hey i'm new! might buy a F85 have some questions

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM

hey i'm new! might buy a F85 have some questions

hey guys! My name is justin. I'm new.
I'm thinking of picking up a 1964 cutlass. I have some general questions about these cars, so please bear with me.

I'm not new to cars at all, i'm a little unfamiliar with oldsmobiles, but not too bad... i did have an olds 455 in my old trans am, and i worked on that alot...

ok so this cutlass i'm looking to get says it has a 327 and a powerglide... i'm ASSuming that the owner means it has a 330 and whatever olds' 2 speed was.

now for rear ends... do these have the typical BOP style 10 bolt?
Do these year cutlass use coils in the rear or leaf springs? My 72 chevelle had coils...

Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm looking to check out the car today and I would like to educate myself some before really going any further.

Also, do the older olds motors have any known trouble areas? i know the 403 has windowed mains.... but the 403 is the only olds motor i've really heard is junk (in comparason to other olds motors to be built, I'M NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE, ITS JUST MY OPINION.)
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM

The 64 should have a 330 if its a v-8....2 speed trans was not a powerglide but an Olds turbine 300...its an ok trans. The rear would be a BOP 10 bolt...any small block olds will bolt right up should ya want to swap that 330 but its a good engine with a forged crank. A big block even a 455 will fit too. Ive done that swap with a turbo 400 trans. Hardest part to find on the 64 is the wheelwell moldings. If its a plane jane f-85 it wont have em. The 403 is not junk just weaker because of trhe widowed mains.eet...nothing to worry about on the street.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM

yeah i finally got ahold of the guy, it is a 330... with a 4bbl...

however it looks like someone else is on their way to ****** the car before i can get a chance...

330 has a forged crank?? is it a shorter stroke than say a 350 rocket? are parts interchangable? what size are the combustion chambers? i know that certain casting numbers of the 350 rocket has very small combustion chambers (high comp! yeah!).

is the 2 speed worth keeping (assuming i get the car) or should i just swap in a BOP TH350/400?? I mean from a reliability standpoint as i'm going to be driving the car like how it was meant to be driven (hard).

Sorry for all the noobish questions again... I do know better, and i have been reading the forums. I have a strong ford backround, so if any of you guys need help with fords let me know. I know chevys pretty well too... but not like i know fords, and TOYOTAS and NISSANS.

ohh and the reason i said 403s are junk is because windowed mains + high rpm
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM

330's, 350's, and 403's all have the same stroke, it is the bore that is different. Yes, 330's had steel cranks. The 330's have something like a 60 cc chamber and most early 350's, up to 72, had 64 cc. If you are going to run a high horse or high torque(455) engine, a turbo 350would be the minimum I would go with. You can put the 330 crank in other small blocks but you have to use the 330 flywheel also because it has a different bolt pattern. Hope this helps and good luck with the car!
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM

wow! thanks!!

hey if anyone wants to jump on this before me (still waiting on my other car to sell... lady said she was coming today)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/228314104.html

Thats the one i'm trying to get