The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

You know the saying “ASSUMING” makes an ass of you and me???

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2023, 09:04 AM

You know the saying “ASSUMING” makes an *** of you and me???

My nephew works lawn maintenance at a golf course here in town. I needed a bunch of dirt to fill in a hole. I ASSUMED since he worked with trucks, trailers, and lawn equipment he was familiar with trailer couplers and safety chains. 🙄

Can you see where this is going?

I back my truck to the trailer, he connects it. He drives the John Deere tractor with the hydraulic bed full of dirt onto the trailer, strap it down and hit the road. It’s only 2 miles from the golf course to my house, we make it bout 1/4 mile before the trailer comes off the ball. I’m watching the trailer roll down the street heading for the only parked car within eyesight. I quickly steer the truck into the path of the trailer and get it stopped literally feet away from the parked car. No damage to anyone's property, my truck unfortunately takes all the impact.

Im normally meticulous about the coupler. I’m picky with the safety chains, lighting, and tying the load down. Not this time. This time I was stupid and careless, I assumed my nephew knew what he was doing.

This could have been MUCH worse, I was lucky I was in a position to use my truck to stop the trailer.

Learn from my stupidity, if the equipment is connected to your vehicle make SURE it’s done right.

Old December 9th, 2023, 10:21 AM

OUCH! I'm glad no one was hurt. Thanks for the reminder!
Old December 9th, 2023, 10:27 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Sorry to see that and glad you posted to let us learn from your misfortune.
Old December 9th, 2023, 10:46 AM

That's a bummer. At least you were able to prevent a big insurance hassle.
Old December 9th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Sorry to see that happen. Did your nephew learn anything?
Old December 9th, 2023, 02:09 PM

Sorry that happened Matt.

Hopefully your nephew is not too bummed out over this. Sometimes we dwell on mistakes to the point that they eat away at us.

To err is human.
Old December 9th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Sorry that happened Matt.

Hopefully your nephew is not too bummed out over this. Sometimes we dwell on mistakes to the point that they eat away at us.

To err is human.
He is pretty bummed, as soon as I saw the trailer going a different direction than the truck he yelled “I forgot the chains!”

Im furious with myself for not checking them for myself.
Old December 9th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Sorry to see that happen. Did your nephew learn anything?

We both learned painful lessons.
Old December 9th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Art S

Ohhh wow that sucks! Never send a boy to do......comes to mind. At least no one got hurt.
From the look of the damage maybe you could claim to the insurance company that a deep hit you.
Old December 10th, 2023, 03:48 AM
Banned

That sucks but yeah amen on Never pulling a trailer that You have not checked. I wouldn't be so mad at your nephew. I bet you are mad at yourself for not checking. Bet you will always from here on. Glad everyone is okay.
Old December 12th, 2023, 01:49 PM

Dare I ask, nephew by blood or marriage?
Old December 12th, 2023, 04:12 PM

My brothers son. He really is a good kid, he brought a check over to cover my deductible.

I got some estimates yesterday, about 4K in damage. I didn’t notice the trailer also hit the wheel and gouged it all to hell.

As bad as my nephew feels, I’m far angrier with myself. This was a painful lesson, one I SHOULD have learned many years ago.

About 10 years ago, I installed a jacuzzi tub in our upstairs bathroom. At the time I had pinched nerves in my back, there was no way I was crawling around in my attic to run the wiring. I figured this would be the ideal task for my nephew, he was much smaller, younger, and leaner than myself.

It was about this time I learned common sense isn’t necessarily common. 😡

I cut several pieces of scrap plywood into strips. My plan was for my nephew to lay them out across the ceiling joists, to kinda create a floor to walk along.

Remember what I said about common sense? 🙄

It occurred to me I didn’t tell him what the plywood was for. That became apparent when he stepped thru my ceiling. As I handed him the plywood planks, I ASSUMED he was laying them out to walk on. Nope, he just stacked them up.

Moral of the story: don’t assume anything, and check everything.
Old December 12th, 2023, 08:11 PM

I learned, painfully, that ones does not walk bent over across rafters. Threw the crap out of my back. I use kneepads and gloves and crawl now. I can hit rafters in the blown in insulation, boards only needed when I sit down.
Old December 13th, 2023, 04:50 AM

I still do stupid **** myself. I've been working construction for almost 40 years and I've hooked up and towed hundreds of trailers. Twice in the last ten years I put a 2-5/16" trailer on a 2" ball (both mine and they were two different trailers). The first time it didn't come off, the second time it cost me a tailgate and bumper
Old December 13th, 2023, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I still do stupid **** myself. I've been working construction for almost 40 years and I've hooked up and towed hundreds of trailers. Twice in the last ten years I put a 2-5/16" trailer on a 2" ball (both mine and they were two different trailers). The first time it didn't come off, the second time it cost me a tailgate and bumper
My Dad did that years ago too. But he did it at a boat ramp. Needless to say, it popped off the hitch as soon as he got into the truck and both trailer and boat rolled right on back into the water. Since I was 15 and stupid, I made the mistake of laughing. That meant that for the next 30 minutes I got to crawl around in cold river water retrieving and dragging the trailer back up the ramp while he sat in the boat drinking beer and laughing at me.

Before anyone comments, no I'm not Hercules. As soon as I got it at least back on the ramp, I ran the trailer's tow cable to his truck and let that pull the trailer all the way up and out. I was 15 and stupid, but not a complete moron.
Old December 18th, 2023, 07:33 AM

At work, we have a little double axle utility trailer with a hydraulic power pack on it. It is light on the tongue and uses one of the screw down couplers. I thought i had it tight, but I think it was in a bind when I tightened it down. I was backing up and it it came loose, rolled down a hill an into a big muddy ditch, all in front of our control tower and all of my bosses.....

No harm no foul, But I got a literal round of applause when i went upstairs to explain myself.

Never again will I not check
Old December 18th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Banned

Kind of ironic. We finished up a bathroom remodel Friday. I hooked up the trailer and thought about this post as we got ready to leave. I said wait let me check. I didn't hook up the chains. Sure enough I hadn't. I ended up talking to the homeowner and got sidetracked while I was hooking up the trailer.

This thread has much worth.
Old December 30th, 2023, 01:07 PM

What kind of car were you trying to protect ?
Old December 30th, 2023, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by rectifier
What kind of car were you trying to protect ?

Buick SUV, I don’t know the late model buick stuff.
Old December 31st, 2023, 07:56 AM

Only curious is all.My hat is off to you for protecting something that was not yours,and that is substantial damage to your truck.
As a bodyshop owner I work on a fair amount of damaged vehicles that the other party is at fault,or worse yet leaves the scene.