The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Music with some meaning for you.

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Old School Olds

Remember this guy? RIP Jim.

Old June 27th, 2020, 04:32 PM

One of my most memorable concerts, which I've heard the local rock historian/DJ Doc West on WXKE Ft. Wayne reminisce about multiple times over the years, was the Scorpions, warming up for AC/DC, warming up for Ted Nugent at the Memorial Coliseum in the late '70s (~'76 I want to say). I came of age on the Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Emerson Lake and Palmer, RUSH (my favorite), Van Halen, Doobie Brothers, Bob Segar, ELO, Styx, April Wine, Foghat, REO Speedwagon, Blackfoot, Bad Company, Foreigner, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, ZZ Top, Kansas, AC/DC, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, The Cars, Heart, Jefferson Starship, Grateful Dead, Montrose, Judas Priest, Nazareth, Sammy Hagar, Black Sabbath, The Who, Guess Who, Ronnie James Deo, Aerosmith, The Joe Perry Project, Supertramp, The Police, Triumph, Joan Jett..............I've lost track of them all.

And in my adult years, I've grown to appreciate a wide variety of music, from Kenny G (wicked smooth jazz), Steve Winwood, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, to even Whitney Huston and Jenifer Hudson (the two most angelic voices of our time IMO).

But to the question of what song makes my right foot grow heavy: Golden Earring's Radar Love ranks right the heck up there. Sammy Hagar's Bad Motor Scooter (Montrose), Trans Am and I Can't Drive 55 are close 2nds in my ranking.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 27th, 2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
That's the way, good job. I think I was 12 when I saw Black Oak Arkansas open for Deep Purple at the Mariad in OKC. Good times.

https://youtu.be/UAKCR7kQMTQ
Oh man, Deep Purple, that and Space Truckin'. IMO they implemented keyboards into hard rock like nobody else. I wore out my sisters' Made in Japan album when I was in HS. That CD holds a reverent spot in my library.

I'll never forget one time when my older sister had me over to stay at her apartment when I was like 10-12 yrs old, she let me stay up way late and watch the Midnight Special on TV. That night I watched Deep Purple blow up a bunch of amps after playing Space Truckin' (I belive it was), followed by Keith Emerson of ELP playing a concert-grand piano as it was elevated into the air and did end-over-end summersaults.....while he continued playing the piano! Crazy, epic stuff. I have no idea how they did it and have not seen that performance since.

Edit: This is it (I knew I wasn't hallucinating):

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 27th, 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Oh man, Deep Purple, that and Space Truckin'. IMO they implemented keyboards into hard rock like nobody else. I wore out my sisters' Made in Japan album when I was in HS. That CD holds a reverent spot in my library.
I'll agree Deep Purple integrated keyboard with great success. However, The Doors captured my attention best with keyboard integration into rock. But then again, I'm not certain I'd enthusiastically consider The Doors a hard rock band.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:32 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Don’t forget about Argent, Hold your head up - the Hammond B3 solo on the track was cited by Rick Wakeman as the greatest organ solo ever. I’ll put it in my top five.

Old June 28th, 2020, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
...I'm not certain I'd enthusiastically consider The Doors a hard rock band.
The keyboardist studied classic piano, Jim Morrison studied poetry and I'm almost sure that the drummer played jazz. They were one of those bands of which couldn't get categorized. Nevertheless, that didn't stop such bands from receiving Rock Hall of Fame awards, despite
Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
...I never heard of the Cramps...
They were probably better known outside of the U.S. than within.
Before there was an MTV for doing videos, there was this one filming visitting bands. They used to broadcast weekly re-runs twenty years ago. Simply either look up Beat Club or sign up to this tuber, in order to see your favorites:

Beat Club was later followed by Rock Palast (Rock Palace):

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 28th, 2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:19 AM
Running On Empty

Remember this guy? RIP Jim.
He played some funny character roles. "KnoWhutImean, Vern?" I love listening to Hot Rod Lincoln (Charley Ryan) - best covered by Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen. Great tune!
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:37 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

The timeless music of Ennio Morricone who was scheduled to conduct his last concert this summer.
He began his career in the 1940s. The conductor shown is a visiting American.

[img]blob:https://classicoldsmobile.com/e24dd0f8-813f-4c69-b1da-6fefefc0093e[/img]

Last edited by Tri-Carb; June 28th, 2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Old School Olds

Very cool Tri-Carb. Thanks for posting.
Old June 28th, 2020, 07:30 AM

Jimmy Thackery

So many great memories when I hear these songs !!! I was fortunate enough to see in concert , Led Zeplin, The Eagles, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple,Marshal Tucker, Reo speed Wagon,Buddy Guy, BB King Savoy Brown, as my musical interest grew to include jazz and blues I also saw Maynard Ferguson, Al DiMeola and to keep my then fiance now wife happy Seals and Crofts and Janis Ian (yuk) I love Blues and one of the more contemporary blues artist is Jimmy Thackery, the band is Jimmy Thackery and the drivers , how can ya not like a band with that name , lots of driving tunes , pure blues, rock-a-billy , 50 throwbacks he covers it all give him a listen there's plenty of his stuff
on YOU TUBE here's one of my favorites , but all of his stuff is good !!
, I'm going to sell the bitches car

Last edited by solly; June 28th, 2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Old School Olds

Always wanted to see Thin Lizzy.

Old June 28th, 2020, 08:22 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Always wanted to see Thin Lizzy.

https://youtu.be/iC6Cgb8nHwk

Tru check these out from a December 1980 show in south jersey. I was just as close and could’ve taken these photos, but barely got into the place - I was underage and it’s basically a nightclub/bar - not sure how I made it in. Emerald City Cherry Hill New Jersey

www.thinlizzyguide.com/tours/dates/1980/801206.htm

Last edited by vCode442; June 28th, 2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Old School Olds

Sweet, thanks V.

Old June 28th, 2020, 08:50 AM

Argent !!!! blast from the past

Originally Posted by vCode442
Don’t forget about Argent, Hold your head up - the Hammond B3 solo on the track was cited by Rick Wakeman as the greatest organ solo ever. I’ll put it in my top five.

https://youtu.be/FBnSWJHawQQ
as I remember 3 Dog Night did a version of Liar that was a big hit but to be honest I liked Argents version better !!!
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Old School Olds

Three Dog Night, yes! I forget the album, but I one for years.

Old June 28th, 2020, 09:13 AM
Old School Olds

For the rhythm blues in you. It is long watch, but well worth it.

Old June 28th, 2020, 09:18 AM

Ted Nugent, 1982, Lansing Civic Center.
They did a rendition of Stranglehold that was unbelievable, never forgot it.
Been to a lot of concerts but that one tops them all.

I know he is a bit of a nut, but that dude could Rock.
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:47 AM

Tru check these out from a December 1980 show in south jersey...
Always wanted to see Thin Lizzy. ...
Have you two ever fantasized as to what Molly looked like as she was bringing whiskey in a jarro?

A mean Mick interpretation:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 28th, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Rod Argent formed the zombies in 1962, before his eponymous band Argent, and penned many of their classics, also songs like Liar that became hits for other bands. It’s pretty cold when you need three dogs to keep you warm at night!

Keyboarders get no respect - Rod wrote “She’s not there” and even during the keyboard solo at the end they show the drummer 🤔

Last edited by vCode442; June 28th, 2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

And Killian, your eclectic musical tastes are very appreciated. Pretty sure I saw the plasmatics open up for the tubes in the early 80s in Philly, and still have a headache. We saw wendy o in the parking lot with fee waybill before the show doing some crazy stuff.

The tubes always put on a bizarre show - women in cages, etc, but certainly the plasmatics upstaged them that night. Was going to post white punks on dope, but as you can see they’ve mellowed out since then, haven’t we all...

Last edited by vCode442; June 28th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Running On Empty

My first concert was Three Dog Night, Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI (1969) - outdoor venue. Great time. I've always enjoyed Thin Lizzy. I think my second concert was Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention, Ravinia Park, Highland Park, IL (1969). After that it's all a blur - it became one or two concerts/month for the next several years...Mountain, Donovan, John Prine, Steve Goodman, on & on & on. I used to frequent Second City (Chicago, IL), and caught many eclectic musicians @ Hyde Park (Chicago, IL). I have several hundred concert tickets in a box - it likely represents 1/3 of the shows I've seen in my lifetime. I was an exchange student in Europe and caught the original cast and production of Hair @ the Shaftesbury Theater in London (1969). That summer we caught a guy (Oxford Square, London, England) we never heard of (Ian Anderson) playing at some local discotheque below street level - that same year we attended the original Thomas Crown Affair (movie). Not a bad stay in London. As I aged, I lost much interest in attending large concerts and spent my time traveling to one-off shows of many musicians as they played smaller house shows. Muddy Waters was a monthly regular @ the University of Illinois bars (early '70s) so he was a given each month - I think way back then I first appreciated what smaller house shows really have to offer. Since then it's been a cornucopia of one-offs (mostly) - Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Dave Alvin, Arlo Guthrie, Adrian Belew, far too many to list. This is a great thread.
Old June 28th, 2020, 02:50 PM

interesting Norm, I am familiar with Ravinia and Alpine valley , ,Alpine Valley is where I saw the Eagles compliments of a local radio station call in contest (took a party bus up there) , I saw Cheap Trick at a very small venue called Cicero's in OakLawn IL. and I saw REO at a field house at Homewood/Flossmoor high school, If memorie serves me well and its slipping a little , most the other concerts were at Arie Crown Theater/ McCormick place and a few at the Rosemont Horizon, Seals and Crofts was a outdoor venue,at a horse racing track near Glenwood Il. I still listen to all these great tunes !! the difference is now I'm sitting in my recliner chair instead of standing and the drugs are prescription.
Old June 28th, 2020, 02:53 PM

Like the auto executives of the 20's and 30's band members migrated a lot Zombies, Yardbirds, etc...
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Good stories solly...
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

Rapid fire.....

Old June 28th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Running On Empty

Old June 28th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

A little Nuno Bettencourt....

Old June 28th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

How about a little Tina S....I dig the classics....

Old June 28th, 2020, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

I loved CTA (Chicago) growing up. I saw them a couple times. Honestly, I believe these guys from Russia (Leonid and Friends) are better than CTA themselves. Certainly in live performance anyway. The lead guitar player Sergey Kashirin can lay down some seriously tasty chops.

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Have you two ever fantasized as to what Molly looked like as she was bringing whiskey in a jarro?
This is the first time I've ever heard of The Killdares....kind of cool. Interesting Celtic music.
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:12 PM
Running On Empty

A veritable classic for this old geezer, eh....

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

I enjoy a great deal of country music. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but this has been one of my favorite country music songs. Written by a virtual no-name individual (erry Stafford) whose songs were covered by many other artists.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 28th, 2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

One of the songs Stafford wrote which helped to shoot Elvis into the Ionosphere....

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I loved CTA (Chicago) growing up. I saw them a couple times. Honestly, I believe these guys from Russia (Leonid and Friends) are better than CTA themselves. Certainly in live performance anyway. The lead guitar player Sergey Kashirin can lay down some seriously tasty chops.

https://youtu.be/9_torOTK5qc

Norm these guys rocked it, Terry Kath would be proud. Check out Chicago/ Terry Kath documentary if you haven’t seen it - a worthy watch. RIP TK.
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Running On Empty

There is only one song I listened to more than any other song while I was driving. I gained my driver license in 1968. This is probably the single most song I finally got tired of listening to, as well. Still, it is the song which did it the most for me while driving.

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Classic EC ballad, but watch him and the Attractions rock out. Thanks to the Germans again and Rockpalast.

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

Check out Chicago/ Terry Kath documentary if you haven’t seen it - a worthy watch. RIP TK.
Nope, I've never seen it or heard of it. Sweet, it's on Amazon & I'm Amazon Prime - so, a freebie. Thanks!
Old June 28th, 2020, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Classic EC ballad, but watch him and the Attractions rock out. Thanks to the Germans again and Rockpalast.

https://youtu.be/K--POHTLGY0
Oh, I've watched this a bunch of times. Good stuff, man.
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:19 PM

Dr. Demento

Does anyone remember or listened to Dr. Demonto ? It was a syndicated show picked up by stations across the US, usually aired late in the evening, it was quite eclectic and featured the likes of Spike Jones and Devo (Whip it !!) also underground stuff, he was quite the character .
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Old School Olds

I DO remember Dr. Demento.

Quick Reply: Music with some meaning for you.