The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Evil does exist.... school shooting

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
To me, the first question to be answered is why a guy with as much apparent mental illness as this guy had was allowed to own guns at all.
He wasn't.

He took them from his mother's house after he killed her.

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Senior Moment Member

I like this solution.

This is a two birds, one stone scenario. I would assist returning military and former military with employment by hiring 1 - 2 to police each of our schools. Those in authority in the school, Principal, Vice, Deans, would be trained and armed as well.

I CANNOT believe this discussion has to be had after every one of these occurrences. These are happening at so called "gun free zones", yeah "gun free" except for the mad man that IS ARMED WITH A FRICKIN GUN!!!

Last edited by z11375ss; December 15th, 2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: defamatory statements
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Always room for one more

"When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

Don't know who said this but I think it's pretty spot on.
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM

My heart goes out for all the families here---those that DID lose a child and those whose children will have this burned into their memories for the rest of their lives. It is so tragic that words don't even come close to describing the loss these people are enduring. The fallout will continue for a LONG time. What has happened to this great country where we live that some are killing innocent people for revenge. This needs to stop-NOW-
I will pray for those affected and hope that the rest of the world will, too.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think I hear a keychain jingling.

I could type about an encyclopedia's worth of political commentary here, but I won't.

Suffice to say, as I think most will agree, that complex problems rarely have simple solutions.

I will be watching and listening for more information about this horribly tragic crime.

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I like this solution.

This is a two birds, one stone scenario. I would assist returning military and former military with employment by hiring 1 - 2 to police each of our schools. Those in authority in the school, Principal, Vice, Deans, would be trained and armed as well.

I CANNOT believe this discussion has to be had after every one of these occurrences. These are happening at so called "gun free zones", yeah "gun free" except for the mad man that IS ARMED WITH A FRICKIN GUN!!!
I hear you, Jim. And the funny thing is, if the principal had been carrying, and shot the madman, he'd be arrested. Then the madman's poor auntie Emma would probably win 10 million dollars because the evil outlaw Principal took her sister and nephew from her.

Things are coming to a point where burglars will be able to sue you for bruising their toe when they kicked your door in.

I agree on former military personnel as security.
A policeman would be less desirable in my opinion since the new crop of youthful officer's attitudes are geared more toward building cases against people like lawyers and busting heads open.
People are so sleazy nowadays that the police end up having to utilize that mentality.

Bums me out when my enlisted buddies come back and end up unloading semis on night shift at retail stores, or delivering pizzas.
Although, it was pretty awesome when my buddy Kyle came home from the navy and got a job at the local NAPA.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He wasn't.

He took them from his mother's house after he killed her.
OK, this just brings up 10 more questions. Why does this kindergarten teacher own two handguns and an assault rifle? Regardless of the answer to that question, why does she have them stored in such away that her mentally ill son has access to them?

The answer to the problem here is not with the president or the governor or the police or better control over who can get into a school or gun control laws or whatever. Rather, the answer is much closer to home. It's taking responsibility for the deadly weapons you own.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Now they're saying he didn't get in to the building by being buzzed in. He just shot out a window. Nothing short of barred windows and barbed wire will keep someone out of a school who is determined to get in.

They're also saying that his mother had no connection at all to the school, and they still don't know what the shooter's connection was, if any.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...hool-massacre/
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Then again, this sort of thing is apparently relatively routine in Chicago.

10 shot, including 4 teens, Friday afternoon and night

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,912168.story
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM

As the information trickles out we're all spectulating on what could have been done to prevent this. We want to understand. We want our children to be safe. But if some twisted person wants to strike out in a big way they'll do it. If they don't have access to a gun, it could be driving a car through a crowd. It could be lighting a theater on fire. Crashing an airplane into a grade school. It could even be a suicide bomber... something that other countries deal with on a regular basis. I pray that never comes to our country, but am not optimistic. 9/11 taught us that the US is vulnerable to acts of terror.

I started this thread when I saw the headlines and said that evil exists. I still believe that. But let's try not to get into the weeds when we disagree with one another. None of us knows for sure exactly what led to this. Let's allow each other to hold different views and not bash one another. I have appreciated reading through the posts and learned from several of them. I don't want the thread to be locked, but if it gets too heated it will be.

John
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't want the thread to be locked, but if it gets too heated it will be.

What are your reading here that I'm not? I don't see any indication at all that thing are getting heated. They're not even mildly lukewarm. The only thing I can see that might happen is that it degenerates into a debate about gun control. But I don't see any indication of that so far. I think people are respectful and just expressing what they're thinking.

Last edited by jaunty75; December 15th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Like I said, I won't say the games made any kid "bad"...it's the parent's job to teach that child the difference between the "game" and real life. And if at any time the game begins to dominate the child's attention, it should be prohibited.

What I think is happening is that parents use the games as a babysitter and let the kids play them non-stop, without supervision. In the end, it is the parent's job to identify whether or not their child is affected by whatever game they play and take necessary action to eliminate any activity that may influence the child's behavior.
I tell my son ALL the time that the game is ONLY a game , and it's pretend .... He surprises me at times when he brings this fact up all on his own without me saying anything . I WOULD not let my kid play these things AT all , but when they see dad doing it from time to time , I guess I folded after a while . The games he plays are all older games that are no where near as bad as the incident you described in the Call Of Duty game . I would probably have this game already , but I can't afford or justify spending that kind of money on a game at this point in time . The only game that comes close to that game , as far as life like graphics , and the actual shooting of another individual is Medal Of Honor from like 10 years ago . ( PC game ) I play this online against other individuals from across the globe . I've played this off and on for the last 8 years , mostly off then on now , because I just don't have time because of work and other important life issues , and of course my 72 CS . Hopefully this shows him that there is more important things to do in life then just playing video games . I have been guilty at times letting my boy play to many games . I guess because it keeps him busy , especially when his ADHD along with his defiant disorder is getting to much to bear .
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

OK, this just brings up 10 more questions. Why does this kindergarten teacher own two handguns and an assault rifle? Regardless of the answer to that question, why does she have them stored in such away that her mentally ill son has access to them?

I wondered the same thing myself . Especially the type of weapons that they were ..... Sig Sauer , assault rifle , and I forget the other hand gun she had that the sicko used .
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM

What are your reading here that I'm not? I don't see any indication at all that thing are getting heated. They're not even mildly lukewarm. The only thing I can see that might happen is that it degenerates into a debate about gun control. But I don't see any indication of that so far. I think people are respectful and just expressing what they're thinking.
I was thinking the same thing and almost posted but I didn't. I didn't want my post about there not being a fight to turn into a fight lol!

I did do a re-read to see if I missed something and the only thing I saw was that Z edited one of his posts...who knows? Maybe he said something he shouldn't have.
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM

The mother was apparently an avid gun collector and once proudly showed her son the rifle. They're also saying they're getting good evidence as to what the motive was, although they're not actually announcing it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BD0U120121215
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM

yep, quite frustrating that children are killing children, my neighborhood is just east of the Austin area - it puts into perspective the difficulties of this world and economy - plenty of wonderful people live there but definitely lower social economic backgrounds - 6 blocks north of me there are million dollar Frank Lloyd Wright mansions.

Old December 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It is. Chicago has been anti-gun for a LONG time, and had guns banned altogether.
Fish in a barrel.
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Chicago has been anti-gun for a LONG time, and had guns banned altogether.
I always thought that individual cities or states banning guns was worthless because it's so easy to just go to the next city over or an adjoining state if you live near a border, buy a gun, and bring it in. For a ban to have any chance of working, not that I'm advocating a position one way or the other here, it has to be nationwide. Even then, though, guns would find their way in.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I was thinking the same thing and almost posted but I didn't. I didn't want my post about there not being a fight to turn into a fight lol!

I did do a re-read to see if I missed something and the only thing I saw was that Z edited one of his posts...who knows? Maybe he said something he shouldn't have.
Ah, Bananas! I posted a link to a youtube video that had Aussie's telling what happened to their country since the gubbermint took their guns away. The mods apparently thought this was incendiary. You can see it on youtube. The post I edited had some wrongful comments about police in general which I didn't think belonged here. What the heck is an assault rifle?
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
NOVICE car nut

What the heck is an assault rifle?
I'm sure someone can get a better description of this , but an assault rifle has a shorter barrel used for more or less close range fighting ( hard to hunt with ) , and all the fancy wood and weight is basically removed to make lighter , giving it the military look also ..... also if you add the 100 round clip or drum , you now have an assault rifle . Obviously being fully automatic would complete the transformation , but that would be illegal here and most other places . If I missed anything , or if I'm out of my gord .... Please let me know .

Example ...... I had to sell my 1945 WWII British Lee Enfield .303 assault rifle a couple of years ago for money .....

This is what I had , complete with Bayonet , but in waaaay better condition .... It's bolt action , but they consider this a assault rifle too .

Last edited by oldsguybry; December 15th, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added info
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
NOVICE car nut

I'm seeing posts dissapear that I was going to comment on .... Am I losing it or something ?
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Old School Olds

Don't feel bad. My comment was removed as well.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Ah, Bananas! I posted a link to a youtube video that had Aussie's telling what happened to their country since the gubbermint took their guns away. The mods apparently thought this was incendiary. You can see it on youtube. The post I edited had some wrongful comments about police in general which I didn't think belonged here. What the heck is an assault rifle?
I found it...I shared it on my fb page. Another good one is put on by Showtime, it's Penn and Teller's show called "B/S". Check it out on youtube, it's about 30 min. long. I shared that one on my fb page as well.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
Why!
Did you delete your own "no comment" post or was that deleted for you? LMAO!
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
vato
Are you on drugs? What is wrong with you?
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I'm sure someone can get a better description of this , but an assault rifle has a shorter barrel used for more or less close range fighting ( hard to hunt with ) , and all the fancy wood and weight is basically removed to make lighter , giving it the military look also ..... also if you add the 100 round clip or drum , you now have an assault rifle . Obviously being fully automatic would complete the transformation , but that would be illegal here and most other places . If I missed anything , or if I'm out of my gord .... Please let me know .

Example ...... I had to sell my 1945 WWII British Lee Enfield .303 assault rifle a couple of years ago for money .....

This is what I had , complete with Bayonet , but in waaaay better condition .... It's bolt action , but they consider this a assault rifle too .

FWIW, That looks like an Enfield "jungle Carbine" to me. I don't consider bolt action rifles as "Assault weapons'
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Let's all watch what we are posting - read them through well before submitting. The admins are deleting posts that either have complaints reported on them or are in bad taste. We can close the thread, but I know we can all do better.

This was a very unfortunate tragedy and sad to say, they are way too hard to prevent. The larger the population gets, the more bad apples we get in the mix, not to mention not enough $$ and jobs to go around to make things even worse.
It can happen anywhere at any time by anyone. We just hope it does not happen again. We will never completely safe...
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:01 AM

If you create a culture that loves cars it makes sense to me that there will be lots of cars around, and lots of car accidents. With an increasing number of cars around, the chance that a crazy person will get access to a car and wreak havoc will increase.

With a culture of car lovers there will be many car owners, and many of them will have more than one car. The responsible car owners will lock their cars in a garage. The less responsible ones might park their cars in front with the keys left in. Some cars will be used to get work done, some will be used to look cool. Some cars will be used for crime, some will be used for justice.

I don't want the government to take away our cars. I like to live in a free society where I can go wherever I like feeling safe that my car will take me home at the end of the day. But with all the people dying, both the bad drivers and the innocent ones in the passenger's seat, it will Is it good for people to love cars so much and have such easy access to them?
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:56 AM

Just my 2 cents... I have never heard of a shooting spree at Fort Knox.

May God be with all involved in Ct.
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Just my 2 cents... I have never heard of a shooting spree at Fort Knox.
True, but they did have on at Fort Hood, where regulations have mandated for many years that only MPs (and private contractor police) may be armed.

- Eric
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:01 AM
L69

This was a sad day in American History. My condolences to all the families affected.

Here is the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_H...chool_shooting
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Past Administrator

There has been some self-moderation, and some work by our mods to keep this thread "friendly" thanks to you all for the efforts.
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by highwayman
something to think about;

the largest mass killing in this country was 9-11, ~ 3000 dead. Weapons were box cutters and airplanes.

Next was oklahoma city, 168 dead. Weapon was a truck load of fertilizer.

Then 87 dead from arson at the happy land social club, the bronx, new york, 1990. Weapon was a can of gasoline.

The largest school massacre was in bath, michigan, in 1927. 44 dead. Weapon was explosives.

Gun laws don't fix evil.
x2
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Old School Olds

^^^x3
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket Richard
If you create a culture that loves cars it makes sense to me that there will be lots of cars around, and lots of car accidents. With an increasing number of cars around, the chance that a crazy person will get access to a car and wreak havoc will increase.

With a culture of car lovers there will be many car owners, and many of them will have more than one car. The responsible car owners will lock their cars in a garage. The less responsible ones might park their cars in front with the keys left in. Some cars will be used to get work done, some will be used to look cool. Some cars will be used for crime, some will be used for justice.

I don't want the government to take away our cars. I like to live in a free society where I can go wherever I like feeling safe that my car will take me home at the end of the day. But with all the people dying, both the bad drivers and the innocent ones in the passenger's seat, it will Is it good for people to love cars so much and have such easy access to them?
This is where I lean with this debate. I like guns, I like to shoot guns, I can't tell yo the last time I did though, and I refuse to own one with kids in the house, eventually I'll have grand-kids. Automobile laws have come a long way. No one likes too much government, why are there seat-belt laws - because too many people would not wear them if there wasn't when its proven they save more lives than not. As car guys we can all talk about the few times the belt has caused a death, but it has saved many more lives.

I don't know the answer either. I just feel it is too easy to get semiautomatic guns but if you outlaw them we would still have them. I don't smoke pot either but I think we should legalize it, I think that alone would reduce a third of the murders around the country. Its sad that gun deaths here in Chicago is just a normal part of a weekend.
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Senior Moment Member

A good article by Denninger, again. http://market-ticker.org/ Did you guys know the mall shooter a while back stopped shooting and killed himself because someone drew down on him? Never saw this in the MSM. Why not?

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...r-2515072.html
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM

A good article by Denninger, again. http://market-ticker.org/ Did you guys know the mall shooter a while back stopped shooting and killed himself because someone drew down on him? Never saw this in the MSM. Why not?

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...r-2515072.html

Interesting, but again he wasn't concealing a semi automatic rifle. And I would have to question if even 50% of the people have the discipline this guy had to not just start shooting back. I don't know that I would. I live in a town that bans guns, I like the idea of allowing ccw but will that turn us into a nation of first to draw wins?
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Always room for one more

Years ago the city of Berwyn, IL passed a law saying everyone must own a gun. An odd law for sure and they didn't, to my knowledge, actively enforce this law, but crime went to near zero because the bad guys knew there was a better chance of getting shot if they broke into a house.

I don't know if the law is still there. This was in the 80s.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Years ago the city of Berwyn, IL passed a law saying everyone must own a gun. An odd law for sure and they didn't, to my knowledge, actively enforce this law, but crime went to near zero because the bad guys knew there was a better chance of getting shot if they broke into a house.

I don't know if the law is still there. This was in the 80s.
Did you live there? That kind of rings a bell but I would have said its a urban legend it you asked me that now. I'll ask, I know some berwyn leos. As for crime there now there is plenty. Lots of gangs in Berwyn and Cicero.
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Did you live there? That kind of rings a bell but I would have said its a urban legend it you asked me that now. I'll ask, I know some berwyn leos. As for crime there now there is plenty. Lots of gangs in Berwyn and Cicero.

Hi Steven. This sounded familiar to me too, but not knowing the details I did a search and came up with this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/firearm-owne...s-1418143.html

This search said it was actually a town in Georgia that required gun ownership in response to a to a town in Illinois, Morton Grove passing a ban of hand gun ownership. According to the search results this happened in 1982 and since then the town in Georgia has had low firearm related crimes and the one in Illinois has gone up. But you'll have to read through this and maybe other articles to see if you agree with their conclusions.

I know the news has had several reports considering gun control laws to reduce the chance of this happening again. Over the coming days/weeks we'll see what the investigation finds and hopefully our representatives will make well thought out steps rather than knee jerk reactions to this tragedy.

John

Quick Reply: Evil does exist.... school shooting