The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Guilty pleasure TV

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Oldsdruid

Guilty pleasure TV

Anybody else watch TV shows that you'd as soon nobody else knew you watched? Guilty pleasure TV as it were...

Jerry Springer. Yes I watch those trainwrecks and heehaw at them! Also TruTV Top Funniest and World's Dumbest.

Maybe they make me feel just a little superior to the people who populate these lowest common denominator shows...😃
Old March 5th, 2021, 12:27 PM

My wife said she wanted to be on the Jerry Springer show, so I knocked up her sister
Old March 5th, 2021, 01:17 PM

I'm sooo boring! Can't stand reality shows. Don't like anything with caned laughter, I bet I know when I want to laugh better than they do and I don't need their help. A good who done it mystery is good once in a while and I can get lost in You Tube for hours or a documentary on the History channel. Other than that not much main stream stuff on the tube I like. I think I'm becoming my Old man.... Tedd
Old March 5th, 2021, 01:34 PM

Tedd, I completely agree. NOTHING IS worse than canned laughter
Old March 5th, 2021, 02:03 PM

I checked into a hotel with my brother near Tucson airport, he wanted to rest up before his flight. Turn on the TV and there's our step niece telling Jerry, she don't know which of the 2 young men are the father of her baby then after all the drama she shows her **** for an extra $300. All I could say was WTF, my brother said geez what a ****.
Old March 5th, 2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm sooo boring! Can't stand reality shows. Don't like anything with caned laughter, I bet I know when I want to laugh better than they do and I don't need their help. A good who done it mystery is good once in a while and I can get lost in You Tube for hours or a documentary on the History channel. Other than that not much main stream stuff on the tube I like. I think I'm becoming my Old man.... Tedd
Same here. I have a hard time laughing at the pathetic, the phony acting, and thinly veiled leftism that passes for TV show content these days. If it weren't for my other half, I wouldn't even have a TV.
Old March 5th, 2021, 03:44 PM

Bought a 60" TV for Christmas 2014. Other than football games, it hasn't been on since 2017.
Barely watched any football last season. Nothing on it even interests me any more.
Old March 5th, 2021, 04:14 PM

I'm sooo boring! Can't stand reality shows. Don't like anything with caned laughter, I bet I know when I want to laugh better than they do and I don't need their help.
Ted...do you listen to podcasts?
There's this one call 99% Invisible. (or 99PI)...IT's all about the hidden design in the world that we all see or hear...but don't really take much notice of.
Like you, I hated canned laughter or "The laugh track"...until I listened to this. Kinda interesting...and I sort of appreciate it now...at least a little!

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-laff-box/

-peter
Old March 6th, 2021, 12:15 AM

I have to admit to having watched both Jerry springer and Maury Povich, one day my oldest daughter came home from school walked in and said OH MY God Dad you have reached a new all time low !! your fully reclined in your lazy boy with a plate of sliced cheese on your belly drinking a Mountain Dew and watching Jerry Springer !!! I told her I had a really bad, bad day and a quick and sure fire way to start to feel good about my self was to watch the low life's on Jerry Springer !! she sat down with me for the remainder of the show and said I see what you mean dad !! she gave me a hug and said don't worry dad your Ward Cleaver and Robert Young compared to those guys !! yes she knows who they are we used to watch Retro TV together, she's 41 now and we still laugh about the eating cheese off the belly and watching Jerry Springer !!
Old March 6th, 2021, 05:47 AM

Occasionally (and I emphasize OCCASIONALLY!) we will watch the Maury Show, but only for the comic content

Our favorite Maury show was the “lady” who was on her 17th appearance trying to figure out who the father is. Her latest suspect was a cab driver who took her home from a club (he wasn’t the father either).

Rumor is I have a very distant cousin who supposedly was a guest on the Maury show. The only time we would see her is at family reunions, or big weddings. My brother and I refer to her as “The Human Petri Dish. She is a nasty skank, looks and smells like she lives in a dumpster. Nobody in my immediate family knows which of her 8 kids has the questionable father. I’m quite sure she had no clue how degrading being a guest on that show truely is, and looked at it as a free vacation from the trailer park.

I remember when I was a kid, Bart Simpson and the Bob and Tom show were the ultimate evil of society. Then along comes Springer, Maury, etc to lower the standard.

On a related subject, why is it the biggest audience for show like the Bachelor are women, the same people who complain that all men are cheating scum?
Old March 6th, 2021, 07:37 AM

I watch old stuff. Hee Haw, Little House on the Prairie, Waltons, and shows like that. I don't watch much TV any more. I do like watching clips of Pawn Stars, Counts Customs, and American Pickers
Old March 6th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Occasionally (and I emphasize OCCASIONALLY!) we will watch the Maury Show, but only for the comic content

Our favorite Maury show was the “lady” who was on her 17th appearance trying to figure out who the father is. Her latest suspect was a cab driver who took her home from a club (he wasn’t the father either).

Rumor is I have a very distant cousin who supposedly was a guest on the Maury show. The only time we would see her is at family reunions, or big weddings. My brother and I refer to her as “The Human Petri Dish. She is a nasty skank, looks and smells like she lives in a dumpster. Nobody in my immediate family knows which of her 8 kids has the questionable father. I’m quite sure she had no clue how degrading being a guest on that show truely is, and looked at it as a free vacation from the trailer park.

I remember when I was a kid, Bart Simpson and the Bob and Tom show were the ultimate evil of society. Then along comes Springer, Maury, etc to lower the standard.

On a related subject, why is it the biggest audience for show like the Bachelor are women, the same people who complain that all men are cheating scum?
Because they're women. Women want men to cheat on other women to be with them, but they don't understand that means they're on the other side of the coin sometimes, too. Men run on brains, women run on heart.

Edit: I don't watch TV, I might download a movie, but I canned cable and just kept the internet when it got too expensive. I will watch on youtube some of the break dancing the hoods do on Maury when they're not the father.
Old March 6th, 2021, 10:54 AM

Hmm,
Another one, and trust me when I say I DO NOT TUNE IN TO THIS SHOW, some times when I wake up in the morning my wife will be watching "Say Yes To The Dress" on our bed room TV and on the days when I'm to lazy to get out of bed early I will lay silently and watch
but some times I have to comment to my wife "are you F###### kidding me !! she just spent how much on that dress ???
!!! I could by another Olds for that much !! but the real corker is in most the cases where they spend that much and it's the mom and dad buying the dress, and I think to myself spoiled little brats I have 3 daughters and have bought 2 wedding dresses with one more on the horizen my daughters would never be that impractical and expect or ask us to spend that much !! first of all it's a one time deal they are never going to wear it again, in some cases they ask mommy and daddy to buy two dresses one for the ceremony and one for the reception !! REALLY !!
The wedding dress industry has to be the biggest racket in the world !! and some of the peripheral business that feed off it are just as bad.
both of my married daughters had nice weddings that I contributed to including their dresses, but thank god I have grounded practical
daughters that understand real life. P/S there is one benefit to the show, sometimes the brides are drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited by solly; March 6th, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old March 6th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Oldsdruid

This could have probably qualified for Springer...

One of my cousins got married in mid 80s and her parents spent nearly 20 grand on it then.

The marriage lasted less than 2 years. My uncle made her repay everything that was spent on that wedding. Set her up on a payment plan and all, and told her he would not pay for another wedding. My Grandma said "Julian, that's cruel" until he showed her what the wedding cost. Then all she would say was "oh my!" Me Granny had a, shall we say, frugal streak and kept saying they didn't pay that much for their 150 acre farm in 1920.

Old March 6th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Kinda off the subject, but another TV craze if the “flip this house/fixer upper/chip and joan type “reality” tv crap. My wife and stepdaughters occasionally watch those shows, I just shake my head. It’s one thing to buy a crap shack and then gut it to remodel, it seems pretty stupid to buy a decent house, and then gut it to “update” it. I suppose it depends on the location and real estate pricing would determine if it’s profitable.

I know many people who have bought houses that were nice and entirely livable, then completely gut it to remodel. Moving sinks/laundry rooms/walls/ entire layouts, if you didn’t like the house, why buy it??? To me, it might make sense if you bought a house that already needed a ton of work, not a decent one.

Old March 6th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Banned

I too am not a big TV watcher. The one show that has won me over on re-runs lately is Two and a half Men. That show slays me.
Old March 6th, 2021, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Kinda off the subject, but another TV craze if the “flip this house/fixer upper/chip and joan type “reality” tv crap. My wife and stepdaughters occasionally watch those shows, I just shake my head. It’s one thing to buy a crap shack and then gut it to remodel, it seems pretty stupid to buy a decent house, and then gut it to “update” it. I suppose it depends on the location and real estate pricing would determine if it’s profitable.

I know many people who have bought houses that were nice and entirely livable, then completely gut it to remodel. Moving sinks/laundry rooms/walls/ entire layouts, if you didn’t like the house, why buy it??? To me, it might make sense if you bought a house that already needed a ton of work, not a decent one.
Quite true, and we're on a budget of 3.5 million! Sheeeyit, I'm on a 3.5 million budget too, but it's some new equipment at the plant.

I bought my 70s construction house unupdated and I updated it, but all the doors, windows, walls, sinks, johns, showers, and appliances are where they were. Only thing I changed was I have a "peninsula" dividing my kitchen and family room, and it had a soffet bulkhead and cabinets over it that really killed the view between the two rooms, so the new kitchen just has cabinets that stop at the base of the peninsula. Here's how the little old lady had it, then nearing the end of renovation.

Old March 6th, 2021, 09:03 PM

Weve got a 5 year old in the house, If I watch anything, its Sesame Street, Bingo and Rollie, Bluey