do.
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I commend you if you are 21, in college and paid cash for a 2010 Genesis (nice car). I think you might tire of the Lincoln. It is a big car and great on the open road. I haven't followed the pricing of those cars but $20,000 seems high. They are beautiful cars but I must admit I am surprised a 21 year old is interested. It is you money so drive what you like. Have you ever driven one of these cars. It will also be more thirsty than you can ever imagine. I think your Cutlass is a nice looking car and there is a lot you can to with it. Let us know what you do.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
NOVICE car nut

are you kidding me ? look at those photos again , the Cutlass looks way better imo , keep both cars , and make the Cutlass faster
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:31 PM

Dear Clueless, they were rare 40 years ago because nobody wanted them? With 82,602 hardtop & sports coupes built, I would say that your observations are way off. They were neither rare nor unwanted. Sell your Cutlass to someone who would appreciate it.
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM

A guy I know just crushed one of this Lincolns. It was in very good condition. The body, interior, and engine was in good shape. It started have all kinds of electrical problems. Since he's not a mechanic he had to take it to one and take it and take it. The car ended up sitting for a few years, thats why it was crushed.

Sell the Cutlass if your not happy with it. The Lincoln is not worth more then the Cutlass. So if you trade it to him and give him money on top of it. Then your just throwing money away.

But you could change the gears in the rear end and put a overdrive in the Cutlass and wake it up.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; August 27th, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Administrator

IMO, anything built from 74 n up was GUTLESS, yes the Lincoln is a tiny bit rare because it's a 2 door, however the Cutlass is more reliable!! The Lincoln as stated above is very problematic, and parts are really expensive! Me personally it is not worth what it's selling for! Do what you want its your car and money!! There are so many other cars out there in that price range to choose from!!

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 26th, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM
CQR

Looked locally. Found one at a dealer for $25K. And this one. This guy must not realize what they are worth?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2550855855.html
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
are you kidding me ? look at those photos again ,
Originally Posted by rocketraider
Here's one thing to remember about Linkens: they have a lot of gadgets, and 79 was the infancy of a lot of their electronic stuff. Get the absolute best one you can find to start because repro is non-existent, the vast majority have been crushed because of their weight so that limits the used parts supply, and NOS may be very expensive.

That said, the late-70s Linkens are very popular in the Lincoln-Continental Owners' Club and they do have a fan base and some support.

Though I admit I didn't realise they were approaching $20k.
The first part is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know much about the Lincolns of the late 70's, except I like the way it looks. Finding parts for cheap would most likely be expensive, I never though of that. It is certainly not worth the $20,000 asking price, I admit, and I wouldn't pay that.

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
You're 21.....do you really want a late 70's shaggadelic disco Harlem pimp wagon??
I think it will do you more harm then good with dating.

I can think of 100's of better options personally.
If you're NOT happy with the Gutless Cutlass (earned nickname) then sell it.
Put the cash somewhere else for now.
OR strongly consider an engine and trans swap for something more powerful.

I think you're reaching for the stars if you think you're going to get $16,000 for it in this market.
I'd have to see more pics though......Good luck either way.
I vote no to the Lincoln, but yes to selling the Olds if you're not happy.
I don't think I need any help in the dating area, besides 99 out of 100 girls in this day and age would rather ride around in the "new" air conditioned Genesis Coupe than a 40 year old car anyway. The problem I have with an engine or tranny swap, is by the time I'm done I'll well exceed what I can ever get for the car, if I do all the work myself, which I'm not sure I want to do. I've done an engine, tranny swap in an 88 Ford Thunderbird, it was an experience, not one I'm sure I want again.

Additionally if you read my opening post, I said I could spend an additional $10,000 on a car with the trade in of the Olds. I don't think it'd get 16k for the Cutlass. Part of me "not being happy" is simply my everday car would drive circles around my "hobby car" and that bothers me.

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Your Olds is and always will be timeless, and is in my favorite color for decades to come. If you are looking to upgrade in class and want to go to the Lincoln marque, shop for a V12 Zephyr, or at least a problematic suicide doored Continental.Apologies for my brute honesty, and enjoy your car to the fullest whatever it is!!!!!!!!!
My father has a suicide door Continental, don't want two in the family, ha. The v12 Zephyr, from the 30's and 40's? Nah, thats not really my style.

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
You asked for opinions so here goes, politely. I can't blame you for wanting a nice car & a lincoln fits that bill, but like others have said, scarcity of parts, & people that can work on some of those systems is something to consider.
You mentioned that that the '72 Cutlass s was rare & sucked then, I've been playing with Oldsmobiles for over 25 years & I've seen MANY of them in junkyards & on the streets & have owned several myself. I think the '70-'72 Cutlass s, Supreme, convertible, etc... is one of the most popular cars of it's time & they can still be had reasonably. It is down on power from a couple years earlier, but a few hundred dollars & a good mechanic will fix that easily. A cam & intake swap will help some, or, if you don't want to tear into the engine, a thorough tune up will improve things also. Plus, you have access to geeks like the ones on this board that know more than you will ever want to know about your car & will be glad to share it with you.
My post about the car being "rare" was cemented in the fact most "S" models have been converted into 442's. There are more 442's on the road now than were ever built. Now a couple hundred dollars for more power? It already has an aftermarket carb and Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, not sure what else I can do bolt on wise to improve the lack luster performance. Car also has 3.33 gears in it, which although suck on the highway are good for around town.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I commend you if you are 21, in college and paid cash for a 2010 Genesis (nice car). I think you might tire of the Lincoln. It is a big car and great on the open road. I haven't followed the pricing of those cars but $20,000 seems high. They are beautiful cars but I must admit I am surprised a 21 year old is interested. It is you money so drive what you like. Have you ever driven one of these cars. It will also be more thirsty than you can ever imagine. I think your Cutlass is a nice looking car and there is a lot you can to with it. Let us know what you do.
Well thank you. I do enjoy the Genesis Coupe. I agree $20,000 is shooting for the moon on the Lincoln and they would have to come down. My father had a 71 Lincoln that sat in the backyard and eventually rusted away when I was a kid. That could be part of my interest. I was "promised" it'd be fixed up and then it was scrapped. I've ridden in one of them, not driven it. The cutlass is a decent car, it just seems every thing I want to do to it is just too expensive or it's not enough of a gain.

the Cutlass looks way better imo , keep both cars , and make the Cutlass faster
Making the Cutlass Faster would cost a ton of money and the "driveability" would be severely hindered. To get the kind of power out of that 350 I would need to be faster than the Genesis, It'd need 375hp WHP. Coming from 190HP stock, thats a big jump, no way would the stock internals handle that. Then to upgrade the transmission and rear to handle that!? It's have $20,000 into a Cutlass I couldn't sell for $12,000. A motor rebuilt is going to be at least 4-5k, tranny probably 1k, probably would need the OIA setup for that power, thats 6k for the Thorton Hood, and the setup, a Cutlass "S" just isn't worth that, IMO.

Originally Posted by CQR
Looked locally. Found one at a dealer for $25K. And this one. This guy must not realize what they are worth?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2550855855.html
I agree the car isn't worth $20,000. However the one is the craigslist link is not a Bill Blass Edition, and thats the only one I would consider. I just love the white seats and two tone paint.
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Making the Cutlass Faster would cost a ton of money and the "driveability" would be severely hindered. To get the kind of power out of that 350 I would need to be faster than the Genesis, It'd need 375hp WHP. Coming from 190HP stock, thats a big jump, no way would the stock internals handle that. Then to upgrade the transmission and rear to handle that!? It's have $20,000 into a Cutlass I couldn't sell for $12,000. A motor rebuilt is going to be at least 4-5k, tranny probably 1k, probably would need the OIA setup for that power, thats 6k for the Thorton Hood, and the setup, a Cutlass "S" just isn't worth that, IMO.
You don't need $20,000 into that Cutlass to be faster then that Genesis coupe ....it's not that fast my man.
That Genesis might have 300hp but it only does 14.5 ET in the 1/4 because it seriously lacks torque.
I think Hyundai's are sweet , and I'm not an import hating old fart either.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ck-retest.html

For comparitive sake a Honda Civic SI does 14.5 in the quarter with a 4cylinder 200hp VTEC.
Sure you can modify it, but you can modify either one to be faster. Just gotta be smart in choosing options.
The laws of physics help the Genesis with weight, and hurt the Cutlass.
It's a LARGE vehicle. 3800lbs (Olds) vs 3389 (Hyundai)

You can honestly either put a 455 into the Cutlass if you want ***** out torque and care about nothing else.
Or you can update the drivetrain to a modern drivetrain for less then $6,000 and 400hp-500hp , with overdrive.

For starters, YES it's a Cutlass S, so it's not worth a whole lot even in numbers matching condition.
This is a GOOD THING from a custom standpoint, because you can modify that car to the hilt.

For example, I'm putting a 450-500hp LY6 6.0L lsx drivetrain with a T-56 6 speed in my 1970 442 clone (Cutlass S)
So decide if you want more power, or you want to drive it, or you want to sell it.
Face reality with new car depreciation buddy......
The Genesis coupe is not collectible and will be worth LESS then your Cutlass in just 7-10 years.

As for NEEDING the OAI Hood setup ?? No you definitely do not.
If this was my car, I'd buy the Aftermarket 442 hood, and start putting money towards a better motor.

I'm getting the vibe here that someone passed and left you money for the Genesis and left you the Cutlass.
True ??

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 26th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Talking Oldsmobile or Lincoln, Olds of course

Having lived thru the late 70's and 80's and having several friends along with myself who owned luxury's cars from those years they are some of the worst cars ever built by American auto makers. Tons of electronic problems and no power. Even with the 460 the Lincoln is a slug. Buy what you want but be prepared for the "Money Pit". Now the Lincoln's from the 50's and 60's that's another story.

Another thing to consider, if your considering a car as an investment and not just a hobby, you're going to find hard to buy any car in the 20K range that will actually gain in value. That's why most of us do not consider the cost we just build what we want to enjoy it.

In any case good luck with your decision.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Ok, for arguments sake, there is a $5k difference between what you will sell the Cutlass for and buy the Lincoln. You can do alot of upgrades to your Cutlass for that! It would outperform and have the wow factor (except for a very small group who actually like the Lincolns) that your looking for!

Motor upgrade, $2500-3000, transmission, $400 max + converter, rear end $500!! Add another $700 for misc, and your there!

Go to a local car show, take a look at the lack of/ and, or amount of people crowding around cars! Look at the 72 and below models and then look at the 73-??? models, you tell me which are more popular!!

Any girl that would take a Hyundai over a 50's - 70's muscle car, is not a keeper!!

Another .02 from me. But hey, I'm 53!

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 26th, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Any girl that would take a Hyundai over a 50's - 70's muscle car, is not a keeper!!
Not for a 53 year old. LOL
That's almost two generations of difference in taste and interests.

I didn't realize this was a female. So now I understand.
She's not into gear wrenching is my guess and is lacking the knowledge to do so.
NOT A BAD THING by any means, none of us are born with car knowledge. Takes time to learn.
Hell last year I was asking to get help to pull an engine.

She's young, and this is a big thing to bite off for a young female just 21 years old.
I'd sell the Olds and get a modern car that has everything you want on it.
I think you'd be better off.

If you're looking for an investment vehicle, the Oldsmobile is not it.
Even MORE vote against the Lincoln now with no mechanical or electrical experience.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 26th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Pay attn - he is 21 y/o but mentioned that most females his age are into Rice Grinders that have air conditioning!! Sheesh, LOL!!!
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Ok, for arguments sake, there is a $5k difference between what you will sell the Cutlass for and buy the Lincoln. You can do alot of upgrades to your Cutlass for that! It would outperform and have the wow factor (except for a very small group who actually like the Lincolns) that your looking for!

Motor upgrade, $2500-3000, transmission, $400 max + converter, rear end $500!! Add another $700 for misc, and your there!

Go to a local car show, take a look at the lack of/ and, or amount of people crowding around cars! Look at the 72 and below models and then look at the 73-??? models, you tell me which are more popular!!

Another .02 from me. But hey, I'm 53!

Bullseye! You hit it on the spot with this one and I am 30 years old. This is some good sound advice. I suggest taking it and running with it.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:09 AM

You don't need $20,000 into that Cutlass to be faster then that Genesis coupe ....it's not that fast my man.
That Genesis might have 300hp but it only does 14.5 ET in the 1/4 because it seriously lacks torque.
I think Hyundai's are sweet , and I'm not an import hating old fart either.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ck-retest.html

For comparitive sake a Honda Civic SI does 14.5 in the quarter with a 4cylinder 200hp VTEC.
Sure you can modify it, but you can modify either one to be faster. Just gotta be smart in choosing options.
The laws of physics help the Genesis with weight, and hurt the Cutlass.
It's a LARGE vehicle. 3800lbs (Olds) vs 3389 (Hyundai)

You can honestly either put a 455 into the Cutlass if you want ***** out torque and care about nothing else.
Or you can update the drivetrain to a modern drivetrain for less then $6,000 and 400hp-500hp , with overdrive.

For starters, YES it's a Cutlass S, so it's not worth a whole lot even in numbers matching condition.
This is a GOOD THING from a custom standpoint, because you can modify that car to the hilt.

For example, I'm putting a 450-500hp LY6 6.0L lsx drivetrain with a T-56 6 speed in my 1970 442 clone (Cutlass S)
So decide if you want more power, or you want to drive it, or you want to sell it.
Face reality with new car depreciation buddy......
The Genesis coupe is not collectible and will be worth LESS then your Cutlass in just 7-10 years.

As for NEEDING the OAI Hood setup ?? No you definitely do not.
If this was my car, I'd buy the Aftermarket 442 hood, and start putting money towards a better motor.

$20,000 would include what I paid for the car, plus the upgrades. Bought the car for xxxx. Have probably another $500 into it, between little things.
You'll notice though that the Genesis was tested with the Gen 1 TCS system which was not fully defeat-able. That's been changed, the car has had a reflash and a tune. Yes it's still not a race car, but it's certainly up to par for most anything I'll encounter on the road. But enough about the GC.

I could find a 455, probably pretty cheap, and I've considered that. But buying a used engine sort of scares me, I don't know what'll be wrong with that, where it'll leak, etc. I've been looking, there aren't a lot near me that I would just drop right into my car.

Modifying the Cutlass "S" to the hilt would be nice, except thats what I meant about a $20,000 car I couldn't sell for $12,000. If I put a new drive train in, I would think a new up to date suspension would be a good next place to go. What good is a 400hp car that can't go around an on-ramp? This is the dilemna, none of any of this would add any real value to the car. So isn't i just a waste?

I really want more power, but want a car that I can drive. The OAI setup vs an aftermarket 442 hood, aren't those the same? The Thornton hood I mentioned is an aftermarket hood.

And I guess technically I already have money I could spend on a better motor, but what? I've looked through the ls swap forum, but the threads are so long it's hard to tell what kind of a project it'd actually be.

I'm getting the vibe here that someone passed and left you money for the Genesis and left you the Cutlass.
True ??
Absolutely the farthest possible thing from the truth here. Everything; the pre -fab garage, the cutlass, and the Genesis I paid for on my own, without assistance from anyone. That's why I don't want to "burn" more money on the Cutlass for nothing.

Any girl that would take a Hyundai over a 50's - 70's muscle car, is not a keeper!!\
Believe it or not, the Genesis gets more attention that the Cutlass. Yeah people look at it, but people actually talk to me about the Genesis. Just saying.
I don’t know how old you are, but any young women now a days, 20-25 per say do not want an old car. They are loud, no amenities, and they always have problems. Which is true, all of us are always working on something or another.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Having lived thru the late 70's and 80's and having several friends along with myself who owned luxury's cars from those years they are some of the worst cars ever built by American auto makers. Tons of electronic problems and no power. Even with the 460 the Lincoln is a slug. Buy what you want but be prepared for the "Money Pit". Now the Lincoln's from the 50's and 60's that's another story.

Another thing to consider, if your considering a car as an investment and not just a hobby, you're going to find hard to buy any car in the 20K range that will actually gain in value. That's why most of us do not consider the cost we just build what we want to enjoy it.

In any case good luck with your decision.
This is what I wanted to know. You've had similiar cars, if they we're shi* then, then they will still be. Good to know. And I did consider the Cutlass as an investment, from what I looked at and the prices of those cars to what my car was and what I paid It seemed like a hell of a deal. The car is exactly what it's supposed to be, that just isn't good enough for me.

Not for a 53 year old. LOL
That's almost two generations of difference in taste and interests.

I didn't realize this was a female. So now I understand.
She's not into gear wrenching is my guess and is lacking the knowledge to do so.
NOT A BAD THING by any means, none of us are born with car knowledge. Takes time to learn.
Hell last year I was asking to get help to pull an engine.

She's young, and this is a big thing to bite off for a young female just 21 years old.
I'd sell the Olds and get a modern car that has everything you want on it.
I think you'd be better off.

If you're looking for an investment vehicle, the Oldsmobile is not it.
Even MORE vote against the Lincoln now with no mechanical or electrical experience.
Not sure how it got started, but I'm male. And I clearly stated in an above thread I've swapped a motor and tranny before, so I can wrench on a car. Secondly I'm in school for mechanical engineering so I'm a technical person, so lets cut the "big thing to bite off" crap. And I already have a new car with the amenities I wanted, the Genesis Coupe has crusie, ac, rack/pinion steering, brembo brakes, LSD rear end, heated seats, nav, infinity stereo, leather, and enough power to spin through 3rd gear, and sometimes chirp into 4th. But again, given the circumstances, I did think of the Oldsmobile as an investment.

Pay attn - he is 21 y/o but mentioned that most females his age are into Rice Grinders that have air conditioning!! Sheesh, LOL!!!
Thank you for actually reading through the posts! Everyone else seems to simply skip and read what they feel like it. I feel like i'm answering the same questions time and time again, lol. Somehow I'm a female now? WTF?! What I meant by the comment was girls like to be comfortable, the old cars has "issues" rattles, or squeaks, or what not, girls don't like that. The Genesis Coupe is brand new, sporty, and they like that. If it was a 2010 Camaro SS, they'd like it the same, nothing to do with being a Korean Based Company. Lastly, "Rice" refers to Japan and the rice patties. Korea technically not a rice burner. Most American Car owners don't distinguish, but there is a difference.

Last edited by jpc647; March 11th, 2016 at 06:26 AM. Reason: .
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Rice grinder was slang for us OLDER FELLER's!, for anything made in asia!

I appreciate what your saying but think about it, your trading one old car that probably won't appreciate much (with the exception of the appreciation of the owner and others), for an old car that in my, and others opinions is overpriced, and again will not appreciate much (and is appreciated less and by a smaller group of folks) for more money! Look there is a car for everyone! Just put some thought into this! Reread all the opinions here, if you were my son I would be telling you the same thing, but the decision is ultimately yours!!

The reason I like old cars is because they are loud, no amenities, but they don't always have problems. Mine is a daill driver under constuction, so it's still in the upgrade mode! However when its all said and done I'll probably have about $16k in it and will probably enjoy it for a long time, or when someone decides they want it more than I do!

Good luck!

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 26th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Going by your original post and what you've said in your responses, it sounds like you've already thought this thing through and made a decision. Get rid of the Gutless Cutlass and move on to something else.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Rice grinder was slang for us OLDER FELLER's!, for anything made in asia!

I appreciate what your saying but think about it, your trading one old car that probably won't appreciate much (with the exception of the appreciation of the owner and others), for an old car that in my, and others opinions is overpriced, and again will not appreciate much (and is appreciated less and by a smaller group of folks) for more money! Look there is a car for everyone! Just put some thought into this! Reread all the opinions here, if you were my son I would be telling you the same thing, but the decision is ultimately yours!!
This was actually a really good point. I really enjoyed the Cutlass when I first bought it, and compared to the everyday car I had at the time, it was fast. Granted it's been a couple years since I bought the Olds, and it needs a tune-up bad, but I've gotten used to the "power" it has. Now with the new car, even being a v6, it not as nice of a Hobby car because I know my everyday car will outrun and out handle the Olds. Lets be honest, a 1972 Cutlass "S" stock is not very good around the corners, even with newer factory replacement suspension components, but it's 40 yr old technology against 1 year old technology.

The reason I like old cars is because they are loud, no amenities, but they don't always have problems. Mine is a daill driver under constuction, so it's still in the upgrade mode! However when its all said and done I'll probably have about $16k in it and will probably enjoy it for a long time, or when someone decides they want it more than I do!

Good luck!
I can understand this. I like the car being loud and such, I was saying most girls don't, because someone mentioned the Lincoln and my "dating life". In my mind, my hobby car should be better than my everyday car. Thats why we work on them and take care of them. But to make my 72 Cutlass perform more than a Genesis Coupe seems almost impossible, or very very expensive to the point it's ridiculous to consider it.
I guess my "solution" to this way to buy an old Luxury car then I'm not having this problem. a 79 Lincoln isn't a car anyone on the street is going to want to race you in, unlike the Cutlass. Every time I'm at a light and a newer mustang pulls up next to me, they rev the motor and such, and I know if I tried to run 'em It'd lose, hands down, and that bothers me. But I can wind the Genesis like a 10 day clock and keep right up with them or win.

Maybe I'm just cheap here, and maybe I'm worrying about things too much, like how much I spend on the car vs how much more the car goes up in value. I just thought of the Cutlass as "equity", if I ever ran into a tight spot, I could sell it for more than I paid and get by. If I spend too much on it to upgrade it, I'll lose that profit margin.

Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green
Going by your original post and what you've said in your responses, it sounds like you've already thought this thing through and made a decision. Get rid of the Gutless Cutlass and move on to something else.
I haven't made a decision yet, that's why I'm seeking responses from others, whom are older and have more car related experience. That's what Forums are for, right? I've learned already, the Lincoln probably isn't a good idea. So I'm probably not going to get it. Now it's what do I do with the Cutlass. I like old cars, I like the way it looks, just not how it performs. It'd like to be able to spin through all 3 gears in the Oldsmobile too, like I can in the Gen Coupe. If a v6 can do it, why can't a v8?
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Someone's post above mine made me think I missed something about you being a female...MAH BAD!!!!
So you're a young guy with mechanical skills. CHECK

$20,000 would include what I paid for the car, plus the upgrades. Bought the car for $6,500. Have probably another $500 into it, between little things.
OKay......so you have $7,000 into this Cutlass.....
SO where did you get this idea you could sell it for $16,000 ??

I'm not sure how you came up with $13,000 in upgrades either.....to come to $20,000.

But to make my 72 Cutlass perform more than a Genesis Coupe seems almost impossible, or very very expensive to the point it's ridiculous to consider it.
OhSnap-house.gif

That's funny. For someone who just spent $30,000-$35,000 in cash on a 14 second Hyundai
$6,000 invested into the Olds would make it faster quite easily and very drivable.
Total cost = 1/2 of the Hyundai into a car that's always appreciating while the other is depreciating annually.
I think you're missing that part of perception.

Example Alocker's 1972 Malibu is a daily driver with over 500hp and will destroy that Genesis and he's only into it for $17,000
http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-s...icagoland.html

Good luck with your sale on the Olds.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 26th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Many of us have kids your age or older so we are giving advice take it for what its worth - but that also means we were right were you were at one time

1) Most importantly - its your car - enjoy it so drive/keep the car you like and will be happy driving

2) Realistically I bet 60% - 70% of all cars built today are faster than my W30 - who cares I drive it because I want to drive it

3) which means I've learned to keep my testosterone in control, I never street race - no need to endanger anyone and my daily driver has 576 HP. Sure its nice knowing its fast but I only use that HP at the track and I was 40 before I got it.

4) which means good for you to have what you have already, I'd personally enjoy the Cutlass and take the 10k and put it in the stock market by the time you are 30 it will most likely triple in value

5) yes its cool to have a car chicks dig, but if that's only what they look at then your getting the wrong girls (not that you are I'm just pointing that out). My wife dated me when all I had was a beat up pickup truck - she could care less about what I drove - yet she loves the 442 but she didn't judge me based on cars (or looks)

6) I personally wouldn't buy a barge like that where so many parts are hard to come buy. I did have an old Cutlass when I was your age and back then it was hard to find some parts, and body parts were brutal - of course with the internet today you can find almost anything so that helps

7) if you do want another car why spend 20k on a car that won't increase that much and has limited buyers down the road, find a car that really gets you going or get rid of your Genesis and the Cutlass and buy a newer car you really like - faster, better mpg safer more reliable etc.
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM

you say the cutless is a hobby car,I have a 1973 olds 98,it is scsttered all over my garage,I figure if I spend 20,000 on it I should have a 8,000 car,but it's a hobby car and I enjoy my hobby.hobbies cost money with little or no return.I would jump at the chance to up grade the engine and drive train.
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Here is mt TWO CENTS---The Cutlass can be made to be A WHOLE LOT QUICKER and handle A WHOLE LOT BETTER for some well planned WORK, TIME, PARTS, and of course MONEY. Will you get any of that back? Possibly, depending on how much you "invest"(we'll come back to that) and how "marketable" it is when you decide you've finished. These cars, to most of us, are a passion and not an "investment". I have made plenty of money "playing" with classic cars but, the profits were a bonus. I NEVER have or probably NEVER ( I know never say never) will buy a classic car with the sole intention of trying to make a profit. If I don't absolutely LOVE a car I walk away from it---I only own what I plan to keep. Right now, I am in the process of a frame-off on a '72 myself. I am way "UPSIDE DOWN" money-wise but, it is what I like. Will I get my money back? If somebody likes it more than I do, I might. Will you get your money back for that new car you just bought? Probably not. Will you get your money back for that Lincoln? Probably not any time in the near future. See what I'm getting at? If you want to invest, buy something that is not what you choose to have as a hobby. I really think the Lincoln would be LESS fun for you than tweaking the Olds. Besides the lack of obtainable parts and electrical issues, that car IMHO is more likely to become less popular and valuable as time goes on.
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Here is my .02 for ya. My Daily driver is a 2007 Charger R/T with the Hemi. I thinks it's rated at 345 h.p. not really sure but it is faster than my Olds, handles better, has comfier seats, a/c, cd player, you name it. My daughters old boyfriend could not understand why I love my 442 more. I took for a ride last fall. We went out to the sticks and just wound her up and let her go. The feeling you get driving an old muscle car with the windows down and the exhaust just screaming is something I don't get in the Charger. After that little ride he agreed and is looking for one of his own.

They broke up before Christmas so I don't know if he found one, but the point is it will cost a few bucks to upgrade the Cutlass but I think asking it to perform and handle like a little ricer is asking a bit much.

Enjoy the car for what it is.

Last edited by cutlassjoe; August 26th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:52 PM

The problem is you are comparing a 40 year old car against your new Hyundai. I wouldn't compare my '71 against a 1931 Olds, it makes no sense, why? there's that 40 year gap in technology.
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
CQR

Now that I'm 40, I look back at the cars I have owned in the past, and really wish I would have done things different. Had I known what I had, I would have kept a lot of those cars and I would be much better off today. I would have kept 1 of the 3 70' torino gt's, the 81 camaro Z28, The 72 442 clone, and the 77 f250 highboy. I felt the need to constantly 'trade up' but I should have waited until I could have kept what I had and purchased what I wanted.

My .02
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Someone's post above mine made me think I missed something about you being a female...MAH BAD!!!!
So you're a young guy with mechanical skills. CHECK

OKay......so you have $7,000 into this Cutlass.....
SO where did you get this idea you could sell it for $16,000 ??
I'm not sure how you came up with $13,000 in upgrades either.....to come to $20,000.
I didn't say I get sell it for $16,000. Again, if you read my first post, I said I have $10,000 I could spend in addition to trading in the car. Given what other cars are selling for in my area, and the work(primarily body work) they need, I feel my car is worth somewhere around $10,000.

Now, upgrades? A complete 350 stock rebuild is going to be close to $3,000. to rebuilt it to stock is 190hp, which is clearly not going to be enough. So I have to assume I'm looking at another 1,500 to bump that up to something even respectable. So $4,500 in a motor, plus my time and effort to take the motor out, put it back in, everything else.

Then It'd have to rebuild the TH-350 to keep up, that has to be 1,500 to rebuild it to handle the power of the newly rebuilt motor. So we're at $6,000 now. Now I have to upgrade the rear and probably get a stronger drive shaft. Lets add another 1,000 here, conservatively. $7000 and I haven't touched the suspension.

Now I don't know what's available for a 72 cutlass as far as performance suspension, but It'd certainly need some boxed lower control arms, new performance based springs/shocks all around. Now were talking some money here. Most likely anything performance based won't bolt right up to stock holes, so now we're talking about custom work. Plus a rack and pinion style steering rack would be a plus. Now I'll admit, I haven't looked into the suspension upgrades what so ever for the Cutlass, but I can easily see this turning into a pile or worms. So to make this new upgraded car look good, I'm looking at paint. Now the car doesn't need any body work except a small ding in the drivers door, so I've gotta assume that's at least 3-4,000 for paint, for something respectable.

So a $13,000 figure in upgrades, is not that far off. So now It'd have $20,000 in a car that is worth what, 12,000-13,000? That's my problem. Now my car's paint isn't bad, but it's not fabulous. So to make this new upgraded car look good, I'm looking at paint. Now the car doens't need any body work except a small ding in the drivers door, so I've gotta assume that's at least 3-4,000 for paint, for something respectable. So there is 14,000 is upgrades.

That's funny. For someone who just spent $30,000-$35,000 in cash on a 14 second Hyundai
$6,000 invested into the Olds would make it faster quite easily and very drivable.
Total cost = 1/2 of the Hyundai into a car that's always appreciating while the other is depreciating annually.
I think you're missing that part of perception.

Example Alocker's 1972 Malibu is a daily driver with over 500hp and will destroy that Genesis and he's only into it for $17,000
Good luck with your sale on the Olds.
Correct I did just spend close to $30,000 on a car. But I can drive that car everyday for the next 10 years, and if anything breaks, it's under warranty. I have a 10 year, 100k mile wrap warranty, and I plan to use it. Breaking that out, thats $3,000 a year to drive a car and not have to worry about anything, a car that'll hold its own against most things on the road. I justify that because I travel quite a bit for work, the car is great on gas, and have power if I need it, and all the comfortable amenities one can need today. So yes, I spent a lot of money on a car that will depreciate, but, that car gets me to work everyday without fail, economically. I can't use a 40 year old Malibu with 500hp getting 12mpg as a daily driver, in New England that car is not drivable in the winter, the Genesis is, surprisingly good in snow.

What I was saying about spending an *** ton of money on the Olds is, If i spent close to 10,000 to upgrade it, the car only gains a small percentage of that in value. I could go spend that money on the car, and It'd be lucky to see a $2,000 return on the upgrades, what's the point? So how much is the Malibu appreciating? It's still for sale, so how good of a deal is it? Not much. 1-2 percent a year, if the economy improves? The old car market isn't what it used to be.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Many of us have kids your age or older so we are giving advice take it for what its worth - but that also means we were right were you were at one time

2) Realistically I bet 60% - 70% of all cars built today are faster than my W30 - who cares I drive it because I want to drive it

3) which means I've learned to keep my testosterone in control, I never street race - no need to endanger anyone and my daily driver has 576 HP. Sure its nice knowing its fast but I only use that HP at the track and I was 40 before I got it.
There is a big difference between a w30 and a stock cutlass. That W30 appreciates in value significantly more than a run of the mill cutlass. A W30 is a fun car to drive, a mean sounding car with an aggressive look. I wouldn't be considering selling my car if it was a W-30. Secondly, I don't want to wait until I'm 40 to have something to be proud of. To me, it seems like it would be much easier to accomplish that now, without all the responsibilities of the future.

4) which means good for you to have what you have already, I'd personally enjoy the Cutlass and take the 10k and put it in the stock market by the time you are 30 it will most likely triple in value
I have no idea about any of that. With people losing 1/3's of their retirement funds in the last few years, the stock market doesn't seem promising.

5) yes its cool to have a car chicks dig, but if that's only what they look at then your getting the wrong girls
I don't care too much about the dating scene, I think many of you are getting into this part too much. I've been in a relationship for 3 years and don't really care what some bimbo on the street corner thinks.

6) I personally wouldn't buy a barge like that where so many parts are hard to come buy.
This i agree too. After reading the posts here, and doing a few searches, the lincoln probably isn't for me.

7) if you do want another car why spend 20k on a car that won't increase that much and has limited buyers down the road, find a car that really gets you going or get rid of your Genesis and the Cutlass and buy a newer car you really like - faster, better mpg safer more reliable etc.
I don't want to get rid of the Genesis. Getting rid of them both would put me at what, an entry level vette? A zr1 camaro? A Boss mustang? Yes these are all powerful cars, but none of them something I can see myself driving everyday.

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Here is mt TWO CENTS---The Cutlass can be made to be A WHOLE LOT QUICKER and handle A WHOLE LOT BETTER for some well planned WORK, TIME, PARTS, and of course MONEY. Will you get any of that back? Possibly, depending on how much you "invest"(we'll come back to that) and how "marketable" it is when you decide you've finished. These cars, to most of us, are a passion and not an "investment". I have made plenty of money "playing" with classic cars but, the profits were a bonus. I NEVER have or probably NEVER ( I know never say never) will buy a classic car with the sole intention of trying to make a profit. If I don't absolutely LOVE a car I walk away from it---I only own what I plan to keep. Right now, I am in the process of a frame-off on a '72 myself. I am way "UPSIDE DOWN" money-wise but, it is what I like. Will I get my money back? If somebody likes it more than I do, I might. Will you get your money back for that new car you just bought? Probably not. Will you get your money back for that Lincoln? Probably not any time in the near future. See what I'm getting at? If you want to invest, buy something that is not what you choose to have as a hobby. I really think the Lincoln would be LESS fun for you than tweaking the Olds. Besides the lack of obtainable parts and electrical issues, that car IMHO is more likely to become less popular and valuable as time goes on.
Yes the Cutlass can be made quicker and better, but it seems the cost over weights, greatly, the benefits. I do agree, again, that the Lincoln is not a good choice for me. But as a 21 year old, what else is there to invest it, stock markets in the tank, I could put my money in a CD, but at the current rates, it's not worth tying my money up.

Originally Posted by greenslade
you say the cutless is a hobby car,I have a 1973 olds 98,it is scsttered all over my garage,I figure if I spend 20,000 on it I should have a 8,000 car,but it's a hobby car and I enjoy my hobby.hobbies cost money with little or no return.I would jump at the chance to up grade the engine and drive train.
What do you mean you'd jump at the chance? Is your motor not capable of being upgraded? I see if being more dangerous than good to upgrade the drivetrain and not the suspension at the same time. A 400hp car would be great, but if it still handles like the brick 72 cutlass that I have now, what good is it?
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't know where you are getting your prices for the engine, transmission and rear end but they seem really high to me. Maybe in your area they are that high. You could put a mildly warmed over 455 in there and this thing will have 500 foot lbs of torque and it will fly. I think at the end of the day you just want to sell the car. Go sell it and put the money in the bank or buy yourself some mods for you Hundai. One day you will regret selling the car. Seems like the most important thing is arguing with most of the folks on here. Just sell the damn car and be done.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM

May be new to the forum, but certainly not new to Oldsmobiles. You are WAY out of touch with reality here bub.

3 grand for a stock rebuild?? Who the heck are you having do the work?
1500 for a rebuilt Th350?? You can buy a brand spanking new one for about half that...heck I have a TH400 in great condition (daily drove it for a year before swapping it for an overdrive) that I traded a stripped parts car for...bought the car for $300 before I stripped out anything of value.

A stock rear and driveshaft will easily handle a mild rebuild.

New springs are about $300. Rack and Pinion?? Drastic overkill...pull a steering box from an 80's Monte SS or IROC and bam - quick ratio steering. Haven't checked them out in years, but I know you used to be able to buy inserts for your current control arms to box them for around $30...weld them in you're well under $100 including labor. There is no custom work necessary...look up Hotchkiss or Global West...all bolt in stuff you can piece together that will transform your car into a VERY good handling car.

Do the prep work yourself on the paint and you can make a Maaco paint job look respectable.

Sounds to me like you are making excuses to get rid of the Olds rather than putting in the leg work and actually researching what you're dealing with. Furthermore, you're still looking at the thing as an investment. Its not. Its a run of the mill Cutlass. There are VERY few cars in the world that are actually investments...and none of those are driven. The enjoyment from such a car comes from driving it...not selling it. There-again, the enjoyment comes from driving it...not comparing it to every car out there. Don't care how fast your Genesis is...its never going to have the feel of an old muscle car (I respect how nice new cars are...and like the advancements made...doesn't change what I just said). My obsession with such frivolous things came to an end when I started riding a stock sport bike capable of mid-9 second quarter mile times (with a good rider). Needless to say, you start enjoying things for what they are after experiencing such immense performance. My Jeep is fun to drive...even though it is painfully underpowered. My Cutlass is fun to drive...and it has plenty of power. My bike was fun to ride...and it was drastically overpowered.

The point of driving an old car is not that it handle better, accelerate faster, stop quicker, ride nicer, or have all of the luxuries of a modern car. That is beyond foolish to expect such things. Its to enjoy a vehicle from an era long gone...to be able to drive a car with terrible aerodynamics but incredible style that will never be seen again...to get back to the simple pleasure of man and machine...and with a run-of-the-mill model like yours - to make it exactly how you want it.

From your posts...you clearly aren't cut out for owning such a vehicle. Maybe you are and are just representing yourself poorly, but that is how you come across. Its not a personal attack...its showing you a mirror.

Good luck with your decision.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Woot....

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS
The point of driving an old car is not that it handle better, accelerate faster, stop quicker, ride nicer, or have all of the luxuries of a modern car. That is beyond foolish to expect such things.
Oh....I dunno.
I've seen some BAD *** G-machines built from classics.
Parts availability to make a PHENOMENAL handling track car are plentiful.

I'll be updating my Suspension to another Hotchkis TVS on my Olds as well.
I'm only posting this because it's an A-body so it's the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJM57HTenAo

Ever heard of Mary Pozzi in the Autocross scene with her 73 Camaro that beats the crap out of Porsche's and Vette's ???
I won't post her car up here since it's a Chevy, but she's got a very badass car, and now it's LS powered and Carbon Fibered up.
http://www.pozziracing.com/

There's an S71 suspension 1971 Oldsmobile they built on V8 TV as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lve5jWvazjk

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 27th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Woot....

Oh....I dunno.
I've seen some BAD *** G-machines built from classics.
Parts availability to make a PHENOMENAL handling track car are plentiful.
Yes, there are...I've seen them running with modern 'Vettes...but that isn't the reason to start with an old car, now is it?
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Yes, there are...I've seen them running with modern 'Vettes...but that isn't the reason to start with an old car, now is it?
For me, I prefer the modern lines of the classics with the power and comfort of modern cars.

Why?? Here's my reasons.....
#1. How often do you see badass powered classics daily driven?? Rarely.

#2. How often do you see Vette's?? Daily......they're like belly buttons around here.
Now a Dodge Viper while it's beaten by the Z06 turns waaaaaay more heads because it's RARELY seen.

#3. Because classics are ALWAYS appreciating.
Modern cars just bomb in value. Granted, Vette's do retain their value better then most.\

#4. Plus it costs you LESS to take a lower valued average Oldsmobile and build a badass tailored car out of it.

These are going to stand out Waaaaaaay more then the everyday Vette you see on the street.
I just laughed......if you google "Pro-touring 442" my Camaro pops up a few times. LOL

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 27th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM

For me, I prefer the modern lines of the classics with the power and comfort of modern cars.

Why?? Here's my reasons.....
#1. How often do you see badass powered classics daily driven?? Rarely.
#2. Because classics are ALWAYS appreciating.
Modern cars just bomb in value. Granted, Vette's do retain their value better then most.
Right there with you...I've been modernizing everything under the sheetmetal (and upholstery) from day one on mine. And I built it to drive...not sit pretty
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM

And I built it to drive...not sit pretty
You and me both brother.

There will only be ONE 442 like mine in the world. You can bet on that.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
delete

Obviously no 72 Cutlass "S" is worth the $20,000 he's asking for the car,
No '79 Lincoln either.

Quick Reply: Considering Trading in the Cutlass