The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Sometimes I wonder how you Californians can stand to actually live in that state!

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Sometimes I wonder how you Californians can stand to actually live in that state!

Fireworks shows need new environmental review

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...mental-review/

"Superior Court Judge Linda Quinn said La Jolla’s annual Fourth of July fireworks show requires evaluation under the California Environmental Quality Act, or CEQA."
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

- Eric
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM

What scares me is a lot of what happens in California is only a few years from happening elsewhere in the country. I care about the environment, but I don't think its as frail and trepidatious as we're lead to believe.

Montgomery Burns (of Simpons fame) said it best.
“Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she’s losing! Well I say, hard cheese”
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"Superior Court Judge Linda Quinn said La Jolla’s annual Fourth of July fireworks show requires evaluation under the California Environmental Quality Act, or CEQA."

What a nutbag. It is unfortunate for the normal folks who iive there. California is such a nice state but has been ruined. I am not going to get political.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Try being stationed on an Army base in CA where the Environmental wackos come in and cite your commander because there is oil on the floor under a vehicle that you are wrenching on at the moment. These guys are pious, pompus, arrogant, cutthroat businessmen that do nothing for the environment and everything for a financial coffer. Global warming my a@# just like the mafia to fine fine you for "protection".......whew I'm worked up gonna end this now
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Things like this are why I do not plan to live there.
Sure the weather is great, scenery is great (outside the big cities) and you are close to the ocean, but those are the state's own "problems" - too many people are there or want to move there. More people, more pollution. Unfortunately they have to try to limit the pollution more than the other states, but they do so in too many ways. Ever hear about the 'catalytic converters on lawn mowers' proposal a while back?
Hopefully surrounding states like Oregon does not go crazy like that...
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

neighborhood associations are just as bad and they are everywhere
my brother got sued by his neighborhood association because his fence was a foot higher than they said it should be
he went 6 feet thay said 5 feet is as high as he could go AFTER HE HAD IT INSTALLED
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Sadly Rob Oregon and Washington are not far behind California. The previous governer adopted the same clean air standards of California for Oregon, even though we don't have the same air pollution problems as our Southern neighbor.

The one that I'm chafing on right now is point source pollution from logging roads. The EPA has decided if muddy water is running off dirt roads and being collected in ditches, then flowing through culverts that's a point source pollution. The answer is for us to "purchase" a permit allowing us to pollute. Nevermind that the natural process is for the mountains to go to the oceans... and during a storm event I don't know anybody who can determine how much sediment came off the mountainside vs the road. And this would do nothing to change that. It would cost a gazillion dollars to put gravel on all the dirt roads to reduce this, which nobody has proposed. The answer is pay a fee and continue doing what we've always been doing. So I wonder if that will ever be expanded to our driveways? Anything that has muddy water flowing off it in a rain storm? OK... I'm dancing on the edge of politics here so I'll just say some of the elected and unelected decision makers are doing wacky things. And its driving me CRAZY!!! FRUIT LOOPS CRAZY
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Sadly Rob Oregon and Washington are not far behind California. The previous governer adopted the same clean air standards of California for Oregon, even though we don't have the same air pollution problems as our Southern neighbor. :
X2 and I think Oregon tries to lead rather than follow at times.

But I love it here. Now if the rain would stop, it would warm up a little and we had some sun that would be great!

Don
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
. Ever hear about the 'catalytic converters on lawn mowers' proposal a while back?
Small engine pollution for things like lawn equipment is on the EPA's hit list. I have been told 2013 or 2014 there will be tough new standards for any new one sold.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The EPA has decided if muddy water is running off dirt roads and being collected in ditches, then flowing through culverts that's a point source pollution. The answer is for us to "purchase" a permit allowing us to pollute.
And that should tell you everything you need to know about USEPA. Accountable to no one and intent on self-preservation thru "fees" and "permits" which coincindentally raise revenue to keep feeding the beast.

Better to chop its head off, say I.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fakser
These guys are pious, pompus, arrogant, cutthroat businessmen that do nothing for the environment and everything for a financial coffer.
He nailed it.

It's just another revenue generation scheme IMO.
Taxes in the name of safety.....think about it, endless potential....
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Taxes in the name of safety.....think about it, endless potential....
Same as "charging" you for not wearing a seat belt or motorcycle helmet, or for going over an artificially low, and universally ignored speed limit.

The gummint's got lots of experience with this stuff.

ChaCHING!

- Eric