The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

sholder replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2022, 07:01 AM

sholder replacement

I'm going in this morning for a total shoulder joint replacement. My question is for anyone that has had it done before, how long does it take before you can do anything(like driving) in a safe manner. I will have automatics if need be, and that is if I can get in and out of them, One is the z3, so it may be a problem. Just curious, trying to figure out my time management.... Tedd
Old April 26th, 2022, 07:48 AM

I don't know, but God Bless, Tedd. Do what the doctors tell you, especially the therapy. Hopefully you'll get some hot young thing as your therapist to help get the blood moving.
Old April 26th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

All Tedd needs to do is to get that girl in his car above and his blood will be flowing for sure. Seriously Tedd, I hope all goes well with your surgery and you have a good and speedy recovery.
Old April 26th, 2022, 08:13 AM

I had one done about 4 years ago but it was the left shoulder so it probably didn't have much impact on driving. What did was the pain meds I was on for a while. Recovery did take a while but I can say that it works great once totally healed and the PT done. Initially I had to take it easy, probably a 3-4 weeks. Getting dressed and showering etc was a challenge. I should have slept on the other side of the bed so when getting out I didn't roll onto it. I slept in bed from day 1 with a slight wedge. Figure on taking it easy for the 1st 2 weeks then slowly and cautiously get active.
Good Luck,'Steve
Old April 26th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Still got my OEM shoulders so I'm no help there, but best of luck, Tedd.
Old April 26th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Running On Empty

Good luck, Tedd.
Old April 26th, 2022, 10:20 AM

Tedd, we're all pullin' for you. Good luck.
Old April 26th, 2022, 12:29 PM

My wife just had it done, been about 2 months, and she good to go, has as much movement that she will get. She had to have a sling for about 8 weeks, but was able to take it off when in bed, after about 4 weeks. Had to sleep in a chair for at least a week.I think she drove in about 3 to 4 weeks. Hers is the left one. She really didn't want to do it, but was getting so bad, she could not even fix her hair. I think the DR said last time she was there, she is as good a will be, and all most full movement, and no pain. She has also had both her knees done, and she said this is easier. She was not on pain med very long.
Old April 26th, 2022, 12:41 PM

If you have a comfy recliner (or articulating bed), might want to test it for sleeping on.

​​​​​​….
Old April 26th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up

Best wishes.
Old April 26th, 2022, 03:48 PM

had mine worked on in 04,thought the could fix it,when they got in there ther was nowhere to fasten the 3 screws for the socket,so they put the ball in and turned me loose. cant do lifting with that one, has a catch in it. right one is as bad,but if they couldt fix the left,i wont let they do the right. one thing i did do,but didnt like it, after my sling was off,in my sleep i would take a swing at ? hurt like hell. sounds like your gonning to be good. prayers for you
Old April 26th, 2022, 06:43 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

-Go binge shopping and stock up on food n booze so you don't have to shop for a month.

-Stock up on whatever they give you for pain meds. Order them 5 days before the script refill is allowed. As they will cut you off for horror and fear of addiction.

-Get a script for 800mg Ibprofin and 625 Acetaminophen and take both at the same time(when not on the opioids as they can already have Acetamimn!!!). Trust me take both at the same time. Eventually, you will ween off the HD stuff and go straight to the 625/800 and single-cut Bourbon. That's when you know you are on the other side of it. Don't be afraid to try the medicinal stuff in small doses.

-Get something for the nerve pain which acts as a sleep aid such as Amitriptyline. I tried Gabapentin or Meloxicam as well. Amit worked best at night the others during the day.
Try them all and see which one works for you. If it's not knocking down the pain call the doc. Give it a day to two days then call doc and say this **** ain't working. You have to be your own advocate today,

-Get used to sleepin and don't feel guilty about it you've earned it gray beard.

-If you are claiming short-term disability you should have started the paperwork with HR and the insurance co 3 weeks ago.

-Drink 55 gallons of water and or zero water or Ultima Replenisher(amazon) daily.

-Take plenty of dear lord please-let-me-**** pills(Docusate sodium 50mg or other... talk to the Pharmacist). The opioids will lock your *** up tighter than a frog's *** in a pond. Do fiber too. If not you will be ripping towel racks off the wall each and every **** thereafter and buying Prep H by the drum and applying it with a floor squeegee.

-Do not do anything for the first two weeks...nothing! You will be bored and watch things on Netflix you would normally never watch. But when it heals you will wonder why you waited so long to do it.

Good luck Ted. This is a fairly routine low-risk surgery yet still frightening.
Steve
Old April 26th, 2022, 08:11 PM

55 gallons, Doc?
Old April 26th, 2022, 09:24 PM

Praying for a quick recovery Tedd!
Old April 27th, 2022, 04:21 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Koda
55 gallons, Doc?
Yep stay hydrated.
Old April 27th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Tedd, I hope the surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. Make sure you follow the doctor's orders and you'll be better in no time.
Old April 27th, 2022, 06:38 PM

Done deal, really tired to night, shoulder is starting to ache and so is the sorta good left side also, I'm typing with my left hand, that's a long learning curve for me Doc said I was full of junk, but everything should good in time. He knew that a head of time all the CT scans and X-rays Old habits are hard ,to break I find myself trying opening doors even with the sling on Thanks for all the good words and advice, headed to bed, night all...Tedd
Old April 29th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Doing OK, I've got the aches and pain as mentioned above. But all is doable. I've had worse. A left-hand typist, I'm not. Thanks all..Tedd
Old April 29th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Possibly more than you care to get involved with, although it's simple to set up, you can talk (dictate) text (typing) for anything on your computer - messaging, emails, forums and the like. Just "in case" you decide you might want to go that route. You need a microphone but most laptops, tablets, etc. have a built-in microphone (so do cell phones). Just a thought.
Old April 29th, 2022, 03:59 PM

Thank you for the update Tedd. I'm glad to hear your doing OK.
Old April 29th, 2022, 05:01 PM
Gary

Good to hear you are OK, Tedd. Thanks for letting us know about your progress.
Old April 29th, 2022, 06:51 PM
Oldsdruid

Did the doc use a nerve block on you? I'm convinced the nerve block is why I had little pain after the rotator cuff job I had back in 2016. I think I took four of the hillbilly heroin tabs and then left them alone.

My surgeon wanted me to sleep in a recliner so I wouldn't roll over on the shoulder and I thought this'll never work. After a few nights in the lazyboy I was sleeping better than I had in years and didn't wake up with backaches. 6 years later I still sleep in it. If I ever go back to a bed it'll have to be one of those adjustable jobs.

Hope you recover well Tedd. Any PT prescribed?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 03:56 PM

Sleeping on my back isn't a problem for me, I'm plugged into a C pap machine and other stuff and I have gotten use to laying on my back all night, I don't think much about it anymore. As far as moving to one side of the bed or the other, there is no lump to move around anymore, so that isn't an issue. Kinda miss that lump at times. I can tell this is going to take a while, but I'm on the mend, doctor appointment on Monday to see if I have been naughty or nice, He is a BMW and Miata racer, and I'm sure he will put the screws to me about driving my cars, never said I was an angle, don't think he ever did think I made that cut... Tedd
Old May 5th, 2022, 10:39 AM

Sometimes the shoulder is a bitch with deep pain clear to the elbow, on the good side I'm getting more movement and articulation and there is no issue with driving the Money Pit, getting out or in doesn't cause a problem unless I get careless and bump something I shouldn't. I have been cutting down on the opiates and switching over to mostly the high test Tylenol.

Cars and Coffee is a happening on Saturday, it's a maybe for me depending on pain level at that time. The car needs a genital wash and dry, and that might be the deciding factor for me, that and getting just too tired..... Tedd
Old May 5th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
...The car needs a genital wash and dry ...
Glad to hear you're on the mend and getting off the junk, Tedd, but I have to say this is creating an unfortunate mental image.
Old May 5th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

The car needs a genital wash and dry..
Say what, Tedd? TMI...
Old May 5th, 2022, 01:14 PM

It is a lady car, so much for spell check! Kinda goes with my years of driving a hairdresser's car.... Tedd
Old May 5th, 2022, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Did the doc use a nerve block on you? I'm convinced the nerve block is why I had little pain after the rotator cuff job I had back in 2016. I think I took four of the hillbilly heroin tabs and then left them alone.

My surgeon wanted me to sleep in a recliner so I wouldn't roll over on the shoulder and I thought this'll never work. After a few nights in the lazyboy I was sleeping better than I had in years and didn't wake up with backaches. 6 years later I still sleep in it. If I ever go back to a bed it'll have to be one of those adjustable jobs.

Hope you recover well Tedd. Any PT prescribed?
Rocketraider, I did get the nerve block in the neck,, Ive had the nerve blocks in other areas, but this is the first for my neck, story behind this procedure but it will have to wait till I type with both hands....Tedd
Old May 6th, 2022, 05:37 AM

I had my shoulder repaired in November, pain is unreal, I’m back at maybe 75%.
id rather have a bad back, lol. Good luck. Ice it often, I hope your Dr got you hooked up on the ice/ compression machine, it’ll be your best friend. And do therapy. 3-4 months.
im still fighting tendinitis in my bicep, I just hope it gets better with time. Good luck!
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:29 AM

It's early in the rebuild of my shoulder but I sure hope I recoup some of my endurance./ energy . I did the Cars and Coffee, and I was totally shot the rest of the day. To tell the truth, I haven't really recovered from the Covid virus thing as yet so the combination of the two is kicking my butt. Hope I can do the road trip thing down the road. Utah is heavy on my mind, outstanding scenery to be found there.... Just dreaming this morning...Tedd
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:02 AM
Running On Empty

Just dreaming this morning...Tedd
I like how you go after things, Tedd. Nothing wrong with dreaming...hope all your dreams come true....

Old May 8th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Ted, I had mine done a few years back and I can say I was my worst enemy. I have no patience for recovery. I want to get going doing everything asap. It didn't help at all. It is a major surgery and your body will need time and rest to fully recover. As previously stated physical therapy and the ice machine will help. It is a drag no doubt, struggling with everyday things like getting dressed and on and on. The last thing you want is to think" I shouldn't have done that and wonder if you have lengthened your recovery. In the end you will be happy with the results, unfortunately it takes time.
Steve
Old May 9th, 2022, 05:55 AM

Tedd, glad to hear you're on the mend.
Old May 11th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Tried to go out on a date with a girlfriend and the Money Pit, got stuck in the snow in my own driveway, only about 1 1/2 inch of wet stuff. Man, that Money Pit is a flatlanders' car. I don't think she was impressed with the Baravian bullet as we walked up to the house in the snow and got in the Durango. Oh, well, I needed the exercise anyway.... Tedd
Old May 14th, 2022, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Ted, I had mine done a few years back and I can say I was my worst enemy. I have no patience for recovery. I want to get going doing everything asap. It didn't help at all. It is a major surgery and your body will need time and rest to fully recover. As previously stated physical therapy and the ice machine will help. It is a drag no doubt, struggling with everyday things like getting dressed and on and on. The last thing you want is to think" I shouldn't have done that and wonder if you have lengthened your recovery. In the end you will be happy with the results, unfortunately it takes time.
Steve
Steve, I know exactly what you mean, I brought in a light arm full of firewood, didn't think I hurt anything and suffered for three days.. You are asking your self why would he carry in wood, well it turns out I'm the care taker for my care taker. She is just about to the stage where she can't walk with swollen legs. Worst decision I ever made, letting her talking me into thinking she could help me out when I really needed her. Long sad story for another day, I'm doing OK as of now. Tedd
Old May 14th, 2022, 03:00 PM

Steve, I know exactly what you mean, I brought in a light arm full of firewood, didn't think I hurt anything and suffered for three days.. You are asking your self why would he carry in wood, well it turns out I'm the care taker for my care taker. She is just about to the stage where she can't walk with swollen legs. Worst decision I ever made, letting her talking me into thinking she could help me out when I really needed her. Long sad story for another day, I'm doing OK as of now. Tedd
Tedd, its about the SNOW. Porsche's are no better in the snow. "can't walk with swollen legs" means she also can't get out and push the Bavarian Bullet in the snow ? Take care of #1.
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:53 AM

More movement,but at a price. I had a couple of days/ nights with pretty intense deep pain, drove me nuts at night. In general, it's getting better. I'll be working on door card repair today till I get tired, the MP is getting close to being finished and what I can't do one-handed I'll have someone else do it, still waiting for door skins that are on back order from the UK, says they are being shipped?... Tedd
Old May 20th, 2022, 08:18 AM

Doing OK, getting better almost every day, somewhat, nights are another story. Doubtful the pain is more intense, but there is nothing going on to distract it. Doc said I should be back to normal in a couple, three weeks if I don't screw it up. Not sure if he knows what my normal is, but I'll find out, I think he did good work, this is the second joint replacement he has done for me, and I'll have him do my other shoulder when I need it done. On the mend... Tedd
Old May 20th, 2022, 09:03 PM

I'm holding onto happy thoughts for a speedy recovery, Tedd. You're the man!
Old May 27th, 2022, 09:22 AM

I had my first PT session yesterday, more of a check-up to see what stage I was in to recoup and what my thoughts, goals were. My therapist spent about 20 minutes working on the shoulder scar. The hardest part was trying to relax when she was working on it, she must have told me just relax 20 times, didn't hurt much, but I was a bit gun shy. Twice a week, and I'm sure things will get more intense as I heal. On the mend....Tedd

Quick Reply: sholder replacement