The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Varosha

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Varosha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25496729

You can read the article, and others, as you like. The long and short comes down to .. this city in Cyprus was abandoned much like Chernobyl and Fukushima .. but without the radioactivity. My point of discussion being

Signs warn tourists peering across the fence that "photos and movies are forbidden." Trespassers risk death. Exiled residents regularly pin love-letters and flowers to the barbed wire.
Other than Turkish soldiers, few have ventured inside. Those that have describe extraordinary sights. A car dealership still stocked with 1974 cars, window displays of mannequins dressed in long-gone fashions, the sand dunes that have encroached over the seafront with rare sea turtles nesting in them.
Pictures of the devastation circulate online but the photographers won't always admit to taking them
Made me think about what sort of cars, and what shape they'd be in. Unlike Fukushima who's cars were modern, and mostly damaged by floods and earthquake damage, and Chernobyl where they were russian cars that nobody in his right mind wanted in the first place ... Varosha was a popular modern resort city, hip with american and european 'beautiful people'. The cars would have been the creme de la creme.
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Administrator

That's interesting, never heard of that. Learned something new, thanks professor.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:51 PM
same but different

I've never heard this either. Thanks for the read. The part "car dealership with 1974 cars" would have caught my attention too. Time capsule, who wouldn't like that?
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Interesting..................
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:42 AM

No photos of the car dealership. Too bad.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I read the article yesterday and thought the same thing. We can only hope that soon Turkey and Greece will reconcile, although there is a lot of bad blood between them that goes back a long time.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:36 AM

If you google it you'll find car dealer pics. I couldn't figure out what some were but did see a nice 74ish Toyota Celica (?) GT nose.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM

I hope it's a Citroen dealer. I'd love to see a mint DS