The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Recommended cold weather work clothes

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Recommended cold weather work clothes

Its about 15 degrees outside and I've got nothing to do. I should be working on my cutlass but I know I'll freeze in my unheated garage. Can any of you recommend some cold weather gear for the garage? I'd prefer low bulk, washable, warm, and reasonable $.

Also, how do you clean you mechanics gloves? Oil and greese seem to kill them.
Thanks.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Question work clothes

I start out first with Long Jons then get dressed in street clothes then put on my coveralls Walls Blizzard proof or the $ ones carhart & buy the cheap brown jersy gloves 10 Pair $10 or so then when they get beyond use Trash them By the way I have alot of LH gloves that aren't wore out yet ? Also you can get a box of the latex gloves & put them on first They keep your hands pretty warm under the gloves of your choice
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just A BaBy {:

you should look in to forced air heater with carasin.only time you will be cold is geting the carasin!
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Kerosene salamaders burn with more smell than LP ones do. But the Kero ones can be temperature controlled better.

As for outer wear. You can't beat Carhart coveralls. They'll keep you toasty. You want a nice set of insulated boots and socks that'll wick away the sweat. Your feet will get cold first. Wear a good hat or hood. Heat rises and escapes from your head the most, so keep you head warm. I like the idea of the jersey gloves for being disposable. But if you're not doing much greasy oily stuff, Mechanix-wear makes a cold weather glove that works pretty well. I have a pair of knock-offs and while they're not the best, they're better than nothing at all.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearhead1218
Kerosene salamaders burn with more smell than LP ones do. But the Kero ones can be temperature controlled better.

As for outer wear. You can't beat Carhart coveralls. They'll keep you toasty. You want a nice set of insulated boots and socks that'll wick away the sweat. Your feet will get cold first. Wear a good hat or hood. Heat rises and escapes from your head the most, so keep you head warm. I like the idea of the jersey gloves for being disposable. But if you're not doing much greasy oily stuff, Mechanix-wear makes a cold weather glove that works pretty well. I have a pair of knock-offs and while they're not the best, they're better than nothing at all.
I'll second the Carhart coveralls. I've had a set for over 5 years and I use them outside on the farm. Just remember to layer your clothes - it's the air spaces that are the best insulation.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Friend of mine wears panty hose when he goes deer hunting. Less bulk, and warmer than thermals, he sez. He's not too tall, so he can wear his wife's castoffs, and swears by them. Can get on and off his horse easier that way, too. Personally, I haven't tried them, since most of my outdoor cold work has been with fire fighting gear on.
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
Friend of mine wears panty hose when he goes deer hunting. Less bulk, and warmer than thermals, he sez. He's not too tall, so he can wear his wife's castoffs, and swears by them. Can get on and off his horse easier that way, too. Personally, I haven't tried them, since most of my outdoor cold work has been with fire fighting gear on.
The $50 silk thermal underwear I wore to Finland was made pretty much like pantyhose... I am sure the silk set I had was a little warmer but the concept is to be tight but not restrictive to wick away moisture from the body.
The cheap cotton thermal underwear can get damp during wear from body moisture and then you feel cold and clammy. The more active you are, the wetter they will become.
If you feel damp, you feel cold. Your top layers should be breathable, too.

That silk set I have, along with some good sweats, wind pants, a fleece jacket, wool socks, and polar boots kept me warm at -10*. Adding a ski jumper kept me almost warm enough on some -30* days and nights out on the snowmobiles at high speed... That is all overkill for our main topic here though...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 19th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Past Administrator

Kind of on topic - off topic, there is a co-worker here that is Inuit (from Alaska), he wears short sleeve shirts all year round and hardly ever wears a jacket. Something to be said for genes I guess.
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM
car nut farmer

A good pair of thermals from the sporting goods department(they have the best), a nice heavy and loose sweatshirt, stocking cap, cotton gloves, and mats/carpet to stand and lay on. Seperate your body from the cold concrete.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM

The months of April through October works best for me
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM

Raid wifies pantyhose drawer, cut off the toes. They work well as an underlayer for thermals. I use them in zero and subzero weather under my thermals. Also long sleve t shirts. If you pair them up wit a good set of thermals you will be fine in a jacket, and jeans. Since I tried it last year, I hardly ever have to mess around with my covvies, and manuverability is improved. Helps when you are tring to tarp a load 13' off the ground on snowy material. Biggest risk...funny looks from the wife
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM

I've got 2 pair of thinsulate lined jeans which have me toasty even in the -30 w/windchill, plus a carhartt coat. One t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and some good socks keep me warm all day long. I only wear 1 pair of jeans at a time also.