Carburetors

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Carburetors

Im looking for a carburetor (2bbl) for my 85 oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham what kind of brand would u recommend? and where can i find it?
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CARTOON
Im looking for a carburetor (2bbl) for my 85 oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham what kind of brand would u recommend? and where can i find it?
What engine, what intake manifold, and do you want original replacement or performance upgrade? Also, are you subject to emissions testing where you live? If so, this will restrict your choices.
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Its A V6 3.8l And I Just Had The Whole Engine Rebuild On It
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK, that answered the first question I asked. How about the rest of them? The sooner you answer all of them, the sooner we can help you.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What engine, what intake manifold, and do you want original replacement or performance upgrade? Also, are you subject to emissions testing where you live? If so, this will restrict your choices.
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Intake Manifold I Cant Really Say I Mean Im Not A Car Guy Really I Just Want To Fix This Car And I Want Original Replacement And No Over Here There Is No Emissions Testing
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Moment

perhaps the shop that did the rebuild can spec one out for you. They should have all the info.....
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Intake Manifold I Cant Really Say I Mean Im Not A Car Guy Really I Just Want To Fix This Car And I Want Original Replacement And No Over Here There Is No Emissions Testing
Sorry to belabor this, but just so I'm clear, you have an 85 Cutlass with the V6. You've just had the engine rebuilt, presumably to stock specs, and now you need a replacement carb, correct?

Is there something wrong with the original carb, or is it too far gone to rebuild?

This particular engine used the computer controlled DualJet carb, which is really the front half of the four barrel Quadrajet used on the V8. The carb has an electric solenoid that pulses tapered metering rods up and down at the command of the computer to adjust the amount of gas flowing into the engine to minimize emissions while improving economy.

Assuming the car is otherwise stock and you still have the computer system in place, the only thing that will work is a new or rebuilt exact replacement. This carb has a throttle position sensor that is required by the computer to operate properly so you must install an equivalent carb or be prepared to perform major modifications.

Have you been having difficulty finding a replacement carb? Rebuilt replacements should be readily available from all auto parts stores. Here's one example that I found from Partsamerica.com (the online branch of Advanced Auto Parts):

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...ype=26&PTSet=A

The heart-stopping price is why I recommend rebuilding the original if possible - the rebuild kit is about $40.

The bigger problem is finding a mechanic who can properly set this carb up once it's bolted to the engine. There is a very specific procedure for adjustment detailed in the Factory Service Manual. This process MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY. You cannot simply bolt on a rebuilt carb and expect the car to run properly. In addition, the computer is very sensitive to proper connection of the miles of vacuum hose on the engine, as well as the proper functioning of the various electronic sensors and actuators. A problem with any one of these may feel like a carb problem but it is not. It took me a month of weekends to get the electronic carb on my 86 sorted out correctly (mainly for the self-education) but now it runs great.