The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Night Driving

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2024, 06:43 AM

Night Driving

I guess its time to join the "dont like to drive at night club" last night was brutal coming home from dinner with the grandkids and the wipers quit working in a driving downpour with snow mixed in . The glare was awful i took the back roads with less traffic to avoid headlights but was dark as hell out.Made it home safe and sound and thats what counts.Upon researching on the computer the fix was to shut the hood tighter ?? apparently the wipers won't work if the hood switch isn't fully engaged(2018 mercedes cla 250) ill have to look into this further when it stops raining. In my entire life ive never had oldsmobile wipers fail me ! Take that mercedes!!
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Glad you got home safe. You might consider night driving glasses that are tinted to block the glare of oncoming traffic (even if you don't wear glasses or contacts). I have prescription sunglasses and night driving glasses I keep in my truck. I grab them whenever I drive one of my jalopies.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:32 AM

Cataract surgery? One of the signs of cataract problems is increasing difficulty with night vision. Do you see halo-like rings around lights at night? Perhaps streetlights? Oncoming headlights? That sort of thing?

I'm 67 and will likely be having cataract surgery later this spring. Still have to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, but the optometrist I usually see thinks the ophth will agree.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:20 AM

This past winter when it was dark driving home from work I initially thought a bunch of people had their high beams on as I was getting blinded. Then I realized those vehicles with the blindingly bright lights were new vehicles with LED projector headlights. I was amazed the feds allow those lights as most of them appeared to throw light too far to the left at the oncoming traffic lane. It was very evident seeing oncoming traffic at a stop light, where the older vehicles were OK and the newer ones were not.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Cataract surgery? One of the signs of cataract problems is increasing difficulty with night vision. Do you see halo-like rings around lights at night? Perhaps streetlights? Oncoming headlights? That sort of thing?

I'm 67 and will likely be having cataract surgery later this spring. Still have to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, but the optometrist I usually see thinks the ophth will agree.
I suppose a trip to the eye doctor wouldn’t hurt I’ve always had great vision and the last time I seen an eye doctor he said I had 20/20 vision but that was 3 years ago . 60 now but yes some halos at night
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:22 AM

My brother, who is one year younger than me, had cataract surgery when he was 59. Did wonders for him.

Another sign of cataract problems is rapidly deteriorating vision. That's happened with me more than decrease of night vision. One of my eyes in particular, after decades with practically the same prescription strength, has seen (heh heh) a drastic increase in the last couple of years in the strength of prescription required to correct me back to 20/20. In fact, the best he could do in correcting that one eye is now 20/25.

The doctor said that I could likely go a few more years without the surgery and just continue to get increasingly stronger prescriptions. But the problem with that is that my eyes progressively get worse, and getting a new pair of eyeglasses once a year isn't enough. Right now it seems that my vision deteriorates enough that I probably could use a new pair of glasses every 3 or 4 months. But I don't want to have to go back to the eye doctor 4 times a year for a new prescription and a new pair of eyeglasses. That gets old and expensive.
​​​
Also, I figure that getting the surgery at a younger age than an older age is better as my body is a better able to handle the stress of the surgery, which isn't really isn't all that bad, but still...

Thirdly, the doctor pointed out that, the longer you wait, the larger the cataracts get, and they can also become harder, almost like diamond, he said, exaggerating only slightly. The smaller and softer they are, the easier they are to break up and remove. And once removed, an artificial lens is put in, cataracts don't come back.

Fourthly, the doctor said that many people, after the surgery, have much better native vision and often need very minor corrective lenses if they need anything at all. This happened with my father, who had cataract surgery in his mid-70s. He ended up not needing eyeglasses much at all, and, after 65 years of wearing eyeglasses, suddenly could go pretty much without them. He really only needed sunglasses for when outdoors.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:29 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Fun71
... Then I realized those vehicles with the blindingly bright lights were new vehicles with LED projector headlights. I was amazed the feds allow those lights as most of them appeared to throw light too far to the left at the oncoming traffic lane. It was very evident seeing oncoming traffic at a stop light, where the older vehicles were OK and the newer ones were not.
I have noticed exactly the same thing. It's not (just) my old eyes, I have heard drivers in their 20's complain about these lights as well.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:55 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Both my wife and I had cataract surgery several years ago, it corrected my vision from 20-100/20-200 to 20-15 both eyes and removed my astigmatism! We still don't do well with night driving but I have found that wearing the yellow tinted glasses helps bunches. I bought an inexpensive pair of UV glasses a couple years ago when doing a project around the house that involved using a UV lamp and use them as my night driving aid. I have occasionally used them during the day to eliminate the glare as well.

Last edited by 67OAI; March 10th, 2024 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add info
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:59 AM

The Soviet Union first, then Russia does what my ophthalmologist referred to as clear lens surgery. This is where you replace lenses that are fine to correct vision. This is very risky and should not be done. Cataracts require the same surgery, and, while you are there, putting in corrected lenses is just fine since you're there, but you're there because you must be there due to the cataracts.