The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

what are your other hobbies guys?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:19 AM

I've had my 1964 442 since about brand new. Still enjoy giving her a cruz once in a while. Flying is the other money pit. Sorry been trying to post pictures, but haven't figured it out, go to my album if your interested

Have a great day all!

Sixtyfour
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Wow! Beautiful pieces Tedd

tru-blu, I've worked in Forestry for over 30 years and although it makes me look over my shoulder a lot bears and cougars aren't a huge threat. I've seen quite a few and almost all of them were running away as soon as they caught my scent. Now the wack job who's cooking meth out some logging road, or the cartels growing pot on remote public lands, those are the things that really scare me.

oldspackrat, can't get much better family time then getting the kiddo's away from video games and into the great outdoors.

redoldsman, my sister and brother-in-law raised their grandsons. I can't describe how much I admire what they and you are doing. Pouring ourselves into children who don't have the support from Dad will have such impacts in their future lives.

John
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
Wow , the kid issue is very sad . I have my hands full here , my son has ADHD and can be a REAL challenge at times to say the least . I would NEVER even think about being away from my two children .
I think I can relate. My son is all boy, and quite a hand full at that. He reminds me of me, when I was growing up. And all of my relatives say the same thing. Thay call it a "Mother's curse", everything we did to our mother's as we grew up will be done to us by our children. I never understood what my mother meant by the Mother's curse until I had my son. Now I know.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Last couple of years, I've started LARPing. Picture 50-100 guys and gals dressing up as anything from tavern maids to elves, dwarves, trolls, knights, etc ... then spending the day out in the woods, or around palisades, fortifications, etc ... and attacking each other using latex foam weapons .. everything from spears and swords, to foam tipped arrows and flails. The operator even had a flammin' propane powered cannon last year, firing out those 4" basket ***** you get at the dollar store. Took one of those right in the short ribs while trying to breach a gate ... took me a while to figure out why I was lying on my back, what the hell had hit me (fire time, I didn't even see the cannon until later after it had broke it's own wheels off) took me a lot longer before I ran into another doorway.

Now I've moved to more archery. It's amazing how many people go into battle wearing a breast plate .. and how few wear a codpiece. And I'm a really good shot.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:08 AM

I build airplanes (experimental and ultralight), woodworking (furniture mostly), play the piano to unwind....
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM

Don't know if it is a hobby or not but I was raised in construction and have remodeled my house twice plus built two large decks, two patios and two large retaining walls for our lower garden. Also help friends build decks, additions, and remodels. Used to collect old radios but gave them to a local radio museum when I got bored with the hobby. Other then that its working on my two Olds.
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:35 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
I collect old soda machines and gas station stuff. I have a passion for this stuff. I recently started collecting old tools, vices, presses, floor jacks, anything really old and really cool.

Cool collection of stuff!
i used to collect old soda and beer stuff. I lost most of mine when the ice maker in the upstairs fridge broke and flooded my basement man cave.
I only have one cooler and a wagon left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cooler 003.jpg (61.9 KB, 36 views)
xmasbrew 002.jpg (45.9 KB, 28 views)
xmasbrew 007.jpg (73.4 KB, 32 views)
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Oldsdruid

I fool with old tube audio equipment. Just recently bought a mid-50s Zenith tube TransOceanic which looks real nice but unfortunately don't work, so there's a challenge. Along with the old phonographs comes a need for something to play on them, so there's boxes of pre-1970 LPs and even a few shellac 78s.

I like just about anything old. I haunt antique and estate auctions and have way more useless stuff than anyone should be allowed to have! I think they call it "ephemera".

One recent auction find that went great with the old audio stuff was a collection (nearly 150) of 50s-70s classical LPs that the vinyl was about as nice as I've ever seen on discs from that era. Obvious their owner took great pride in her collection of music. Her name was Jane Howe from Manhattan NYC, and her estate made it to north-central North Carolina.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jfb
I am working on a giant model railroad in my basement and it too is almost finished. I have a un heated garage for the olds so super cold times are spent inside doing my Chicago gary Indiana railroad plus it is well detailed. I also go too a local model railroad swap meet and my overall costs for this are minimal. I stated earlier today that anything with thought process can be done cheaply and this also brings out my artistical side for the olds.
This 1:1 scale steam engine story is cool:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=9326586

Is the steam train used for Petticoat Junction still alive?
NAPA valley has a steam train, I believe.
There's one near Lansing but at $50 a ticket and in the fine print it may NOT net you a steam engine ride... I can't afford to take the family on that.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

You probably already guessed it- Italian and German scooters of the 60s to 90s. No Wal Mart plastic rides but solid, tunable 2-stroke engines in a metal outfit:

Foto0131.jpg

Additionally global admin of a forum with 40000+ members and 3.8+ million postings.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I do what the voices in my head tell me too.

I just stay busy playing with whatever entertains me at the moment. It could be my old Lionel trains from when I was a kid, toying with cars, home improvement, electronics, old tube radios, pin ball machines, or anything electro-mechanical.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM

I did woodworking years ago, hoping to get back into it. Raced RC cars (battery) & flew RC planes in early 2000's, still have all of the stuff stored away since moving in 2006. Now it's mostly the old "cutty" although winter has put a pause in that usually until late april. Dam Alberta weather!
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Firearms, and I own a catamaran, but don't use it much.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Shoveling Snow

Mine is making Oldsmobile stained glass/ automotive art glass. Link to my face book page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocke...s/250967782695
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Professur
Last couple of years, I've started LARPing. Picture 50-100 guys and gals dressing up as anything from tavern maids to elves, dwarves, trolls, knights, etc ... then spending the day out in the woods, or around palisades, fortifications, etc ... and attacking each other using latex foam weapons .. everything from spears and swords, to foam tipped arrows and flails. The operator even had a flammin' propane powered cannon last year, firing out those 4" basket ***** you get at the dollar store. Took one of those right in the short ribs while trying to breach a gate ... took me a while to figure out why I was lying on my back, what the hell had hit me (fire time, I didn't even see the cannon until later after it had broke it's own wheels off) took me a lot longer before I ran into another doorway.

Now I've moved to more archery. It's amazing how many people go into battle wearing a breast plate .. and how few wear a codpiece. And I'm a really good shot.
I used to LARP, but in Denmark it's 90% a children's hobby, so once I turned 18 or so I felt alienated in the scene. Not a lot of decent roleplaying going on anyway, just bashing with swords, and I'd been doing that so long it was boring. Fights were never as big as the one you describe, though. I still have my two mailles hanging around.

My parallel interest took over; WWII reenactment.

wcL3Y6X.jpg
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
What are the two back ones? I love the 80s Haro masters. I just sold the 88 Haro Master that I bought new. It had Peregrine Super Pros on it. I had an 87 Haro FST and got rid of it to get the Master. I was more into flatland than vert.
The one directly behind the Redline is an '86 GT Pro Freestyle Tour, all original (except the grips), just needs a light detailing and a new lower gyro cable.
The other one is my brothers old bike, an '87 GT Pro Performer with Haro Master (bashgard) forks. It has Super Pros on it, but calling them 'shot' is putting it mildly. LOL
It needs a ton of work (which = $$$$) to finish the whole bike so I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a set of correct forks for it and having it powder coated neon pink. Then using the f/f as a shelf queen.

I'm gonna finish the Redline and the '86 Gt and display them like My Hutch and Haro.
I was more of an 'average' overall rider. We had a huge halfpipe, but I could only muster up enough courage to break about 1 1/2' of air on it.

I hope you got a fair market price for that Master.
They are going for a pretty good amount in fair condition.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Seff
I used to LARP, but in Denmark it's 90% a children's hobby, so once I turned 18 or so I felt alienated in the scene. Not a lot of decent roleplaying going on anyway, just bashing with swords, and I'd been doing that so long it was boring. Fights were never as big as the one you describe, though. I still have my two mailles hanging around.

My parallel interest took over; WWII reenactment.

There's some that are more role playing .. the one I attend is all battle, all the time. I look at it like a more violent form of golf; as a pleasant walk through the woods interrupted by sudden bursts of violence .. 'cept that violence is directed at people instead of an innocent little white ball. One guy I go with has major issues and uses this as his rage outlet. We usually have to pull him out of the battle and hose him down about half way through .. maybe twice on hot days. Full plate and he's charging about like a madman.

The guy that runs it has a 3 week cycle. Gn de guerre (medieval war), a steampunk/western (more role playing, Nerf guns), and week 3 is modern military (airsoft, mandatory biodegradable pellets). I was considering trying the military one .. but the way the cops are going freakazoid at anything that even looks like a real gun ... I'm not sure I want to chance owning one. Bad enough the neighbours have seen me firing arrows at my kids. (if they could kill me, they got a later bed time .. hasn't happened yet tho.

A few of the guys from Gn de Guerre went to europe last year for the international live blade combat. Now that's nuts.

Last edited by Professur; January 14th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Sleep sleep sleep.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by midrange

I hope you got a fair market price for that Master.
They are going for a pretty good amount in fair condition.
I was only an average rider myself but i could do Boomerangs and the typical beginner stuff. My dad would not let me build a half pipe so that also helped me to do flatland. I got a little over $700 for my Master. It was in better than average condition but far from new.

It is funny that this is brought up because i just watched Rad about a month ago.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Live blades are cool. I got tired of the LARP battles because they were against kids, and very repetitious.

Airsoft is another thing I did a fair amount of. Nowadays I'm a soldier during the week, so I don't need to be a soldier during the weekend.
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Riding my bike and restoring my 52 GMC 9430 pick-up, and of course family!
Attached Images
100_2238.jpg (99.7 KB, 24 views)
100_0275.jpg (132.1 KB, 23 views)
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Our house was built in the 1830's, so getting it to our liking has been a project that has kept me pretty busy for the past 7+. We've also got 3 kids (8, 9 and 12) so that is non-stop action.

My hobby has been collecting pre-war baseball cards for the past 5+ years, but I sold off most of them to finance my recent vintage olds purchase. I kept just a few of my favorites -- images below.

Last edited by srs1a; January 15th, 2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: fat finger typing!
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM
jfb

hey guys i can see we are all talented in different areas and we stay busy congrajulations. I have read all posts and we like to stay busy that is the way it should be and it helps when older to stay that way. I am hoping as the weather gets warmer that all of us enjoy our rides. I stated that i use the olds for everything in the warmer times or 3 seasons. I have been a diehard about older cars with a healthy respect for them and believe that if gas stays low we should use them daily and show the world how much class we all have, and race them on the track and show them also. I always liked the fact that our cars and hobbies created other avenues and experiences for the positive and kept our babies alive and parts avenues open. I hope that this continues on oldsmobiles are to beautiful and classy to be lost in the bs out there. jfb.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Faster Horses
Younger Women
Older Whiskey
and
More Money
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Definitely some cool, unusual, and talented hobbies and people here.
As a student, I don't have a ton of free time to devote. Once I have the Cutlass here, that will be where the majority of my free time is spent.
I dabble though - used to BMX, but now ride a fixed gear bike which I had built up. Used to be a bicycle wheelsmith. I do a lot of reading, but most of it is for work/school. I definitely love my craft beer. My father brews, so I try to check out different local/semi-local beers to give my dad the rundown on what is available out here on the east coast/down south. Quite a different variety of beer from what the midwest has to offer.
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Slot Cars

Guys:
Slot Cars, do you remember them from back in the day? I design, build and sell them thru the hobby shops across the country. The ones I sell are not your granfathers slot car though, these are designed on my Auto Cad system and machined w/ either EDM or Laser cutters. My buddies and I travel across the country and race against other guys and sometimes racers from Europe come to the larger races as well. Our company has won numerous National Championships and North American Championships, not me though. I am smart enough to surround myself w/ great team drivers that make my product line look good. If any of you guys need CAD work done, I can do it for you for a really low fee to help out fellow CO members w/ their projects.
Thanks Ron
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:05 AM
major noob

Besides learning about olds and building my car I do some painting I'll post a pic of my dads hood I did and I'm a techy guy
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:09 AM
major noob

IMG_20130621_132804_zps8umiupql.jpg
Wrong kind of paint but it turned out pretty sweet really.
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Professional engine builder is my business. Hobbie, counting money.
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I used to race rc cars but it gets expensive. I also used to skateboard but 10 years if doing that has taken its toll on my body @ 25. In the winter my hobby is to collect parts for future builds , and do work around the house, work on my dads car at his shop which is somewhat heated . The car hobby for me never stops in the winter I keep actively busy in the car stuff and since I work on cars all day I get my fix for wrenching on the daily. Not a day goes by I don't miss stepping on that skateboard but my knees just cant take it anymore.

Ulises kickflip loading dock - YouTube

Ulises Frontboard 7 - YouTube
Copper, is this you?
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:19 PM

What a great thread! I really like learning more about my CO friends!
This isn't really a hobby, it's my profession. I'm a sculptor and an art teacher. Before I found my Cutlass I was working on a series of sculptures based on classic literature. This is The War of the World: Big Boys and Their Tinker Toys. The copper bullet points represent documented nuclear missile sites across the globe. It's Cherry and copper and measures about 40x38x38"

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the others if you're interested:
www.studio407.net/recent_work.htm
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Yes mac. That's me in the youtube links
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Originally Posted by Macadoo
What a great thread! I really like learning more about my CO friends!
This isn't really a hobby, it's my profession. I'm a sculptor and an art teacher. Before I found my Cutlass I was working on a series of sculptures based on classic literature. This is The War of the World: Big Boys and Their Tinker Toys. The copper bullet points represent documented nuclear missile sites across the globe. It's Cherry and copper and measures about 40x38x38"

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the others if you're interested:
www.studio407.net/recent_work.htm
That is phenomenal. I would LOVE to go back to school and take art history classes as well as take other classes to end up teaching art in elementary or middle school. Those were some of my favorite, and more memorable, classes when I was that age.
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by molasses4masses
That is phenomenal. I would LOVE to go back to school and take art history classes as well as take other classes to end up teaching art in elementary or middle school. Those were some of my favorite, and more memorable, classes when I was that age.
Middle school? Bubbling hormones! Lol. Why not do it? Do you have a local Comm College around with night classes? Art is so much more than pretty pictures. It teaches students to think critically and become creative problem solvers. Something that can be used in all walks of life.

As far as hobbies go, I'm also into home theater. I've been working on our basement theater for about five years, on and off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The projector is an old InFocus I got off eBay for peanuts. It was broken but an easy enough fix.
Old January 20th, 2014, 03:30 PM

When I was in college, I had a radio show. I had met a local record collector and used a lot of his stuff, which was classic garage/psych/progressive/underground music. If you're a Boomer, I probably know about some of the music you grew up with, including local stuff.

Here's a selection of some popular-but-forgotten groups and some ultra-rarities:

(for the Iron Maiden fans)

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Lol, that's awesome Diego. I had my Blue Cheer album out the other day in the shop. I'll admit, it wasn't how I remembered. Sometimes you just can't go back.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:48 PM

I'm assuming you were listening to Vincebus Eruptum?

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:51 PM

my other hobbies would be coin collecting and woodworking! kind of opposites in a way
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:34 PM
GM Enthusiast

My other hobby when not working on cars and playing with my kids is playing tennis. I play competitive singles at a 4.0 level and usually play 2-4 times a week.
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:03 PM

Outside of the 2 Cutlasses, the other hobbies include Graduate School (working on an MBA), lots of golf, and softball.

Quick Reply: what are your other hobbies guys?