The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Dallas Texas members meet

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM

It was great meeting all of you guys, too! I will get the pictures up tomorrow, as i am too tired now.
Stopped to get gas on the way home and got to talking with a guy who had a 71 Cutlass long ago. He was the driver of a big rig, filling the station tanks. Nice old fellow...
I got home, took a shower, and it started pouring down rain. Got home just in time it seems!
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:43 AM

Same here!!!! We need to keep this going. Maybe once a month or two????? Thanks for the idea Steve!!
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:08 AM
car guy

Nice to meet you new guys and see a few familiar faces I have not seen in a while. I'm in for an occational meetup. Might even bring a car some day.
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Well, here are the pictures from yesterday's private car show! Only three cars, but more Olds than you see at a typical Dallas car show!
The setting sun provided a unique backdrop to an evening in the mid 80s, due to an earlier rain shower.

Here they are together when i first arrived...

And individually from nearest to farthest.
Rob's 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible...

1966 442 owned by a (hopefully) future member!

And Joe's 1968 Hurst/Olds...

And an emphasis on the sunset...

I am proud to say my car was the dirtiest of them all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3330.jpg (69.8 KB, 153 views)
IMG_3333.jpg (80.8 KB, 150 views)
IMG_3332.jpg (80.5 KB, 152 views)
IMG_3334.jpg (81.1 KB, 153 views)
IMG_3331.jpg (54.5 KB, 153 views)
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM

And here is a group shot of members, along with a couple non-members (although enthusiasts)!

Here is another swapping in the camera operator...

As we were eating outside at Sonic, a Dallas PD officer drives up, parks, gets out, and starts looking the cars over.
I almost though Joe would get a ticket for an inspection sticker being expired since 1968! However he was just admiring them.
I grabbed this picture in side thought, and it blurred since it was dark and I had to run out from around the trees. We both waved to each other then I snapped the picture. Cool!

I agree we should do this more often after it gets cooler. Yesterday we were lucky on the temperature, since the early afternoon rains caused the evening temp to be in the mid 80's rather than the now-normal low 100s...
Attached Images
IMG_3327.jpg (69.0 KB, 152 views)
IMG_3328.jpg (61.9 KB, 154 views)
IMG_3335.jpg (55.7 KB, 152 views)
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Anyone planning a similar get together between 09/27 - 10/08?. I wanted to make our trip a week later to take in the NTOC display at state fair but my boss says no, too bad.

It would be great to meet up with you guys, I definitely won't be bringing my Olds, I think the excess baggage charge works out to about $40k. And Oldsmobiles no longer feature on rental car lineups.

I met up with a guy from GBodyforum at cars'n'coffee at Leander (just north of Austin) last time we were over, great guy and great cars. We'd love to do something like that again.

Roger.
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM

What a great get together..talkin' Oldsmobile's at the Sonic:0 Thanks for the pics Rob, I hope we can arrange a Fall meeting of the "North Texas CO Gang"
Great to meet a few new guys, and say hello to a few old faces..
Rocket On!
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Anyone planning a similar get together between 09/27 - 10/08?. I wanted to make our trip a week later to take in the NTOC display at state fair but my boss says no, too bad.

It would be great to meet up with you guys, I definitely won't be bringing my Olds, I think the excess baggage charge works out to about $40k. And Oldsmobiles no longer feature on rental car lineups.

I met up with a guy from GBodyforum at cars'n'coffee at Leander (just north of Austin) last time we were over, great guy and great cars. We'd love to do something like that again.

Roger.
Roger, roger...

Let us know when you'll be in the area. I'm SURE we can all get together - epecially with all the usual suspects from the NTOC...
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Can we make closer to the South end of DFW? Do any of you guys ever make it to Busy B's Bakery on Sunday mornings?

I'll try n make it for Roger's visit! Just could not get away from work yesterday, and I'm probably 2 hrs from where you guys met up! Looks like it was a good time and no-one was arrested, so thats an additional perk, LOL.
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks like a great time was had by all, including the po-lice. BTW Rob? You gotta change that post - the '67' is actually a 66... I'm skurprized you didn't know dat!! Like I know a lot myself.....

Last edited by Allan R; August 10th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM

I just came across this thread, internet has been down this week, maybe next time.
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM

It's not a party until the cops show up.

A little selfish, but Austin would be great. Meeting another CO member (texas69) at the Burke Rally next weekend out by the Salt Lick if anyone is in the area.
http://www.burkerally.com/
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
It's not a party until the cops show up.
Yep, leave it to that crazy Houstoner to start trouble!
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM

It was good to meet you guys and see the great looking cars.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442kid
Hey! Another new member!! Welcome to the group!!

Can I make a suggestion? Usually the newbies start out by introducing themselves in the Newbie forum to formally say Hi! to the whole C.O. gang. I know that you prolly already feel like you know most all the guys from your get together, but really there's a whole bunch of us waiting to jump all over you and welcome you to the site. Then we unanimously demand you post pics of your car.

BTW, was your car the 66 442? I already know Joe and Robs cars.
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ah hah! That would explain the Sept 2011 join date.....sorry bout dat 442kid. Y'all gots to get on here more!
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Steve,

The tires on the Hurst are Goodyear Polyglas G70X14 bias ply with the .350 width white wall. You can buy buy the same tire in the Firestone repo version at Summit for a lot less delivered (plus save on the sales tax of course) and get the same look:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/***-55260/

There's lots of threads about whether Firestones or Goodyears or Uniroyal is the correct brand(s) in 1972, but a G70X14 whitewall tire was available on 442's in 1972 - what I'm not sure about is the correct whitewall width , but I think you mentioned you are not concerned with that anyway.

BTW, thanks again for motivating us all to get together. It's refreshing to see some younger guys getting involved and keeping the hobby alive.
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Worked a bit on profile. Will post pics of convertible later.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Glad to meet you and hope to see you around more!

Originally Posted by costpenn
Steve,

The tires on the Hurst are Goodyear Polyglas G70X14 bias ply with the .350 width white wall.
I was admiring those tires when i was there - even the decal on the spare's tread looked period correct!

When the weather is tolerable, it would be great to do this every month or two. Sonic turned out to be a convenient place.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Lynn and I are scheduled to arrive in DFW at 16.30 on Thursday 09/27. Probably another two hours to clear customs and collect the rental car then we are ready to come out to play. We plan on staying somewhere in the metroplex overnight and going to State Fair the next day.

We will making our way to Llano (70 miles nw of Austin) from there and sometime we will make a trip to Utah via NM and Arizona and returning via Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma.

We need to check in at DFW around 13.00 on Tuesday 10/09 for our home flight.

Apart from our arrival and departure nothing is set in stone, we hope to get together with some of you guys any time between those dates.
From our point of view 27-28/09 would suit us best, but we don't expect anyone to arrange their lives around our schedule.

Roger.
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Worked a bit on profile. Will post pics of convertible later.
I see you've got an album going there! Please tell me the engine is gold and that it looks silver because of the flash....

The CS in the picture looks like a hardtop. Do you also have a vert?
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM

the engine is gold , I also have a project 71 cutlass convertible.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Well here is a picture of my car. I was not able to bring it the day we all met but was able to get it up and running in time for Summers Last Blast in Vernon, Tx. More pics to follow.
Attached Images
IMAG1065.jpg (103.2 KB, 27 views)
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Alex, that is a beautiful looking color on your car. Obviously still a work in progress. One thing that drives me bonkers though...

Your headlight bezels are on wrong. The are upside down on the wrong sides. If you go look at them closely you will see the semi circle cutout used to align the high beams should be at the top of the bezel, not the bottom. The gap across the front should be uniform depth all the way from one end to the other
Compare to this for reference:

I see you need a front park/signal lens on the d.s. If no one down there has any handy I have a couple. Is that an OEM hood or aftermarket? What do you use to hold it down for now - the hood locks look like they're not installed.

Just curious - did you pull the wipers at any time? They should park down out of sight when they turn off.

You're going to have a gorgeous car when it's all done!
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the pic and I will make the change on the headlight Bezels when I go back to the shop.

I lost the turn signal lens when driving to Vernon somehow. I will have to order new ones.

The hood is an aftermarket. Got it made from Rob at Fiberconcepts and I'm still able to use my factory hood latch. I have the hood locks, just haven't had them installed yet..

As far as my wipers go. I had the motor replace and I guess they were never put on right. But I have to take it back to the shop cause on the way back to Dallas they stopped working and it was raining...Not Good At All!!!!!

Thank you for the likes on the color. Its coming along.
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Alex,
I'm interested in your opinion of the Fibreconcepts hood. How was the fitment? Any issues with lineup of evenness along the fender and leading edges?
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Alex,
I'm interested in your opinion of the Fibreconcepts hood. How was the fitment? Any issues with lineup of evenness along the fender and leading edges?
Hey Allan, here's a pic of the underside of a FC hood that I'm having reworked. The painter guy is cleaning up all the joint sloppiness and smoothing all the surfaces to where it almost looks like a OEM hood. He's had to do some pretty involved work cleaning up the scoops and trimming the back for the lip molding as well as having to take varying amounts off the fender meeting joint to get a consistant gap. Also, the topside of the hood was depressed down anywhere from a sixteenth to an eighth where the airbox below was bonded to the top surface - might have been a result of the curing process.

Probably should have just bought a Thornton - even at the 2500.00 price
Attached Images
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Cheese and Rice Al! The guy gets his first pic up and you tear it apart lmao! J/k! Good catch on the headlight bezels...I would never have seen that in the picture. Alex, you have a beautiful car...wish I could've seen it when I was there
Cheese and Rice??? Never heard of that one Steve. That thing with the headlight bezels just bugs me for some reason. I don't mind seeing it on a work in progress and helping out, but when I see it on a 'factory correct concourse frame off documented restoration" I just about puke. I obviously need to move to TX so I can be part of the exclusive good looking car group! But I'd never last in a black interior car without AC.

Originally Posted by costpenn
Hey Allan, here's a pic of the underside of a FC hood that I'm having reworked. The painter guy is cleaning up all the joint sloppiness and smoothing all the surfaces to where it almost looks like a OEM hood. He's had to do some pretty involved work cleaning up the scoops and trimming the back for the lip molding as well as having to take varying amounts off the fender meeting joint to get a consistant gap. Also, the topside of the hood was depressed down anywhere from a sixteenth to an eighth where the airbox below was bonded to the top surface - might have been a result of the curing process.

Probably should have just bought a Thornton - even at the 2500.00 price
I'm really disappointed to hear about that. Did you call Rob at FC and tell him about this? From when I talked with him, he sounded like the kind of guy who would warranty or replace a defective hood. There's a huge difference in price between that hood and Thornton, but I was really interested in FC because of the reinforcing for the hood latch and factory springs.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Ok, I'm very happy with my hood. It fits very good. It has a slight bend in the middle but you would have to be right up on it to notice. I'll see if I can find a pic when I first install it on the car. So, I guess to answer your ? about the evenness along the fender and leading edges. it was some issues but as time when on I hardly notice. Alignment was good just moved the hinges in a little.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Rob makes a very good product. A little more $$ but I'm gald I brought from him.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Steve-- I was thinking of putting 350 where the oldsmobile emblem goes on the grill or just leave it like it is.. I'm putting the oldsmobile letter on the trunk. I'm gald that Allan notice the mistakes I made. I think I was just too lazy to change them around. Also, I'm still planning to drive it to Houston so I will get your contact info so I can meet up with you and hopefully the guys there. I remember you telling me about a car show in Sept.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
Steve-- I was thinking of putting 350 where the oldsmobile emblem goes on the grill or just leave it like it is.
Alex, do you want me to check for the park light lens for you? I might even have a spare 'Oldsmobile' script - but no promises on that. I know I have a spare Cutlass trunk Script - but that was only on the fastback models. I wouldn't put 350 numbers on the grill. IMO it would look tacky - there are others on the site who have put the Olds script on the grill and it looks really good. If you leave it with nothing? From head on it will look like there's something missing on the right side grill. The backing for the numbers will sort of stand out.

Steve - thx for the info on the fitment of the script. I've already installed 442 numbers on my grill, but I don't know if I'll keep them. But you know 72 - it's one of the easiest years to clone into a W29 and no one would really know!!!
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I think I have some spare ones in the shed. I just have to look for them. I will keep you posted on that Allan.

I would have to look at some pics on the grills. I really didn't care for the on the factory grills.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Here are some more pics of the car and hood.. The last picture is when we took it out the box for a test fit.
Attached Images
imagejpeg_2_8.jpg (99.4 KB, 24 views)
imagejpeg_2_9.jpg (90.6 KB, 22 views)
imagejpeg_2_25.jpg (76.9 KB, 23 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I would have to look at some pics on the grills. I really didn't care for the on the factory grills.
Here is an example I stole from one of our members ziff396. They look awesome. I believe Steve also did the same with his car. Maybe he can post a pic of his grills.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here are some more pics of the car and hood.. The last picture is when we took it out the box for a test fit.
LOL, how on earth did you take a pic of yourself filling the car??? I know....magic!!
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Haha!! My buddy took the picture. I still have to put on the emblems but I just had to take it out on the highway..lol

I saw the pictures of the grills. It will have to grow on me.. I might just put them on and see how it goes..
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:29 PM

WOW!! I don't want anyone saying that Steve and I'm not that crazy to over do it with 442 emblems. I'll order the oldsmobile emblem and see how I feel once its on.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Cheese and Rice??? Never heard of that one Steve. That thing with the headlight bezels just bugs me for some reason. I don't mind seeing it on a work in progress and helping out, but when I see it on a 'factory correct concourse frame off documented restoration" I just about puke. I obviously need to move to TX so I can be part of the exclusive good looking car group! But I'd never last in a black interior car without AC.

I'm really disappointed to hear about that. Did you call Rob at FC and tell him about this? From when I talked with him, he sounded like the kind of guy who would warranty or replace a defective hood. There's a huge difference in price between that hood and Thornton, but I was really interested in FC because of the reinforcing for the hood latch and factory springs.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the hood. Rob seems like a good guy in my dealings with him. I think to get it to the level of quality that this project turned out requiring is probably more than the hood was designed to deliver. I am up to 23 hours at 60.00 per to get it where I want it. For another 500.00, the Thornton, with the complete steel subframe would have probably been, in the the long term, the better way to go.
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM

I agree with you Joe. I was debating for so long if I should get a Thornton hood. Maybe on my next cutlass I will get one. This is my first restore so I didn't want to go over the budget..

Quick Reply: Dallas Texas members meet