The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Matt’s Junkyard crawl!!

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2022, 08:14 AM

Matt’s Junkyard crawl!!

Yesterday I visited a salvage yard I had never been to before. Castle Auto in Frankfort Indiana. Supposedly this yard has been in operation since the late 1940s, and I believe it. I was only there about an hour, I saw no less than 20 first gen Mustangs (when was the las time you saw a convertible 65 mustang in a junkyard?) dozens of first gen F body’s, lots of Chevelles, lemans, Buick skylarks, Impala, and enough Mopars to make the Barrett Jackson guys drool.

Unfortunately, the weeds and bugs made it impossible to get to much. Even more unfortunately, what I saw had been well picked over, what was left will soon be a greasy rust colored stain in the dirt. I bet this place would have been something to see in the mid 80s!!

The worker there said there were several 70-72 olds A body cars, a few 64-67 Olds A body’s, and lots of the olds B bodies. Unfortunately I did t have time to really look around.

68 (?) Toronado buried under other cars.

Looks like someone’s old race car

This car appeared surprisingly complete

I want a challenger, while this one is probably in my price range, it’s clearly a parts car now!!! Having said that, as price-inflated as Mopar stuff now, maybe it is well out of my price range!!!i

Last edited by matt69olds; June 21st, 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old June 21st, 2022, 08:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. Definitely bring a machete and weed eater when you visit that place.
Old June 21st, 2022, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Thanks for sharing. Definitely bring a machete and weed eater when you visit that place.

Im thinking a 55 gallon drum of OFF! would be far more useful. The mosquitoes were horrible!!!
Old June 21st, 2022, 10:44 AM

That's a visit in the winter yard for sure.
Old June 21st, 2022, 03:44 PM
Banned

It's a shame to see cars just rot away. Total waste.

When was the last time I saw a 65 putzstang ragtop in a junkyard? Not often enough 🤣😂
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:34 PM

My coworker has one in his back yard, along with a couple of Datsun 2000s, some Subarus, and maybe a Volvo wagon.. His own personal junk yard.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Yesterday I visited a salvage yard I had never been to before. Castle Auto in Frankfort Indiana. Supposedly this yard has been in operation since the late 1940s, and I believe it. I was only there about an hour, I saw no less than 20 first gen Mustangs (when was the las time you saw a convertible 65 mustang in a junkyard?) dozens of first gen F body’s, lots of Chevelles, lemans, Buick skylarks, Impala, and enough Mopars to make the Barrett Jackson guys drool.

Unfortunately, the weeds and bugs made it impossible to get to much. Even more unfortunately, what I saw had been well picked over, what was left will soon be a greasy rust colored stain in the dirt. I bet this place would have been something to see in the mid 80s!!

The worker there said there were several 70-72 olds A body cars, a few 64-67 Olds A body’s, and lots of the olds B bodies. Unfortunately I did t have time to really look around. I want a challenger, while this one is probably in my price range, it’s clearly a parts car now!!! Having said that, as price-inflated as Mopar stuff now, maybe it is well out of my price range!!!i
Very cool, thanks for the post & pics.

I've seen a few overgrown yards like this. One was in PA; it was so overgrown you had to wade through the weeds on every row just to see what was there.

Salvage yards are always a cool adventure because you never know what your going to find.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Salvage yards are always a cool adventure because you never know what your going to find.
The bad thing is that you might not only find a cool Oldsmobile, but a venomous snake as well!

I think it's worth searching those yards for parts though.
Old June 22nd, 2022, 12:54 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I see some viable sheetmetal and a few decent trim bits in amongst the kudzu. Thanks for posting!
Old June 22nd, 2022, 06:52 PM

Some of my fondest childhood memories are picking parts from salvage yard cars with my Dad. Freshly crashed Detroit muscle on most every row. I loved to jump behind the steering wheel of those cars and zoom off in my imagination.

Thanks for posting the pics,
tc