The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Gas gone wild

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Gas gone wild

How's this looking. Moreno Valley California today 2-25-12

Last edited by a64olz; February 25th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Hold on to your ….. wallet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gas_prices_large.jpg (28.5 KB, 22 views)
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM

I never knew the old saying "if you have to ask you cant afford it" was refering to filling up the gas tank.
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Hold on to your ….. wallet.
lol , what happens after WTF ? perhaps some pissed off looking dude with a rifle in his hand ?
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! we were paying that 2 years ago. After a while either you get used to it, or the gas supply and demand lowers the price at the pump. In the meantime you should look up the phrase: legal rape. It will have several of the big gas companies listed.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
lol , what happens after WTF ? perhaps some pissed off looking dude with a rifle in his hand ?

Body parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gas arm&leg.jpg (12.2 KB, 22 views)
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM

its 3.59 in central texas
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM

$3.02 at the Safeway where I buy it here in Colorado. And I've bought enough groceries to get 20 cents a gallon off my next fill up.

Here's a good site for checking prices.

http://gasbuddy.com/
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Oldsdruid

That's robbery, plain and simple.

It's all over the place here, ranging from $3.43 to $3.61 for 87. Some stations there's a 20 cent jump between 87 and 89, other the normal dime a grade difference. Cross the state line into NC and it jumps another 25 cents a gallon across the board due to NC's heinous gas taxes. There's a Valero station right at the state line on the Virginia side that has NC cars lined up every afternoon trying to beat NC's more expensive fuel. I'm told they are one of Valero's highest volume stations and they have only 6 pumps.

I'm beginning to believe more and more that revolution is unavoidable and it will start over the artificial manipulation of oil prices. Any hiccup anywhere in the world is "justification" for these people to manipulate oil prices for more profit.

Then figure in the stupid idling of refinery capacity which further drives up the price, and it's not hard to understand that we are being played for fools by these people.

It would not surprise me at any time to hear of someone going postal on the oil trading floor and taking out a bunch of speculators and futures traders. Whoever did it would be a hero in a lot of people's eyes, because I can garondamntee you the price would drop and quick. I personally would hold no remorse over it- "collateral damage" or "justifiable homicide" come to mind. My granddaddy often said there are people in the world who need killing.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The idea, whether real or imagined (and I have no personal opinion to contribute here ), that members of an elite are controlling vital resources, to the detriment of the masses (such as fuel, food, etc., depending on the era and the place) has been a significant contributor to revolutionary movements throughout history. The French Revolution and the revolution against the Weimar Republic (and it was a revolution) come immediately to mind. The ruling elites, in spite of clear warning signs, have had trouble seeing the threat to their system coming, have under-reacted, and have been shocked when they were thrown out of power (or guillotined, or put up against the wall and shot).

There is no reason to believe it will be any different the next time around.

Many agree with Thomas Jefferson that the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots (and tyrants) from time to time.

- Eric
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM

Especially with our gas guzzlers, i'm sure we all feel it...
Is it time to start siphoning gas yet?
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm beginning to believe more and more that revolution is unavoidable and it will start over the artificial manipulation of oil prices. Any hiccup anywhere in the world is "justification" for these people to manipulate oil prices for more profit.

Then figure in the stupid idling of refinery capacity which further drives up the price, and it's not hard to understand that we are being played for fools by these people.
x2

We are definitely just the puppets. I paid $95 to fill up my truck this afternoon.
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM

The price of gas has always bobbled up and down through the seasons. But I think it's been three years since we saw it under $2 and yesterdays news commented its never been this high at this time of the year. They went on to say just wait until summer, then we'll really see how high it can get.

Allan, I'm sorry that you've been paying this much for a while. We're not used to it and yes it is a shock. I struggle to contain a rant on what should be done. Short of the pissed off dude with a rifle in his hand, we should all do whatever we can to put pressure on the powers that be to rein it in.

Several years ago when a big oil company declined to drill on a lease they had, a Governer told them to drill or lose the lease. It went to court... the oil company lost and within a year they were drilling. Our representatives can do something about this, if they will. John
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rob delta
Especially with our gas guzzlers, i'm sure we all feel it...
Is it time to start siphoning gas yet?
It's already starting to happen, as just saw a video clip on Yahoo. Thieves are driving around in a van having holding tanks, with a hole cut in the floor. They park over a stations inground tanks, and pump it out. Also, stealing gas out of other cars, but lots of the newer ones have screens on the inlets, and remote door releases inside. They did mention, locking gas caps are making a come back.
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
It's already starting to happen... Thieves are driving around in a van having holding tanks, with a hole cut in the floor... locking gas caps are making a come back.
Well, I'm prepared, having come of age in NYC in the "lawless" '70s and early '80s.
Subsequent experiences have given me pointers on such things as passing through military and "militia" roadblocks.

Damn shame, though, the way it's lookin'... I'd hoped for better.

- Eric
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It's all over the place here, ranging from $3.43 to $3.61 for 87. Some stations there's a 20 cent jump between 87 and 89, other the normal dime a grade difference.
Ok, so I live in the Canadian Province of Alberta. Nothing special about that except it's one of the major oil producers up here. Whether its crude from below or (the so called dirty oil) from our oil sands - we produce a lot of it. So our reward for living here? Hmmmm, still waiting for a good answer on that. Could it be our 5% tax? I doubt it. And trust me, no one from the gov't is knocking door to door handing out gas royalties (like in Alaska) or finding ways to ease the pump pain. Ever wonder why there's more 60mpg cars on the road nowadays? Yeah, great gas mileage but you still have to fork out 30,000+ to get one. Where are you saving money? That's just robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO.

Since the topic was brought up about Gas Gone Wild, it boggles my mind that you are only be paying 3.00/gallon - even up to 4.50 a gallon and feeling you are getting ripped off (which you are, same as us. Only I think we get raped worse on average than you do). Owww, my butt still hurts from the last gas fillup.

The AVERAGE Canadian gas price for regular is 4.43 for REGULAR fuel. (that's after converting it to US gallons - 3.78 litres = 1 US gallon) Our $ is on par with yours so there's no difference there. And the average doesn't take into account that we'll have isolated high and low price pockets just like the one ah64olz started this thread with. Our high prices for regular are around the $5.60/US gallon mark. Mid and Prem push it over $6.00/US gallon.

Our MID GRADE averages 30 cents more/US gal than regular. PREMIUM averages 60 cents more/US gal than regular. When gas goes up here? It's not by nickels and dimes. We take a **** kicking overnight when the pump prices jump by close to 34 cents/US gallon. So when you're outraged to see gas go up by 5 or 10 cents a gallon? Count your blessings or take up your arms. We're not allowed to bear arms here in Canada and much like your gov't, ours doesn't give a crap about fixing this problem either.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm sorry that you've been paying this much for a while. We're not used to it and yes it is a shock. I struggle to contain a rant on what should be done. Short of the pissed off dude with a rifle in his hand, we should all do whatever we can to put pressure on the powers that be to rein it in.
Well John, I can sure understand your position. As you can see I just unloaded a bit of a rant. Not that it will do any good, but it might help folks know that the ungodly prices you're staring at are very likely the future realities of todays economics.
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:10 AM

Today I paid the local price (equivalent) of $4.15 a gallon.

imagesCAUSRVC1.jpg
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:39 AM
J/O

Location: near border town sarnia bluewater bridge to michigan
Ok well my two cents worth is how do they justify lowering the price a tenth of a cent at a time to only jump 20- 30 cents in an instant
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:59 AM
2 '66 98's

I agree with a number of the folks above - gas prices coupled with the rest of the crap taking place at this time means "revolution" is not too far in the future. The loss of a few top exects will be a real awakening to the rest if they are as smart as they are supposed to be.
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

It's $3.87 for 93 octane here in the Bury.

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

It jumped from $3.15 to $3.69 here last week for our regular gas. Other cities around us have different prices. I've had the gasbuddy.com app on my phone for a couple years now - it helps when you're out and about!!

I don't care what excuse they give for raising the price - in the blink of an eye - they do it cause they can. It's a shame too, because the economy has started picking up, and now people are not going to be spending again. Can't afford to eat AND buy gas. What a shame. This is going to hurt the economy again. The price of food that goes up every week is bad enough!!
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM

It's still reasonable compared to what they're paying in Europe. I spoke with relatives in Ireland last month and they are (have been) paying $10.00 a gallon for gasoline!!!
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM

We "only" pay $8.88 a gallon over here. The equivalent of 93 Octane.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM

The Europeans pay twice as much as us because they allow their governments to rip them off in taxes .They pay the same for crude as every one else.The more you give the more they want......Tedd
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Where were you in '72?

Well guys and gals, you may want to be rethinking your hobbie.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Europeans also don't have the same need for cars that we do - they can get to school, work, shopping, etc. by walking or by reasonably priced public transportation (they still have trains, while we have unused "recreational rail-trails"), while here in the US, most people have to get in a car and drive to go anywhere at all, and are thus held hostage by the gas companies.

We could debate whether the high taxes Europeans pay are worth it to them (which is a reasonable debate), but those taxes very definitely do pay for things that we don't have in the US (and this, I would point out, in spite of the fact that our taxes here in the US are not low!). Also, their taxes can go more toward public services than ours can because they have much lower defense expenditures, because our very large military has been protecting them from the Bear for the past 60 years, free of charge.

- Eric
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Call this what you will, but maybe these high prices will, encourage the growth of more LOCAL industry, stripping some power away from these huge companies-none of their employees will be able to DRIVE to work! Hook up the horse!
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Regardless of the price I am still going to drive all three of my V8 powered vehicles on earth day, it will be worth the few extra bucks for the satisfaction. Regarding gas taxes much of the revenue generated for building and maintaining infrastructure is robbed by soviet officials and wasted on things having nothing to do with transportation.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM

$4.00 a gallon of reg in Ct...
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM

I filled up yesterday at a Mobil, $3.69 for regular. The BP across the street was $3.82. About a mile south all the stations were $3.89. Only + $.30 in a week.... This was in Elmhurst Il, a suburb of Chicago.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Always room for one more

Had a guy at work, who is from some deep-internal African country(don't know which) tell us one night that Americans are stupid for being upset over the rising cost of gasoline. I can tell you that guy almost got the life beat out of him. He said gas in his country is so high people just can't buy it, it's a luxury, blah blah. He said things aren't as great as we think they are over here. So what was he doing working in the US? Better way of life for him so he can take all his money home and retire wealthy.

It was lost upon him that it didn't matter what we thought of the gas prices, that it was a big part of our economy and what we were used to, and by paying more at the pump we could spend less elsewhere.

Everyone avoids him now like the plague. He probably doesn't get that, either.

Mike
PS: 3.65 in Ellenwood, GA, this morning.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM

This really makes you think about the rationale behind conservation... despite cars using less oil... prices continue to climb. Sure were each using less, but demand overall is still up, and so are energy prices. So even if we shift to a world filled with electric cars, imagine the impact on the price of electricity. (and less competition on the supply end there as well)
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Today I paid the local price (equivalent) of $4.15 a gallon.
And it's going to get worse. AB has the lowest gas $ in all of Canada. Only Prince Edward Island's gov't stepped in and regulated gas because of soaring prices. No matter which station you go to there, the price is all the same. They pay 125.9/litre for reg (4.75/US gal) 128.6 for mid (4.86/US gallon) , and 132.2 (4.99/US gal) for premium. I can see this strategy becoming more global across Canada over the next couple of years.

I got a CIBC mastercard for petro pass and use it for all my credit purchases. It builds points really fast. With it, + buying a gas discount card with the dividends it saves me 7cents/lire at each fillup. (that's the equivalent of 26˘ / US gallon). So with my 'discount' my price at PC is 3.89 for regular.

My 72 Cutlass runs perfectly well with 87 octane so there's no way in hell I'm going to bump it to higher octane just to pay more at the pump. It will continue to be driven every year but as a vintage car it's not allowed more than 5000 km/year with classic insurance, which I don't max out on by a long shot. I will continue to drive it even when gas gets to 10.00 gallon or more. It's the same useless and ineffective argument smokers give. "I'll give up smokes when they get to $$$/pack" Yeah, right. I'll enjoy driving my car till I part this world. Maybe I'll arrange to be buried in it. I hate the gas companies and gov't for what they're doing to us, but I'm their bitch because I can't do anything reasonable to stop them.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
This really makes you think about the rationale behind conservation... despite cars using less oil... prices continue to climb. Sure were each using less, but demand overall is still up, and so are energy prices. So even if we shift to a world filled with electric cars, imagine the impact on the price of electricity. (and less competition on the supply end there as well)
According to news reports, you're gov't says the gas reserves in the US are up, and there's less demand for it because of decreased driving related to lower employment. It's a downward inward spiral that will eventually collapse on itself. So you really thing the economics of supply/demand is realistic? Of course not, they are politically manipulating everyone to suit their goals (whatever that is). Watch for a huge relief in gas prices across America just in time for the November election!
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM

I suppose that's what I was trying to say in a round about way. What's the point of requiring cars to get 50 mpg, when world demand is still increasing. The game is rigged by big oil and the politicians. People may feel good about themselves for purchasing an electric car, but think what happens to electricity prices if everyone does that. Then there's only one utility in town to buy your power from! For the sake of the economy, I hope we catch a (temporary) break by November. Then it's time for some house cleaning come election time.
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Electricity is just another 'tip of the iceberg' slope

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
..but think what happens to electricity prices if everyone does that. Then there's only one utility in town to buy your power from!
The AB gov't 'deregulated' electricity prices back in 1995. Since then the market economy has driven electricity prices to all time record highs. Just recently the AB govt admitted the strategy is not working and that electricity costs would be frozen until a solution to price competition returned the gouging to an acceptable level.

From a market report in 2000
Currently, the province sets wholesale electricity prices through an auction process, where supply offers and purchaser bids are made through the Power Pool of Alberta (PPoA). In unnerving similarity to California’s experience, this process has resulted in Alberta’s power prices increasing from amongst the lowest in the world to among the highest prices in North America
Until 1996, our electricity was affordable. Now it's ridiculous. My monthly bill is more than 240.00, and I have no choice but to pay it. (we also use natural gas for heating and it's not cheap either) Yes you can get in on contract rates for 2,3 or 5 years. But what they price you at is always in their favor. We now have another 'heartland power project' that has been approved against many objections to area stakeholders. The theme of the project is (are you ready for this?) to meet expanding energy needs of Albertans and the US. BTW, we also pay the cost of the utility construction here for power that's passed along to the US. The US consumer gets direct benefit without having to pay infrastructure costs to get it there. But that's obviously a pet peeve of mine to bear.
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM

In 1999 Alberta had 100+ years of Natural Gas left. When they'd dig for oil and found NG, they'd cap it for the future. However, in 2000 we built the Alliance pipe line. 36" high pressure gas line to take Alberta NG to IL and parts south. That's why NG price have gone up. The Americans have a great demand for Alberta NG. So demand sets prices. Before Alliance, demand was small, just Alberta and parts of BC and Saskachewan, so prices were cheap.

As for paying for infrastructure, that's been going on for a while now. The Canadian and US power grid is linked. When California was hit with an earthquake in 1994? I remember reading that the reason why we woke up to flashing VCR's and clocks was because California needed emergency power (constant, without any blackouts), and Alberta and BC cut power to make sure they got it. Alberta is linked to BC, WA OR and CA

The same thing happens in the east. Ontario and Quebec supplies hydro power to New York and the New England states, and in case of an emergency the others will divert power to the region needing it.

The difference between us and European countries; Canada is an oil exporting nation, most if not all European countries buy or use what they produce. Canada has more than we can use. Alberta has more oil than the Indian Ocean has water. Saskatchewan is on the verge of an oil boom and off-shore Newfoundland is always finding new deposits.

European countries do not have the wide open spaces that Canada and the US have. Canada has wide open spaces, is the size of Europe and has a population less than California. The 500 million Europeans have excellent public transportation and so the car culture did not develop like it did in North America.

Gas was always cheap and and is probably the same today as it was in the 60's and 70's relative to our wages. I remember when I was a kid we paid $0.65 for an imperial gallon (4.55 litres as compared to a US gallon 3.78 litres). I was in high school and worked at a grocery store bagging groceries for $2.35/hr. My wage would buy me 3 Imp. gallons after one hours work. My car had an 18 Imp.Gal capacity (21 gal US). It was a 1968 Pontiac Grande Parisienne or what the Americans called a Bonneville. It sucked on gas mileage compared to today's cars. Besides, Alberta (and Canada) are run by governments looking out for big business, so don't expect to much to change in the short term.

Last edited by 442much; February 26th, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Actually read some articles about what happened in Europe. After world war II, the governments put huge surcharges on gas, supposidly to help fund rebuilding the countries. They got so spoiled with the extra money, it never changed after 70 years. Imagine that.
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Where were you in '72?

That's how public taxes came about in Canada...temporary solution to support Canadian efforts in the first world war, "temporary solution" my ***. A good precentage of gas prices in Canada are taxation based. Geez the economists are now talking about taxing food and drugs...where will this all end...despair or revolution.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Article in yesterday's local paper quoted some oil analyst as saying a refinery fire in Washington state was what was driving the recent rapid gas price increases on the East Coast.

My question to that is: what in the hell does a West Coast refinery shutdown have to do with jacking up gasoline prices on the other side of the country, except that someone is using it to manipulate gas prices to make more money? Gasoline here rides a pipeline from Louisiana, not the Pacific Northwest.

Eric said the people riding this balloon are going to be shocked when they're finally dealt with. I'll take it one step further. They will have the nerve and unmitigated gall to be surprised when it happens.

F. Scott Fitzgerald said it plainly: "The rich are different from you and me".

And this one sums it up as succinctly as anyone ever described spoiled rich people:

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made . . . ."

Quick Reply: Gas gone wild