The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

OCA is bullsh*t

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2024, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
yeah, the membership drive seems to be going well.
'
🤣
now that is funny
Old February 26th, 2024, 04:17 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah, the membership drive seems to be going well.

🤣
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
now that is funny

Old February 26th, 2024, 10:44 AM

Just a crazy thought- if it's a club, why don't the members vote on it?
Because then you open a can of worms with suggestions that members vote on every little thing. That's why you elect representatives and have them make policy decisions. If you don't like the decisions, you vote them out.

The comments in this thread notwithstanding, I'm guessing that 99% of OCA membership doesn't care a whit about the spirit item thing and wouldn't bother returning a ballot even if there was a vote. Some of them might even go so far as to wonder why the OCA is spending money to conduct a vote on something so minor.
Old February 26th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
because then you open a can of worms with suggestions that members vote on every little thing. That's why you elect representatives and have them make policy decisions. If you don't like the decisions, you vote them out.

The comments in this thread notwithstanding, i'm guessing that 99% of oca membership doesn't care a whit about the spirit item thing and wouldn't bother returning a ballot even if there was a vote. Some of them might even go so far as to wonder why the oca is spending money to conduct a vote on something so minor.
Old February 26th, 2024, 12:30 PM
Oldsdruid

Way back in the 90s I tried to get OCA to stagger elections, e.g. elect president, secretary and one zone director one year and VP, treasurer and the other director another year. Idea being to keep some continuity on the board instead of the possibility of having a complete new board after an election.

It was defeated on grounds that it was hard to get people to vote in one election every few years, much less two, and would be an expense with not much benefit.

As a director I tried best I could to improve OCA but, as in any bureaucracy, there is and has always been a lot of "but we've always done it this way" in the group. Add in egomaniacs and narcissists who couldn't stand for their toes to be stepped on and it was amazing anything ever changed.🙄

Last edited by rocketraider; February 26th, 2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 26th, 2024, 02:20 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Add in egomaniacs and narcissists who couldn't stand for their toes to be stepped on and it was amazing anything ever changed.🙄
Glenn, they were practicing to become politicians. Politicians think differently than the rest of us folk.

Gary
Old February 26th, 2024, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Glenn, they were practicing to become politicians. Politicians think differently than the rest of us folk.

Gary
well said
Old May 8th, 2024, 01:14 PM

Whenever I get mine done.....if I show it....I have all the factory literature (even to original widow sticker showing W-25 hood **LOL**). I doubt I'd bring it and definitely no OCA spirit items> But then, I'll be low on the totem pole cause of the Hi-Jacker Air Shocks, Sun tach and oil/water gauges, headers, Flowmasters, Pype's trumpet tips and 8 track after market tape player with a slide in mount.....just like 1972! I should get massive bonus points for the tape player with a pristine Grand Funk Live tape playing in it! LOL!!!
I was in the OCA initially in the late 1990's and enjoyed it and kept the dues up until it seemed like there was some sh*t going on in the officer ranks so I dropped out. Got back in in the 2000's but didn't stay long. It changed and didn't interest me. I have gone to a few Nationals and Homecomings over the years and do enjoy them. Loved the 100 year show in Lansing.

GM effed up when they got rid of Oldsmobile and PONTIAC IMO!

Last edited by OLE442; May 9th, 2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 8th, 2024, 01:59 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Back in 2017 or so not long after I had obtained my ragtop and had done a fair amount of work on it for mechanical reliability and some changes more to my taste, I went to an open-vehicle car show in the Tampa area which wasn't being sponsored by any particular club associations. Within minutes of parking my car in a show spot, I was approached by a guy who said he was an OCA officer.. He then literally started right in on me identifying everything about the car that wasn't factory for my year and/or model, to the point his wife was visibly embarrassed to be near him... I less-than-politely told him to take off before our encounter became unpleasantly personal... His wife got the message immediately and guided him on their way.

About another year after that I went to an actual OCA meet near me in FL - upon arrival the OCA members handling the show registrations asked if I wanted to join their club and I declined, relating the story of my prior encounter - I had never gotten the prior guy's name but by description of his behavior they knew whom I meant and beyond saying not all their members act that way, they didn't press me any further on the topic. The OCA people otherwise seemed happy to have my car and all the others that were there in whatever condition they were presented.

Last edited by 70sgeek; May 8th, 2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by DocRocket68
Here is how the literature and spirit items work at an OCA Nationals:
The items do not need to be in the trunk, just visible to the judges. I place mine in the passenger floor area. Literature covers anything factory or dealer created. All cars would have come with an owners manual, warranty card etc. Brochures, service manuals, and fabric/color books are other examples. Street/Stock, Modified, and Race Car classes do not have this requirement, nor does the Driver class.

Spirit item promote OCA, the chapters OR Oldsmobile in general. In your registration packet you'll receive a dash plaque and an event magazine, that's 2 items. Bring a copy of JWO and you're covered.
Other examples include OCA window decals, any chapter items, an award, shirts, jackets, hats, etc. It also includes anything that says Oldsmobile on it. A hat with a rocket logo works, a 442 logo on a t-shirt or a towel with an Olds script are other examples. I remind judges at the Friday morning meeting to look around, perhaps the owner may even be wearing something.

Brian McArthur
OCA Chief Judge
I agree this is NOT a big deal. points off for not having these is not a big deductions.

if one looks aroung most likely one already has a lot of these items.

Lots of literature dealers, etc an OCA sticker is not major money.

Personally I enjoy sharing the literature I have found. More then one person has told me how cool it is..

considering the thousands of dollars we put into restoring these cars, a few items like this are cump change

Jeff