The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Running On Empty

I know others who've used fresh lemon juice mixed w/ baking soda.
Old May 12th, 2024, 06:56 PM

I just took silver polish to the bottom of a pressure cooker. 80% improvement of looks.
Old May 13th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Spent the weakened at Pickett SP in northern Tennessee. It is a dark sky park, but we did not know about the solar storm until right before we left. I don't know if pictures can do it justice.
The first night there was no aura but the tail end of a meteor shower. We had a phone app that would tell you what different objects were. Here in Memphis, you will see the ISS and other satellites, but up there we saw things labeled as space junk, rocket boosters and a variety of satellites.

Friday night we saw the aura, it would come and go very quickly:

Old May 13th, 2024, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
Friday night we saw the aura, it would come and go very quickly:
Great pictures Matt, thanks for posting. It was spectacular!
Old May 13th, 2024, 01:16 PM

We had a phone app that would tell you what different objects were. Here in Memphis, you will see the ISS and other satellites, but up there we saw things labeled as space junk, rocket boosters and a variety of satellites.
Space junk and rocket boosters identified? Mine doesn't do that. Which app are you using?
Old May 14th, 2024, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Space junk and rocket boosters identified? Mine doesn't do that. Which app are you using?
She said its called SkyView. I think I am going to get it. Its 2.99 or 5.99 bundled with another app called skyview satellite guide. She may have both I don't know
Old May 14th, 2024, 05:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy did I sleep good. Got to bed by 730, got up for Tiger around 10, slept until 4. Really feel good this morning.

We didn't see the aurora in Florida, it was too bright around where we were and a little cloudy. I kept reading that you couldn't really see it anyway but you could take a picture and it would show up in the picture. I thought, if you have to look at a picture, then just look at a picture. Matt those are some pretty cool pictures.

So Chris is your wife back to driving herself again?

We had a nice time in Florida. Good to see family and hang out, and we had a big dinner Sunday for Mother's Day and it was also my nephew's birthday. Also my brother called and talked to a bunch of us. Last time I talked to him was Christmas. He does carpentry work and was giving me tips on putting down laminate floor. He said he would come help me, which would translate into doing it for me. Not sure I could pay him enough to come from St. Louis. Anyway, easy drive there and easy drive home.

So question for the roofing people. I'm going to take my wood stove out. That will leave about a 7" hole in the roof. In the past when I had a branch come through the roof I put up a piece of sheet metal and replaced a couple shingles. Is the 7" hole too big to cover with sheet metal or can I do the sheet metal and replace shingles? The installer cut one of the rafters and I plan on sistering another piece with lag bolts. The hole in the ceiling in the dining room will probably be the hardest part to patch and make look right.

Well I have two wheels so far this morning and now wouldn't you know it the operating system is down. The lead isn't here. The people have run amuck. Eh. I'm at the ready for whenever.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 14th, 2024, 05:35 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Sheet metal is fine. Use an appropriate thickness. Sheet metal thickness ranges between 0.02" - 0.25" & might be listed by Gauge. The smaller the Gauge the thicker the sheet metal (like electrical wiring). Here's an example of some thicknesses. You might check an HVAC company/store/contractor/supply for a piece since they'll often use & have various thicknesses in fabricating. I'd probably use some roofing paper over the sheet metal (under the shingles). Some of this depends on what you have laying around most likely.

Old May 14th, 2024, 05:50 AM
Running On Empty

Another option might be to install a ready-made attic roof vent. You have options I suppose.

Old May 14th, 2024, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

So Chris is your wife back to driving herself again?

We had a nice time in Florida. Good to see family and hang out, and we had a big dinner Sunday for Mother's Day and it was also my nephew's birthday.
Mike - Glad you had a nice time in Florida with family. Yes, my wife has been cleared to drive again. I'm very happy for her, and me!
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:20 AM
Always room for one more

Norm that's a great idea, I hadn't considered a vent. However, the chimney is only a couple feet from the side of the house, and about half way down the roof. There are vents at the ridge(not a ridge vent). Would a vent half way down the roof negate what the top vents are supposed to do, ie interupt airflow of sorts?

Chris now you have to buy her a fancy sports car. Or let her drive the Olds.

Old May 14th, 2024, 10:12 AM

Chris now you have to buy her a fancy sports car. Or let her drive the Olds.
That may be coming??? However, I think she's reluctant to bring it up because of how many vehicles we already have, and we recently forked out all those $'s on the home refresh she wanted. I know exactly what she'd like, an early to mid-80's Monte SS, she loves those cars. I've already tried to get her to drive the 4-4-2, even just a cruise around the neighborhood, but I think she's scared of it and hasn't taken me up on my offer yet. I'm gonna keep working on her.
Old May 14th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Largely depends if they're active or passive vents. Some vents are active (automatic or manual) some are passive (hot air open vents &/or wind generated fan/blade vents). The most efficient vents will most often be located near the ridge(s) to take advantage of wind & principles of Venturi heat/air differential flow. We're kinda/sorta moving away from closing off a hole in the roof, but you've got maybe another idea or two.
Old May 14th, 2024, 10:50 AM
Always room for one more

Norm how about a periscope?

Chris I like the Monte SS. I drove a lot of them when I worked at a Chevy place after high school. I like the 83-84 because they had a sort of stone Blue color that was fabulous. But I like the 85-88 because they have T-tops. The Mexican market SSs came with a 4 speed. Heck, you need one because you'd have a car and a dog named Monte.

The operating system came back off and on late morning. I'm at 20 right now which is short of normal but pretty good considering. My wall guy left so I'm left to my own devices. Speaking of which, who do we know in Cincinnati area that can check out a car for me?

Old May 14th, 2024, 11:00 AM

Those old whirly bird round vents really could move some air for free.
Old May 14th, 2024, 11:07 AM

Chris I like the Monte SS. I drove a lot of them when I worked at a Chevy place after high school. I like the 83-84 because they had a sort of stone Blue color that was fabulous. But I like the 85-88 because they have T-tops. The Mexican market SSs came with a 4 speed. Heck, you need one because you'd have a car and a dog named Monte.
Mike - I like the blue SS's you mentioned too. I'm not going to encourage her. I'm not meaning to be selfish, but the way I'm looking at it, I'm next in line for the next major purchase. It's a mute point right now anyway because we don't have covered storage for anything else unless we move the daily driver into the driveway, and I don't think she'd like that.
Old May 14th, 2024, 12:23 PM
Running On Empty

Norm how about a periscope?
Love it!
Old May 14th, 2024, 12:38 PM

She said its called SkyView. I think I am going to get it. Its 2.99 or 5.99 bundled with another app called skyview satellite guide. She may have both I don't know
Thanks for the info. I have Sky View Lite on my devices because it's free, so I will look at purchasing for the added capabilities. And as a plus, I won't have to learn a new program.
Old May 14th, 2024, 02:28 PM

I always liked the Monte SS in blue as well. Not much going on here, just my 6 month with the dentist. Next month the implant goes in, then another 3-4 months to get the crown. Mike, I sent you a pm.
Old May 14th, 2024, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I always liked the Monte SS in blue as well. Not much going on here, just my 6 month with the dentist. Next month the implant goes in, then another 3-4 months to get the crown. Mike, I sent you a pm.
Dan - Good luck with the rest of the dental work, I hope it all goes well for you!
Old May 15th, 2024, 06:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Not a bad morning, I'm holding at 14 so far. My wall guy left so he could attend the inspection on the house he wants to buy. He said he'll be back, don't know how long, inspections can go on for hours.

I tell you I felt great yesterday. Got to bed early after a busy weekend, slept a lot, had a good breakfast, haven't felt that good at work in a long time. Wouldn't mind a repeat today.

Looks like it will be a nice day today. Mom wants to run an errand after work, so that precludes me doing anything. Of course tomorrow will rain. Eh, who cares. I get to things when I get to them.

So Chris the next big purchase for you should be a nice shop. Would your HOA have let you buy one of those lots behind you for a garage, or would they say it had to be a house to match the rest of the street?

Did I miss where Jamesbo said he'd be on the down low for awhile?

Guess I'll start over with the internet again. Have a good Hump Day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; May 15th, 2024 at 06:55 AM.
Old May 15th, 2024, 09:42 AM

Good morning everyone.

I tell you I felt great yesterday. Got to bed early after a busy weekend, slept a lot, had a good breakfast, haven't felt that good at work in a long time. Wouldn't mind a repeat today.

So Chris the next big purchase for you should be a nice shop. Would your HOA have let you buy one of those lots behind you for a garage, or would they say it had to be a house to match the rest of the street?
Mike - Great to hear you've been feeling so chipper. It's amazing what a really good night's sleep can do for you sometimes,

No can do on building an outbuilding in the subdivision. Small, tasteful utility sheds are permitted in the backyard out of street view. There are no longer any available lots there behind us. There is one remaining lot that is owned but hasn't been built on yet and I'm guessing they'll probably start construction soon.

However, a real possibility could be going halves (or other arrangement) on an outbuilding at my youngest daughter's place. They have a nice flat piece of property and no restrictions on erecting one, and they need the extra storage as much as I do. Although not ideal for me, they only live 5-minutes from us and it wouldn't be terribly inconvenient to run over there and grab a vehicle or anything else we might have stored.
Old May 15th, 2024, 04:07 PM

Would your HOA have let you buy one of those lots behind you for a garage, or would they say it had to be a house to match the rest of the street?
This made me think of the news story about the city making a fella put up a fence to hide his boat. Well, he showed them.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...%20the%20fence.

Old May 15th, 2024, 05:06 PM
Always room for one more

May I have your attention please

Since it's been since May 8 that we've heard from Jamesbo I texted him to see if he was okay. To my surprise I heard back from Izzy. She said Jim has been in the hospital with Legionnaires disease, which has given him severe pneumonia, and the medicine they're giving him is having a hard time working. The doctors are working on it.

In the meantime, she asks for lots of prayers, and also to keep posting here! Seems Jim has been looking at the forum when he can and doesn't want to miss anything. I'll start. Come back to us Jamesbo! Get well quick and leave the nurses be!!

That is all. As if that wasn't enough.

Old May 15th, 2024, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

Gotta love it. LMAO 🤣 🤣 🤣
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Thanks so much for the update! I noticed Jim was actually on-line, as in had logged onto the site recently. That's terrible. Jim - Buddy, you got this! Knock it down. Hang in there!!!
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:27 PM

May I have your attention please
Mike - Thanks so much for checking on Jim and letting us know what's going on!

Jim - I'm expecting you to kick it's A$$, and get home soon or I'm coming down there to make sure you do! Seriously, get well soon buddy, we all need our daily dose of Jamesbo. You know you'll be in our prayers.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 15th, 2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:36 PM
Running On Empty

Jim....

Old May 15th, 2024, 05:40 PM
Running On Empty

May I have your attention please. That is all.
Mike - Your MASH 4077 did not go unnoticed by me.
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:44 PM

Grandson Keegan's pre-School had an Ice Cream Social this evening to celebrate those who are moving on to Kindergarten next year.

Old May 15th, 2024, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintage chief
mike - your mash 4077 did not go unnoticed by me.
NOW HEAR THIS! /eom
Old May 15th, 2024, 06:03 PM

Get well quick Jim I thought of you needing Nurse Good Body 1st thing... Feel better soon

Old May 15th, 2024, 08:00 PM

OK Jim, you gotta work with whatcha got.

Start posting pictures of your hospital food. It’s OK if these are a bit out of focus.

Keep up your spirits and get well soon!
Old May 16th, 2024, 03:44 AM

Hang in there, Jim. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old May 16th, 2024, 04:00 AM

You're missed on here, get better soon Jim.
Old May 16th, 2024, 04:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Norm I wasn't purposely referencing MASH. But cool anyway. "Let me have your attention, this is Colonel Potter. Same to you."

Had a whopping 4 wheels waiting for me this morning. Well it's better than nothing. My wall guy is back and after hearing his description of the house inspection he went to yesterday, I think he should keep looking. But he's a jerk so whatever.

Chris nice looking family. I never went to pre-school. It must not have been invented when I was that age because Mom always thought I was underfoot and that would have been a good way to get me out of the house.

No rain today so I need to mow. A lot. I may even charge up the big mower. It actually helps a lot mowing with 60 inches as opposed to 42 inches. I'll wear a face shield for when that thing runs me into the low hanging branches.

Okay only an hour in and I'm already getting wheels. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 16th, 2024, 04:53 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Hope they're treating you well...

Old May 16th, 2024, 06:28 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris nice looking family. I never went to pre-school. It must not have been invented when I was that age because Mom always thought I was underfoot and that would have been a good way to get me out of the house.

No rain today so I need to mow. A lot.
Mike - Thanks for the compliment on the family! They didn't have pre-School when I was a kid either. I'm sure my Mom would have liked it, she could have gone back to work a little sooner. I really need to mow too. I'm really hoping for a dry window (sky and grass) to get it done. It seems like we're stuck in a pattern where it rains for 2 or 3-days and then we get 1 decent day. Its not raining right now, but the grass is soaked from overnight rain and dew. Not looking real promising right now with more rain in the forecast this afternoon.
Old May 16th, 2024, 09:44 AM

Hi guys,

Raining right now and the opportunity for mowing anytime soon is looking grim. At least it's not storming.

Man, when are the prices of stuff ever going to stabilize??? I've been using Mother's Brand Chrome Polish for a couple years on my 4-4-2 and motorcycles. Rub on, dry to haze, buff off, application. I like it a lot, leaves a nice shine with no streaks. Last 12oz bottle I bought 2-years ago was $8.54 (incl tax). Cheapest I could find it today on Walmart, $20.13 (incl tax) for the same 12oz bottle. WTF!!! I'm gonna try the Turtle Wax brand for $8 (w/o tax) and see how it works. I just can't see +$20 for a frickin 12oz bottle, thats just nuts! The margin for being able to make ends meet with just my monthly annuity shrinks with each passing month. I will not be a happy camper when I have to start dipping into savings to pay the monthly bills. Sorry for the rant.
Old May 16th, 2024, 09:56 AM

It is really interesting how much the prices of everything have increased, but labor wages have not. People are really getting the shaft in working class levels because they're not even staying afloat, let alone saving. This isn't economically sustainable.