Factory Tach Gauges - What Is Involved - What Do I Need To Do?

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM

Question Factory Tach Gauges - What Is Involved - What Do I Need To Do?

My wife and I picked up a very clean and nice '86 Cutlass last year that was an insurance write off. It has the 442 style front end and the only reason that the insurance company wrote it off was because the replacement parts were apparently very pricey. So, the car can be repaired as there is no frame or structural damage aside from the bumper, header and one grille half and the passenger's fender. Only those pieces on the passenger's corner are messed up and I have the ability to repair the car properly and repaint it.

It belonged to an elderly couple and it looks like the proverbial "little old lady's car" because aside from the afore mentioned damage, the car was mint.

I am considering adding some factory options such as factory tach and gauges ( is this called a rally pack or what is the correct term for the full gauge package? ), power seats ( I already have a driver's power set up from a donor car that I just finished stripping out ) and maybe even power windows. It already has rally wheels, factory air conditioning, tilt column and cruise. Has anyone ever had experience installing a factory tach and gauge cluster in a car that didn't have it and if so, do I need to change the wiring harness or what all is invloved. If the entire harness needs to be changed then I will pass on the tach but if it is fairly simple, then I'll give it a go but I need to know what all is needed for the conversion. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Respectfully, Gary
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Past Administrator

Gary, I would be you would not have to change the harness. It was probably more efficient to use just one harness in production and then not use the items that were un-ordered options.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Changing to the ralley pack is fairly simple. It is almost, "plug-n-play." The wiring should all be there. Hardest parts are, the oil and temp sensors have to be changed in the block, and you will need to find where they hid the wire that goes to the distributor for the tach. And make sure tach from the "donor" car has the ecm hookup at the back of the cluster. Need any more info, let us know. Jim.
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Howdy,

Someone with some time on their hands and a nice digital camera was nice enough to post instructions and pictures just for the project you describe. Check it out here: http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_rallye_swap.php

The tech pages also have a section on how to remove the instrument panel.
http://tech.oldsgmail.com/ch_eint.php

Mister.