1995 Olds Cutlas Supreme master power window switch

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM

1995 Olds Cutlas Supreme master power window switch

Hi is there a reasonable replacement master power window switch out there? My daughter's boyfriend is looking for one. Where can he find a replacement? None of his windows work, and the A/C doesn't work either. He is a college kid, not much money.
Thanks for any advice in advance
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM

Before replacing it check the wiring in the door jamb they get brittle & break.I have also soaked the switches over night in vinegar & worked them the vinegar has enough acid in it to clean the contacts & you have nothing to lose larry@vintageozarks.com
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM

You can also try cleaning the switch with electrical parts cleaner. Disassemble it and spray it really good. Then clean it with a small acid brush. Hopefully that helps.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

First, check and see if you have a blown fuse. (kind of doubt it though because in 95 the windows ran through a circuit breaker).

Can the windows be operated by any of the other door switches? The rear windows in my 98 had the same problem with not rolling down. Just like OZONEBLUE says, check for broken wiring first.

The most common location for broken wires is in the door boot on the drivers door. There's a couple of ways you can do this. One is to take the inside door panel off and pull the wires back through the door so you can slide the boot back and spot the damage.

The second is really easy and only you have to know it's there. Just slice the boot open (lengthwise) and expose the wiring. Be careful not to slice any of the wires inside. My mechanic told me about this and he was right. It's easy, fast and effective. If there's broken wires, you WILL see them. Easy fix. Then if you want, just rotate the boot so the slice is on the bottom where moisture will drain away. Or you can tape back over it. Your call because the wires have their own plastic coated shielding to protect them against the weather.

99.9% of the time it's broken wires. Do this first and see if anything happens. It's REALLY unusual for all the windows not to work. Did this happen all at once or one by one?

If you get no results, it could be your master switch. All power routes through it. 95 should also have express down on the drivers window, and a power lockout for the other doors. You should be able to get a replacement master switch from the wrecker for about 5 bucks. Don't go to GM for it unless you want to pay a hell of a lot more.