The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2023, 05:18 PM

Which one?

Road trip Fort to Bragg, Two hundred mile, Olds or BMW, that is the question. Both are fit for the ride, or will be at departure, both will be fun on the coast, top down If weather will allow. My lady friend will have to pack light if we go BMW or we could throw an extra Jimmy Hoffa in the trunk of the 55, it's big enough. The BMW gets just about double in gas mileage but the 55 is a rolling car show all by its self. Better sounds in the BMB only AM in the 55. Decisions, decisions

The front end

The *** end
. What do you guys think?
Old September 25th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Seriously? The 55 hands down.
Old September 25th, 2023, 05:31 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I can see doing it in either. If it was me it would be weather dependent. The Olds if the weather is going to be good, the BMW if weather is going to be poor. The more modern BMW would probably be better in the rain.
Old September 25th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Better sounds in the BMB only AM in the 55.
Modern cell phones all receive FM radio stations & can accommodate a USB stick full of your favorites.
Old September 25th, 2023, 06:00 PM

Take the 55 and a boombox for the back seat.
Old September 26th, 2023, 03:33 AM

Are you going there and back in one day? Will you have covered parking for the Olds (or at least parking monitored by an attendant) if you stay the night?
Old September 26th, 2023, 04:48 AM

The 55 gets my vote.
Old September 26th, 2023, 07:22 AM

Take the Olds and a friend. If you miss the BMW just get in the trunk of the Olds and let your friend drive.
Old September 26th, 2023, 07:47 AM

Probably a three-day excursion, no FM in the Olds, lots of CDs in the BMW, About 40 miles of twisty down hill road going into Fort Bragg, but I've had the Olds down there several times with no problems, lots of fun with the BMW or a Miata. My friend will probably drive the BMW some, not so sure about having her drive the Olds yet, but she would like to I'm sure, we will see. Should be fun either way.... Tedd
Old September 26th, 2023, 07:54 AM

Take the BMW if it's a multi-day trip.
Old September 26th, 2023, 12:32 PM

With the roads being twisty take the bmw unless your friend gets car sick or if she drives and might decide to take a short cut
Old September 26th, 2023, 06:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Take the 55 unless the weather is bad. Forget about tunes and enjoy the 55.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 07:54 AM

Well it will be the 55, doing the final unload the trunk car show stuff and reload for trip stuff, it is kinda a mess from lack of attention.

Small problem has reappeared, carb will drain its bowl overnight and requires a long crank to start on the first startup, the rest of the day no problem. I'll look into this when I get back, its done this before. Lift off tomorrow at 7:30 AM if my lady has her stuff together, weather should be good, but top is up just in case. We had a rain dump a couple of days ago amounted to 1.3 inches overnight, always something when you get ready for a trip, hopefully top down when we get there.... Tedd
Old October 2nd, 2023, 08:30 AM

I'm sure you two will have a blast driving the 55. Make sure you share some pics.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 06:25 PM

I have found, sometimes, a decent first crank, then stop and wait ten seconds, and it lights off immediately on the second, works on some cars.
Old October 6th, 2023, 08:32 AM

Thanks Koda, It did seem to work on the startup issue, wonder what the mechanics behind that is?

Great trip, the lady did some of the driving in the 55 and did a good job, but had a little trouble learning the shift indicator positions as they are different from anything she has driven before. On twisty roads she got somewhat behind in the multi turn style slow turning of the steering, you gotta anticipate how many turns it will take to get around a tight turn, too slow and you are on the edge or too near the bank. It didn't help that the front end is starting to get a little sloppy and wonders a little, about the only thing that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced on the whole car. As usual the Mistress was the center of attention where ever we went. We had people look us up in a restaurant just to say how much they liked the car, a thumbs up would have been just fine, thank you. We managed to cover about 500 miles total, ate good saw, the sights, revisited old places, did the beach thing and in general were the typical truest of the area.

Pictures to come, my new phone has to be programmed before my computer will download them, always something that I don't know squat about, where is a grandkid when you need them?
Old October 6th, 2023, 09:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, if you will put an electric fuel pump back by the tank, you can use it to basically prime the carb. You can then turn it off and run with your regular mechanical fuel pump. Put a simple toggle switch in your glove box to control the pump.
Old October 6th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Past Administrator

Hope the trip is/has been fun.
Old October 7th, 2023, 05:38 AM

Thanks, Glenn, but I always worried about points diction in the past for add on parts, but hell I'll probably never go to a serious point show again, just too much prep work anymore to be fun. Tedd
Old October 7th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am with you Tedd. If it ain't fun, then why do it. Hope you are having a good trip.
Old October 7th, 2023, 07:15 AM

Glad the priming thing worked.

Mechanical engineering spitball here, but I theorize that the fuel has some momentum, and, by stopping, it can coast into the bowl and sink into the idle circuits for a few seconds, thus cutting down some cranking time.
Old October 7th, 2023, 07:48 PM

Home yesterday, car show today, my lady had a great time both places. Lowered the top on the 55 in front of a crowd at the show, people seemed to get a kick out of this for some reason. I had three different people want to buy the car (or so they said) Good show, a Cars and Coffee really, with about 300 cars . This has become the go-to place lately and I even had a Cuttles parked next to me. I think we were the only Oldsmobile's there...Tedd