Exterior Resotration Timee

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Exterior Resotration Timee

So after our recent typhoon, things have gotten even worse rust wise on the Cutty. The wind pulled off some of the paint that was bubbling anyways and there is now fresh rust on top of old rust, plus the chrome is rusting worse (I live 50ft from the ocean.) It's mostly surface, but I don't think that statement will be true much longer.

So I'm going to start getting everything together I need to paint and fix body work soon. I would like to get it in the shop with in a couple of months. Then yen rate is terrible right now and it's probably going to cost $3k-$5k to paint it, pull dents, and sand and stuff. Can you guys give me hints and tips on some stuff I'm probably going to run in to and stuff I should make them pay attention too? Also, where can I get stuff like the vinyl top (landua?), and do I even need it? Could I just have them repair the inevitable damage beneath that top and paint it like the rest of the car? Kieth has already pointed out some crunchy bulges under the back/bottom of the vinyl top. Also, if the bumpers are not fixable, can one find replacements? Shipping would be terrible since it can't go USPS, but I'll do what I must.

Here are some pics of the worst spots (pre-typhoon)

IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
IMG_1723.jpg
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg

I really appreciate all the help and advice guys! This is probably the most helpful car board I have ever been on, and I have been on a lot. From Skylines to Jeeps to Suzuki Jimny (Samurai's) this community seems to be the most friendly and very knowledgeable so thanks in advance!
Old August 6th, 2011, 04:56 PM

This is after the typhoon. Does anybody know what this color is called and/or the formulation for it? I'm going to have it painted the stock color. It still looks really nice under the trunk lid.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Last edited by SkylinesSuck; August 6th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
this is not my car lol

my girlfriend is from Okinawa & i plan to someday retire there with my cutlass'

i was hoping to be the only Olds on the island, but looks like you beat me to it!

where are you from? shes from Naha-shi

the typhoons ruin everything there!!

(sorry if i hijacked your thread!)
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:38 PM

I'm originally from Cleveland, but work at Naha Airport. Sorry I beat you to it, but look at it this way; when you get here we can be the founding members of the Oldsmobile Club of Okinawa
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM

I am sure that the island is much better than when I lived there '68-71 in Naha. Also have a client who teaches in the north. Good to have you.