1968 Cutlass S Convertible transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2020, 12:49 AM

1968 Cutlass S Convertible transmission

I have the 2sp automatic. I had the clutches replaced about 2 years ago (I rarely drive the car... Once or twice per month). Had been checking the fluid levels regularly. Car sat in my Midwest garage for about 6+ months. The other day I checked the tranny fluid and it's at the low side of the dipstick line. Is that the normal depletion rate? There are no large amounts of tranny fluid under the car in the garage.

Can I add tranny fluid myself to top it off without having to raise the car up?
Old June 9th, 2020, 03:26 AM

The ATF needs to be checked when car has been driven and it warmed up. It may show low until warm and circulated. You can add fluid thru the trans dipstick tube,
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
The ATF needs to be checked when car has been driven and it warmed up. It may show low until warm and circulated. You can add fluid thru the trans dipstick tube,
I let it warm up for about 5 mins then drove about 1mile to the gas station where I checked it. It was about 90° outside that day. Do you think I gave it enough time to get an accurate fluid level read on it?

Also, is there any particular thing I need to look for with replacement fluid?
Old June 9th, 2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lyle_STL
I let it warm up for about 5 mins then drove about 1mile to the gas station where I checked it. It was about 90° outside that day. Do you think I gave it enough time to get an accurate fluid level read on it?

I would warm it up for at least 10 minutes, but it wouldn't make too much difference. You also check the fluid level while in park and with the engine running. Is that how you checked it?

Also, as far as fluid level is concerned, replacement fluid will show the level just like original fluid. I'm sure that, performance-wise, you could find a cheap fluid that is bad enough that it will damage your trans over time. I'd stick with well-known brands and stay with fluid types that are recommended for the vehicle.

Last edited by 69 Ragtop; June 9th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old June 9th, 2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lyle_STL
Look for Dexron on the label. I think the last bottles I bought were labeled Dexron/Mercon.
over the years I have used everything from major brand names such as Valvoline, Mobil, etc to store brands from Wal Mart and auto parts stores.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Look for Dexron on the label. I think the last bottles I bought were labeled Dexron/Mercon.
over the years I have used everything from major brand names such as Valvoline, Mobil, etc to store brands from Wal Mart and auto parts stores.
This is good advice. A friend of mine who is in the business uses the Walmart brand of Dextron/Mercon with great success. I'm sure Walmart's product is manufactured in the same plant as some big name product, and is probably the same formulation. You just have to be aware that there could be off-shore manufacturers that aren't so careful with their quality. Buying the "Podunk" brand at "Odd Ball's Auto Infirmary" is probably not a good idea.
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
I would warm it up for at least 10 minutes, but it wouldn't make too much difference. You also check the fluid level while in park and with the engine running. Is that how you checked it?

Also, as far as fluid level is concerned, replacement fluid will show the level just like original fluid. I'm sure that, performance-wise, you could find a cheap fluid that is bad enough that it will damage your trans over time. I'd stick with well-known brands and stay with fluid types that are recommended for the vehicle.
Yes. That's how I checked it.
Thank you.
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 69 Ragtop
This is good advice. A friend of mine who is in the business uses the Walmart brand of Dextron/Mercon with great success. I'm sure Walmart's product is manufactured in the same plant as some big name product, and is probably the same formulation. You just have to be aware that there could be off-shore manufacturers that aren't so careful with their quality. Buying the "Podunk" brand at "Odd Ball's Auto Infirmary" is probably not a good idea.
Thank you!
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Got it. Thank you!