The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

realoldspower.com is it a joke ?

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Telecom Guru

FWIW I think the reason ROP requires manual validation is because their software, phpBB, can be susceptible to bots and spammers. I used to run an ATV forum on phpBB and had to make a few configuration changes to keep the bots out. They register fake accounts and put web addresses in their profiles to artificially boost search engine rankings. Or worse they post a crapload of spam advertising all over your forums. Bastards.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by agtw31
that's my point.look at all these people still wanting to get on ROP.
Its not a point. All those people CAN'T get on ROP. If these people COULD get on, there would be no complaint and you wouldn't even notice.

All the people getting on Classic, or OP or others don't need to complain. They are taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.

John
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jslabotsky
FWIW I think the reason ROP requires manual validation is because their software, phpBB, can be susceptible to bots and spammers.
This is exactly why Oldspower went to manual validation. An email coming in saying "hey why can't I log on" is a pretty good indicator that they are not a bot.

John
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Banned

hey why cant i log on?
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
ROP might have gotten a little bit more civilized since I was there last time.
I doubt that! I just quit last week over some really insulting political remarks a couple users that haven't got a clue put on there, even tho' the general hangout board says "no politics"! Apparently the admin isn't even interested in keeping his own site halfway civilized!

So I left! Other boards I can get my specialized info from- & they're "gentlemen" who really help!

Ralph
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Other boards I can get my specialized info from- & they're "gentlemen" who really help!
That is cool! I recall there was alot of political debate on ROP. I get enough of that at work and with my friends. I don't need it on the internet as well.
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM

That is cool! I recall there was alot of political debate on ROP. I get enough of that at work and with my friends. I don't need it on the internet as well.
Yeah, well, if it were at least debate instead of pure ranting, then......

R.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Captain of my ship

Political debate???

You cannot have a debate when people are on opposite sides and passionate about it , kind of like if we start debating on if there actually is a "God" or if the church wants you to believe in one so they can stay in existance.
This is not a forum to "debate" politics or religion because said debates will turn into arguements and that is a fact we cannot change. Oldsguy needs to be diligent on such threads like the one going now about having it right 50 years ago with a satyrical cartoon.
Debating the facts of this cartoon will only eventually lead into aruement as did the thread on the economy which led into the loss of a member who did not want to hear any view of "bleeding heart liberals".
The ranting and cussing that goes on at ROP would not be what we here should or degrade ourselves into. just my 2 cents.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM

.... & I (obviously) agree wholeheartedly!

Ralph
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by wolfman98
You cannot have a debate when people are on opposite sides and passionate about it , kind of like if we start debating on if there actually is a "God" or if the church wants you to believe in one so they can stay in existance.
This is not a forum to "debate" politics or religion because said debates will turn into arguements and that is a fact we cannot change. Oldsguy needs to be diligent on such threads like the one going now about having it right 50 years ago with a satyrical cartoon.
Debating the facts of this cartoon will only eventually lead into aruement as did the thread on the economy which led into the loss of a member who did not want to hear any view of "bleeding heart liberals".
The ranting and cussing that goes on at ROP would not be what we here should or degrade ourselves into. just my 2 cents.
Doing our best. Sometimes a moderator handles it, sometimes a mod lets a supermod or admin handle it. We are trying to maintain a balance, allowing a post to go on without deleting it immediately hoping that members will not get in the argument you mentioned, sometimes it does; then we PM members with a friendly reminder and close the post as I did in the 50 year cartoon thread (which by the way I did BEFORE reading this one). People can be offended and leave for any number of reasons and I hate for that to happen at all. I know it has happened before and will again, and am saddened knowing that. Everyone deserves a little respect and civility, especially on the internet where it can be a very rare item.

Let's all try to limit our discussions to Oldsmobile, and when not, as in the general and clubhouse forums then remain civil and steer away from Political and Religious subjects.

edit: If anyone notices a post that is not civil or strays too far from these guidelines please report it. Sometimes we miss them, I know for a fact I don't read every post, not enough time in the day. We will then take a look see..............
Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys and this site are the BEST!!! You're kind, helpful, full of information, patient with girls that have questions and no clue (lol) and funny!! You're not rude or arrogant or just plain crude! I've looked at other sites, and it's like "no thanks"!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM

You guys and this site are the BEST!!!
Oh yeah!

Impressing the ladies.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM

hey why cant i log on?

I'm sure you are logging on.... maybe not to post but to watch...

John
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Oh yeah!

Impressing the ladies.
I beleive it. With all the 20 something horny toads on Oldspower, we can't keep ladies there to save our lives. I'm sure the "hot chick picture thread" doesn't help much either...

John
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
You guys and this site are the BEST!!! You're kind, helpful, full of information, patient with girls that have questions and no clue (lol) and funny!! You're not rude or arrogant or just plain crude! I've looked at other sites, and it's like "no thanks"!!
I like this site alot.
I have not heard any good news about ROP.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I read some of the stuff on ROP because there are some very knowledgable people there. I have no desire to be a member. I tried to register about 3 years ago and never got a response. Now I am glad I didn't. It appears to be a very clickish group where many of the members know each other personally. One other thing. Is it just me or does the number of post at 442.com appear to be declining and this site growing? I am not taking a shot at 442.com, it just seems that way to me.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Doing our best.
....and doing a pretty good job, too- at least from where I sit!

I either go here, or (because they're also helpful & courteous!), or if I need year-pertinent info ('64-'65 442/Cutlass), then
www.ultra-high-compression.com

Jasen & Bro have really amassed a ton of info & "how-to's" on them!

Ralph
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
It appears to be a very clickish group where many of the members know each other personally. One other thing. Is it just me or does the number of post at 442.com appear to be declining and this site growing? I am not taking a shot at 442.com, it just seems that way to me.
Yes, they are on the "clickish" side, BUT that is because the Olds community in of itself is small. The site was created BY drag racers who probably met 90% of the other members at the staging lanes. They don't take too kindly to noobs. BUT if you don't go in and show your *** they are tolerable.

I beleive the 442.com site isn't being maintained, and like anything has fallen into disrepair. If you look at thier for sale ads, it appears people seem to think that is the ONLY place to get parts. Its like the "Barrett-Jackson" prices of the Olds interwebs. They charge for ads, so that is probably the only reason they are still breathing. (IMHO of course)

From where I sit, Classic has grown by leaps and bounds compared to when I first signed up in 06. It was VERY slow, and it took DAYS to get any response on ads, or questions. Membership has grown, most likely taking from the other sites members pool when there is a rift.

John
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by German442
....and doing a pretty good job, too- at least from where I sit!

I either go here, or (because they're also helpful & courteous!), or if I need year-pertinent info ('64-'65 442/Cutlass), then
www.ultra-high-compression.com

Jasen & Bro have really amassed a ton of info & "how-to's" on them!

Ralph

Thanks Ralph! Ours is a niche board catering to a very small audience. If you have a 64 or 65 F85/Cutlass/442 its the place to be.

Last edited by TK-65; October 6th, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by German442
I doubt that! I just quit last week over some really insulting political remarks a couple users that haven't got a clue put on there, even tho' the general hangout board says "no politics"! Apparently the admin isn't even interested in keeping his own site halfway civilized!

So I left! Other boards I can get my specialized info from- & they're "gentlemen" who really help!

Ralph
i would like to how were you forced to look at topics you don't like.
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

i would like to how were you forced to look at topics you don't like.
I try not to look at threads like that....And iam no quitter takes more than a politcal thread to scare me off a forum.........Guess some just are not as die hard as us ...............Jerr
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Thats really stupid. The forum will send out an email when a new member registers. Why don't they just set that email for the updates.
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I find useful info on all the boards. I spend my time here and ROP though.

I just wish I could contribute more than I'm able...I'm the rookie hobbyist always asking the questions ,but I'm learning
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Telecom Guru

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Thats really stupid. The forum will send out an email when a new member registers. Why don't they just set that email for the updates.
If you are referring to manual account validation, as someone who has maintained a forum running phpBB I can tell you the bots are smart enough to automatically validate themselves if you use Email-based activation. You have to trip them up at the initial registration form or use manual activation.

I've been in touch with Russell recently when he activated my account and offered some tips based on my experience with phpBB. He was very interested but like the rest of us I would imagine he's a busy guy. It's hard to find time to mess with stuff like that. Sure manual activation is an inconvenience. On the other hand, 73-77olds.com does e-mail acivation and a whole bunch of guys over there are b!tching up a storm over getting a couple of spam PMs. A webmaster is in a no-win situation.

As for the arguing on ROP, I just tune out the non-technical stuff and stay out of the General Discussion area. On the technical stuff, it's good to see differing points of view. And frankly, sometimes the quality of an individual's argument gives you an idea whether they know what the hell they're talking about. As always, JMHO.
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Land Yacht Captain

No what I am talking about is when you have it set to admin activation the forum will send an email to the forum administrators notifying them of a new member. There is no reason why new users should have to send an additional email to get the account activated.