The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Why street racing is a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Why street racing is a bad idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3...&feature=share

Accident happens less than 6 seconds after they leave the light so speeds cannot be that high. Not sure how the C5 driver got so twisted in these days of traction control and ABS. C6 driver should have simply let off and tapped the brakes and there would be no paint swapped. Too much testosterone to back off I guess, silly chevy drivers...
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by hookem horns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3...&feature=share

Accident happens less than 6 seconds after they leave the light so speeds cannot be that high. Not sure how the C5 driver got so twisted in these days of traction control and ABS. C6 driver should have simply let off and tapped the brakes and there would be no paint swapped. Too much testosterone to back off I guess, silly chevy drivers...
simple , the guy cant drive! I use to slide sideways down the block for fun with my 68 Roadrunner with the 410 posi rear , almost lost it a few times , but its easy to recover from

Last edited by oldsguybry; November 30th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Administrator

More income than brains!!!!
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Money can't buy common sense.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Control, Control, you must learn control.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
CQR

Use the force Luke!
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM

I wish the guy recording kept it running...I would have liked to see the damage...lol
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Money does not make you a driver... I have gotten more bent out of shape in my drive way.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
I wish the guy recording kept it running...I would have liked to see the damage...lol
From what I have read the C6 sustained considerable damage after hitting a tree(s) and he was some young rich kid. The C5 had minor damage and reportedly had over 600 horsepower. Also read that there are warrants out for both of their arrests and that the C5 driver is also wanted in connection with some kind of online parts scam deal.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM

I'm not sure which was harder to stomach about that video - the idiots who couldn't drive or the idiot who recorded it chewing his gum with his mouth open......
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Super442s
I'm not sure which was harder to stomach about that video - the idiots who couldn't drive or the idiot who recorded it chewing his gum with his mouth open......
Aaaahhh but the real question is .... did the gum stay in his mouth????
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Not sure how the C5 driver got so twisted in these days of traction control and ABS.
If I was racing I'd turn the control off. As soon as the system detects wheel spin it starts braking the wheel spinning faster, ultimately slowing you down

Last edited by allyolds68; November 30th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Did he get pushed outta shape and it was hard to steer...?
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM

F'n Rookies!!
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have gotten my self into a few tight spots. It's the risk you take when you mess with hp. You can only fight physics for so long before it bites you in the ***. These guys where just plain stupid small tight street that was winding just to name a few. I have had my share of street battles but usually much more open and secluded. Im just not a big fan of street racing alot of my friends are and alot of them have got caught I'll save the money i dont spend on fines and spend it on getting a lower e.t.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM

They are both lucky to tell about it and the trees stopped that one.
Not to far from me on Tuesday, a 16 year old boy died in his new beemer when racing another beemer at almost 100mph on a road with a 45 limit. He jumped the median into oncoming traffic. 6 cars were involved and 4 people were sent to the hospital. The other racer got away.
I think all these rich snobby kids need eco-bubble cars until they prove themselves capable of handling a lot of HP...

Yes, the gum chewing was nasty. -100 internets to the camera operator.
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:05 PM

This wreck happen 3 miles from my house. The guy who lives next door knows both the guys. They are going to have hell. Trying to collect insurance on these cars. With it being on youtube. Some of the stupidess things i ever seen. You can see the plates for god sakes.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:26 AM

Lol, i agree with the first response, these guys dont know the first thing about driving. Its funny, i had this convo with my brother the other day, he said he's not sure if he'd ever want a muscle car cause his Scion TC has gotten loose on him a couple times, i replied with "well i know how a car responds to certain adjustments, i know physics will never change, and i know not to push harder than what i feel my skills can handle. Besides, between us we've totaled 3 cars, and three of those were you" hahaha. I still dont see how you wreck cars with so many safety features built into them. I like the older cars because these "safety features" just get in my way haha.

PS: How much you wanna bet these guys both had brand new Vettes a week later?...rich people -_-' haha
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM

I feel like we need a much harder, more involved, and way more serious driving test here in the US. There are way too many people out there who have no business behind the wheel of a car. Either the test needs to be way longer and more tedious, or else it needs to be harder to weed out the folks who just shouldnt be driving in the first place

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
They are both lucky to tell about it and the trees stopped that one.
Not to far from me on Tuesday, a 16 year old boy died in his new beemer when racing another beemer at almost 100mph on a road with a 45 limit. He jumped the median into oncoming traffic. 6 cars were involved and 4 people were sent to the hospital. The other racer got away.
I think all these rich snobby kids need eco-bubble cars until they prove themselves capable of handling a lot of HP...

Yes, the gum chewing was nasty. -100 internets to the camera operator.
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

In Illinois the largest concentration of bad drivers are in the Secretary of State (DMV) parking lots.
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:23 AM

Update. Both drivers have been charged. With racing on a highway
causing bodily harm. Now that's a couple of smart cookies there.

Last edited by OLDSMORAT; December 1st, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:48 AM

If they are with State Farm, they are SOL on insurance money. They have a clause stating they will not pay if there was racing of any sort involved. With it on video, who can claim there was not?

Cameras - don't leave home without one...

Originally Posted by Vega
I feel like we need a much harder, more involved, and way more serious driving test here in the US. There are way too many people out there who have no business behind the wheel of a car. Either the test needs to be way longer and more tedious, or else it needs to be harder to weed out the folks who just shouldnt be driving in the first place
We need an IQ test as part of the driver test. If their IQ is smaller than their hat size, they should not be allowed on the road! I think doing just this will eliminate a lot of bad drivers...
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by Vega
I totally agree. I've also always thought that driving instruction in the snow states should include some sort of empty parking lot, a few inches of snow and donuts. When I was 16 in Chicago we used to hit the parking lots all the time not just for fun, but to get the hang of driving sideways. If the first time you've ever gone sideways in a car is while doing 45mph down Cicero avenue with a red light and stopped cars in front of you...well, that's just too late. Instinct will not get you out of that jam...only experience will.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kpl70sx
When I was 16 in Chicago we used to hit the parking lots all the time not just for fun, but to get the hang of driving sideways.
When you were 16? Heck, I'm almost 50, and I still do it, every year!

Skills that aren't used get lost, so any chance I get at an empty icy parking lot, I take at least a couple of passes (with the traction control ON and OFF, if I'm in a newer car).

Heck, "back in the day" when I used to drive an ambulance, we would take that out to a parking lot if it snowed and do a few doughnuts - It's no fun losing control of a 10,000 pound vehicle, especially at high speed when going through a red light!

- Eric
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM

I totally agree. I've also always thought that driving instruction in the snow states should include some sort of empty parking lot, a few inches of snow and donuts. When I was 16 in Chicago we used to hit the parking lots all the time not just for fun, but to get the hang of driving sideways. If the first time you've ever gone sideways in a car is while doing 45mph down Cicero avenue with a red light and stopped cars in front of you...well, that's just too late. Instinct will not get you out of that jam...only experience will.
That;t what I do with myself and my kids every first snow - make sure they remember what its like to skid in snow. Actually my daughter is 16, much tougher to get a license, not only do they need 50 hours of driving they can't get there license any sooner than 9 months after they get their permit, kind of a good thing as it makes sure they get through a few different seasons of driving with parents in the car.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:55 PM

45 on Cicero is suicide anywhere - from Peotone to where it turns into Skokie Hwgy, there's just too much traffic!

When I was a teen, if the cops caught you racing, the looser got the ticket!
But that was when there was about 20% of the traffic there is now!
Women and old ladies took busses!
Remember going from a 20 roll on the Kennedy X-way, on a Saturday afternoon - only passed about 15 cars to a buck!

That's why I said "f'n rookies"! But now I know better, and just try to cut .000 lights at every 'tree'!!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM

Those who want practice driving on slick surfaces can always visit their local go-cart track. Often they have glazed tracks with the carts on hard slicks. Sure, not the same as the car but the techniques are similar. Teaches you how to stay in control, driving sideways, throttling into and out of turns, steering out of skids, going and slowing, and most of all, experiencing the sensation of loosing control without major consequences. I raced a bunch of guys on one of those tracks and actually came in first place the first pass. Lots of fun driving and the crashes were fun, too (except waiting for the messes to be cleaned up)........
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Funny story . I was driving my car to work one day and I caught a state trooper at the light it was 6 am streets where clear he looks at me and gives me the u wanna race hand gesture. I of course shook my head and said yes. I let him take the hit and get out about 4 cars and then I let him have it . I pulled into the gas station to get a coffee so did he . He asked what's it got. We talked cars for about 10 minutes I showed him what I had. Probably one of the coolest things that ever happen to me.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:32 AM

as long as I can remember I have been told half the vets were wrecked doing the same thing . Boy's will be Boy's
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:19 PM

i'm glad tho's two dumb asses are off of the street, they're making texas look bad

Last edited by WolfmanG; December 28th, 2011 at 09:32 PM.