The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Registered Luser

We have officially lost power. Big oak took out the whole block. As we were out there, another oak came down on my neighbors house. Fence is falling down, the north side of my house is peeling away...feels like an earthquake as the house is shaking back and forth. 82 mph winds so far. I believe that my homeowners states that 90 mph is considered a hurricane. If so, forget about homeowners as my deductible is $12K. Hide tide is an hour away. We live 3/10 of a mile north of the South Bay...tent still standing....
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM

Eric- hang in there. Sorry about the trees and the power. Do you have a gas stove and a fireplace? Hope so. High tide here already-Montauk Hwy is now Montauk River. Firehouse siren going off constantly.
Be safe and good luck!
Frank
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Good luck to all you folks out east, in the US & Canada. Hope you all come through safe & sound.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Frank and Erik hang in there fellas I grew up out on the island and I feel for what you guys r going through man oh man we are without power now for an hour or so wind is pretty fierce but I have seen worse last time , mind ur candles and such if your not using lanterns, lot of fires get started with parafin etc.

I hope nothing happens to anyone's vehicles but at the end of the day your lives are more important be safe,

Erik are you saying your not covered for house damage in a hurricane? Or that you have a 12k deduct able on the house? Insurance companies will certainly be looking to wiggle out of all they can with these amount of claims
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks Eddie...I have hurricane coverage with a $12K deduct able. So, hopefully, the winds here don't reach 90 mph, as that's when that coverage kicks in. I don't have 12K right now.....or ever for that matter! Frank, my wife as I told you, is from Lindenhust. Her family is still there. Bad house fire on one of those low # streets....the house was lost as the fire department couldn't get there with the flooding. Be safe!
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Im in Brooklyn just a few minutes away from the Verranzano Bridge and its been blowing very hard here. There's a lot of small broken branches, twigs, broken umbrellas and flying garbage cans. From time to time, my house lights flicker but I do have my generator ready just in case. Hang in there guys. The hurricane will be gone and there's a lot of cleaning up to do.
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Erik-yes, it was on S.6th Street in Lindy. Earlier this afternoon. Copiague was called in to assist, my son-in-law is one of the chiefs in Copiague. I have pics on my phone that he text me. Very sad. I live on Walnut St. Right off W.Gates., 3 blocks from Wellwood and the village. The firehouse in town has been going all day and night. They just went screaming by again as I'm typing. I just went outside and found roof shingles all over my lawn but I can't tell who's house they're from-its too damn windy. Good luck with the tides-it's a full moon too and that makes it worse.
If ya gotta leave you're welcome to bring your family here! I've got plenty of room as its just me and the 3 Labs. My wife is staying with my daughter. She lives on 14th Street and just had a baby Oct. 19th, my 2nd grandson. So you're welcome here. In any case, good luck and stay safe.
Frank
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Whoops, i just heard a loud boom outside and when i look out the window, 2 doors down, there's a tree in the middle of the street. Its a good thing nobody parked their cars on that spot.
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks Frank for the offer! Congrats on becoming a grandpa again! We would have to bring our lab also...my daughters would never leave him, LOL! Stay safe and I will keep everyone posted!
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Gotcha Erik well before we lost all power it seems it was not going to give those high MPH figures turning into a northeaster, bad part is it might be sustained 50 MPH winds for a longer time still without power here but it is kind of nice , and peaceful without all the electronic jabbering
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Registered Luser

It is very peaceful just listening to the wind here with the window open. Luckily, I have this I pad. Yay for 4G LTE. As an update, the car tent is still standing....but if I kept the Vista in it, you know it would have come down........it's all good as long as it isn't raining, and that stopped 4 hrs ago. Wind helps dry her up!
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator

I hope all involved weathered the storm without incident or injury.
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Registered Luser

We made it through with minimal property damage. Tent survived unbelievably. Hi tide got us. Oil burner gone, will be days we are being told before we get electric. Can't use the pumps without the electric. Guess the next investment will be a generator.
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Erik: Glad you, your beautiful wife and daughters made it through OK, along with everyone else "up there". Remember the three of you at the OCA Nationals in Massachusetts, and the pictures by the little lake out back. Take care. "Things" are replacable..............the main things survived.
Aron
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

Lost power for about 9 hours, have generator which helps tremendously because basement would flood most likely and most of my blue car is down there along with other things not to mention half of the basement is finished. Lost no trees and cover stayed on car.
Hope everyone else came out okay.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:09 AM

For me a few trees down on block, none on my property and did not loose power. My 442 is at my brothers about 10 miles from me. A few feet of roll roofing blown off the shed but no real damage. Am thankful.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Guess the next investment will be a generator.
You and ten million others!

Good luck (to you and everyone). Glad to hear that the cars and the people survived intact and that you didn't have to test that insurance policy.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Been watching the news and things are horrific in several areas. 50 housed burned to the ground high water hampered the fire fighters. glad to here that the people we know here on the site are safe. Hope all of you get your power back soon and no further damage to property occurs. Be safe
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

All sound here in Providence area - south RI coast got hammered but not like NY, NJ, & CT - best wishes to all impacted by this.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cutlass Lover

Wonder how Darryl made out?? Hope all is ok. Glad to hear you all made it through unscathed! We are still having rain here in Ohio but the winds have died down some, thank God! They were scary fierce last night. I'm surprised we didn't lose power.
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:36 AM

well finally got power back last night, no home internet or phone, but finally got power, town lost a lot of poles and trees, but seems to be returning to normal thanks for all the well wishes and I hopw all those still effected have their issues resolved soon too.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
All sound here in Providence area - south RI coast got hammered but not like NY, NJ, & CT - best wishes to all impacted by this.
From a video I saw yesterday the waterfront houses in the dunes and the bars along the water in Misquamicut Beach look to be all pretty much gone. What's standing is ruined. The Andrea is the only building left standing on the ocean side in that area and it's heavily damaged. It amazing that most of the damage was from the tide surge and wave action. The wind wasn't bad. My parents live 15 miles away didn't even lose power.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM

Just got my power back..

my parents and sisters family is in Long Beach, their houses are flooded with at least 5ft of water 6 houses burnt down on their block.. all their cars are flooded out.. LB is a disaster area.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Registered Luser

Still no power here....borrowed a generator to pump basement. It's been pumping continuous since Wed morning. Water table is still very high here. Been fixing the north side of the house, and repairing downed fencing. Cut up trees. The South Bay is one block south of me. They got hammered there. Lindenhurst, Babylon Village, Freeport, Oceanside and Long Beach suffered most. Breezy Point is very sad!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM

Prayers are with you Erik, I used to love going to the OBI south, babylon had many neat bars, as well as some good street racing way back when, lindenhurst used to have more bars per capita than any other town in the country LOL.... the devastation we (now) see on TV is heartbreaking, jersey took it on the chin on the coast, we are off a tributary to the raritan, and yes houses were lost but nothing compared to what we have seen on the outer islands etc.... Be safe and be well....
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Registered Luser

Thanks Eddie. You know the Island well. My wife is from Lindenhurst, and a lot of friends lost everything, including their houses....she is working a food and clothing drive right now for those in her hometown in need! Fire Island is very bad. The landscape here, as well as the Jersey Shore has been permanently changed....we are thankful we still have our home. Many others not so lucky!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hey all, got power back late last night. We are one of the lucky few. We lost it around 10:30am on the day of the storm. Did not even start blowing that hard yet and it was already gone??? Cell phones and internet was down too, nothing like going back to the 19th century. My property and house survived fine, including the Cutlass. Was not sure how high the garage was over sea level but it was enough.

But most people around here are not so lucky. Many people on the shore lines have water damage in their homes. My wife's co-worker has a 2 story home near the water and during the height of the storm, the water was 4 feet deep on the 1st floor. Neighbor's house burned to the ground. The neigborhood is ruined. Over 70% of homeowners on Long Island still do not have power and it is getting real cold outside. Power lines down everywhere and the electical crews cannot get the power on until all the damaged trees are cleared. 110 out of 124 school districts on Long Island are still closed and the earliest we are hearing that some start to open is next Wednesday. (I think that is very optimistic since our high school is a shelter and is still full)

To make matters worse, grocery stores are depleted of food and it is almost impossible to find gas anywhere. I went out earlier and better than 95% of gas stations have signs out saying "no gas". I saw one that did have gas and the line was about a 1/2 mile long, no exaggeration. Police officers were there to keep everyone in order. Can't understand why the situation is getting worse and we are not getting help???
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM

I went out earlier and better than 95% of gas stations have signs out saying "no gas". I saw one that did have gas and the line was about a 1/2 mile long, no exaggeration

Wednesday, i waitied 4 hrs on line for gas. They only limited me up to $50. There were police officers there because a lot of drivers was calling about other drivers were cutting in line. Yesterday, a guy cut in front of another guy and when he got out and complain to him, he pulled out a gun. Eventually, the guy with the gun got arrested on the spot.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:03 AM
GM Enthusiast

Yesterday, a guy cut in front of another guy and when he got out and complain to him, he pulled out a gun. Eventually, the guy with the gun got arrested on the spot
Geez. Times like this bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. I was reading this morning that gas supplies should get better over the weekend. Our local paper, Newsday, was also stating that many more people should get power too over the next few days.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
I was reading this morning that gas supplies should get better over the weekend.
Yeah, with the port and pipelines back open, and Federal reserves from Military stockpiles arriving, the only barrier will be which gas stations have the electric power to run their pumps, so things should be improving.

I would imagine that in areas where there is still little power, some gas station owners will be investing in generators and making a (well-deserved) killing.

- Eric
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDchanic

I would imagine that in areas where there is still little power, some gas station owners will be investing in generators and making a (well-deserved) killing.

- Eric
We do have quite a few gas stations around me that have power but no gas. I passed by 3 stations last night with no lights on and the pumps blocked off with cones and yellow tape, but there were still lines of cars parked there. They were hoping the power would come back on so they could fill up. Crazy right?

One of our friends owns a small grocery store and they bought a generator after tropical storm Irene last year. They are making a killing right now and their business has tripled. The Boars Head truck is there every other day filling them back up.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:02 AM

Has anyone heard from Stan Kryla (skryla) or Tony Bonafide (WTony)?

Both are on the Jersey Shore and Stan was opening that Classic Car Storage facility that was only a few blocks from the water
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allyolds68

Both are on the Jersey Shore and Stan was opening that Classic Car Storage facility that was only a few blocks from the water
Have not heard from either of them. They probably do not have any way of communicating with us right now. I think their power situation is even worse than ours. Hope they are ok
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!! Did you hear that a Nor'easter is coming next week?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ELY442
THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!! Did you hear that a Nor'easter is coming next week?
I wish it wasn't true. It is supposed to be here on Wednesday, let's hope it stays away.
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Registered Luser

Still no power....waiting in a mile long line now....
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68

Hey thanks for thinking of us! Day 7 running on the generator here! The shore is devastated as most of you have seen on the tv by now. Cell service is slowly coming back but it may take another 3-4 days before we get power. Im "borrowing" wifi from my neighbor in exchange for power to his fridge and router!

We had 80-90mph wind gusts during the storm that lasted for almost a day. Here in Beachwood there's at least one tree down on every block of the town. A friend who lives a few miles away text me during the storm and asked what all the flashes were in the sky over our town. They were all the lines going down and the transformers blowing up.

Gas is a BIG problem down here! Very few stations that have fuel, the lines are very long at the few that have gas or others with gas have no power yet. Food stores are crazy as well.

I had my wagon in a garage at my daughters boyfriend's house 4 blocks from the ocean in Seaside. Originally I was going to put it on jack stands but then decided to get it out of there Saturday before the storm hit. Had to tow it out since I took the top half of the motor off it. I was going to leave my other motor over there on top of 4 wheels and tires but went and got it out Sunday about an hour before they closed off the bridge to get there. So the only things I left there were a jack, jack stands and my hoist. We saw a photo of the street where his house is and there was 4-5 feet of water. Had I left the car and motor they would have been under water and a total loss.

There are many people down here that lost everything! I feel VERY fortunate to have come through this unscathed.

It seems that even in this time of disaster, there's some that are trying low enough to break into homes and business' and loot from them. We saw a photo of a liquor store in Seaside that had the plywood unscrewed from the front door and the glass smashed out. I think thats what my daughters BF is worried most about, is someone kicking the door in and taking everything! He put all his stuff up so it would take at least 6-7' of water outside to get to his stuff, but if someone's going around taking everyone's belongings then there was no point in putting it to higher ground! And there's no word when residents will be aloud to return.

Also my wife and both daughter work at the A&P in Ortley Beach on the barrier island. They were given the opportunity to work in other stores further away till their store is rebuilt. But, the entire island's natural gas infrastructure is destroyed and will be a minimum of 6-8 months before its rebuilt. That leaves the store inoperable for at least that long.

As said before, even though the area is devastated, we are very fortunate!
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by WTony
Hey thanks for thinking of us! Day 7 running on the generator here! The shore is devastated as most of you have seen on the tv by now. Cell service is slowly coming back but it may take another 3-4 days before we get power. Im "borrowing" wifi from my neighbor in exchange for power to his fridge and router!

We had 80-90mph wind gusts during the storm that lasted for almost a day. Here in Beachwood there's at least one tree down on every block of the town. A friend who lives a few miles away text me during the storm and asked what all the flashes were in the sky over our town. They were all the lines going down and the transformers blowing up.

Gas is a BIG problem down here! Very few stations that have fuel, the lines are very long at the few that have gas or others with gas have no power yet. Food stores are crazy as well.

I had my wagon in a garage at my daughters boyfriend's house 4 blocks from the ocean in Seaside. Originally I was going to put it on jack stands but then decided to get it out of there Saturday before the storm hit. Had to tow it out since I took the top half of the motor off it. I was going to leave my other motor over there on top of 4 wheels and tires but went and got it out Sunday about an hour before they closed off the bridge to get there. So the only things I left there were a jack, jack stands and my hoist. We saw a photo of the street where his house is and there was 4-5 feet of water. Had I left the car and motor they would have been under water and a total loss.

There are many people down here that lost everything! I feel VERY fortunate to have come through this unscathed.

It seems that even in this time of disaster, there's some that are trying low enough to break into homes and business' and loot from them. We saw a photo of a liquor store in Seaside that had the plywood unscrewed from the front door and the glass smashed out. I think thats what my daughters BF is worried most about, is someone kicking the door in and taking everything! He put all his stuff up so it would take at least 6-7' of water outside to get to his stuff, but if someone's going around taking everyone's belongings then there was no point in putting it to higher ground! And there's no word when residents will be aloud to return.

Also my wife and both daughter work at the A&P in Ortley Beach on the barrier island. They were given the opportunity to work in other stores further away till their store is rebuilt. But, the entire island's natural gas infrastructure is destroyed and will be a minimum of 6-8 months before its rebuilt. That leaves the store inoperable for at least that long.

As said before, even though the area is devastated, we are very fortunate!
Wow, glad to hear many of you are OK. WTony, you were lucky to get your stuff out in time. Many folks on the Jersey Shore, Staten Island and Long Island will have a tough go with the temps dropping and the threat of another storm on the way.
Keep us posted regarding things on the ground there. Might be a good time for those of us who have, to think about donating to Red Cross etc. if you can. Be safe everyone.

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; November 4th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM
GM Enthusiast

No updates to report here on Long Island. Still over 500k residents without power and now no gas anywhere. My neighbor drove to Connecticut to get gas yesterday and one of my friends drove to PA to get 3 generators and gas because none of stores have them in stock. The promises of help from the government still are not happening.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

Some updates. Slowly starting to improve around here. Down to about 300,000 without electricity on Long Island and they say most of them will have it back by Wednesday. (Just in time for the next storm on that same day.)

My kids are still home as school is still out for most districts around here.

The gas situation still has not really improved. Very few stations have it and those that do have raised their prices by as much as 50 cents/gallon. One station around here that had gas had their pricing structure as 4.59/4.69/4.79 for regular/ + / premium. Nothing like kicking people when there down.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Sandy