just got a 69 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM

just got a 69 cutlass

hey just purchased a 69 olds cutlass s today, planning to restore in the near future, gots original 350 rocket with 90,000 miles and runs really good.needs body work, paid 1000$

I took the vin down and wondering if someone could tell me a few things about it

69 33677 0S 5561 30 333 5353 5B C50 M31

Thanks
will post some pics later
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM

welcome to the sit. There are a lot of 69er's here. Someone will chime in to help you out
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I believe you're reading the cowl tag. The vin is on the front of the dash at the drivers side. I'm out of town and don't have my books with me. But I can help you out if someone doesn't beat me to it in 10 min or less.

Obviously, I love 69
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM

its 3367791149424

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Smile

From the cowl tag:
69 = 1969
33677 = Oldsmobile Cutlass V8 2 door club coupe
OS = Oshawa Ontario Canada Assembly Plant (the cowl tag presumably says Made in Canada at the top)
5561 = unit number (was this preceded by a couple of zeros?)
30 = this should be interior trim color/type and have a 3rd digit--like 930 (black vinyl buckets)
5353 = lower/upper body paint code (Nassau Blue)
5B = build date code (probably 05B = 2nd week in May)
C50/M31 = option codes
C50 = rear window defogger
M31 isn't in my book (cars and parts series) M38 (TH350) maybe?

The VIN decodes the same way
33677 as above
9 = 1969
11 = Oshawa assembly
49424 = sequential production number
Hope this helps.
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM

thanks alot, I was looking and the m31 means it has a jetaway trans.
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the site 1k, sounds like you got a good buy
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Past Administrator

Happy to have you with us.
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
olds..older..oldest

Sounds like you got a great deal...even better if the VIN , Cowl tag and VIN derivitive numbers match! I just paid that for a new floor panel into my '69 442. Hope to here more from you...69's rule! derek
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM

thanks, what do you mean by if the VIN , Cowl tag and VIN derivitive numbers match. is that mean if the engine is the original one because when i bought it he sayd it was..how could you tell. cant wait to start working on it.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM

also if the diff was never changed from new, what diff do I have... it has a 12 bolt cover and was made in canada...is there any numbers I could check. And do they make full door skins for the 69 just wondering cause there rusted at the bottom and I figured it would be good just to change the whole skin if they sold one.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM

here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69.jpg (35.4 KB, 115 views)
692.jpg (28.2 KB, 87 views)
693.jpg (26.0 KB, 68 views)
694.jpg (33.5 KB, 96 views)
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM

bigger one, as you can see original head liner in perfect shape
Attached Images
plds ctlass 003.jpg (68.8 KB, 50 views)
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM

also dash is in perfect shape, as you can see the guy put like 3 layers of house carpet on the floor
Attached Images
plds ctlass 002.jpg (77.5 KB, 67 views)
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
olds..older..oldest

identifying your car

The car is a great deal .Having the 3 sets of numbers "match" just means you have the car as it was produced at the factory[up here in Canada!] You've identified the cowl tag, and members have said where to look for the VIN. The VIN derivitive numbers are I believe stamped on the engine[drivers side below plug #1],on the transmission housing, and on the frame above the rear left wheel.These are important to collectors,but shouldn't matter if you just want to enjoy the world's best car...OLDS as you restore and drive. p.s. smarter veteran members correct if any this is wrong
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Smile

Your Canadian built car should have a chevy rear end in it if I remember correctly. There should be a 2 letter or 2 digit code stamped into one or both of the axle housing tubes--when you find that, you can look up the ratio.
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM

just checked the vin on the motor and does match so it is the original engine didnt check frame and axle yet, all wait when I have it apart.

Last edited by dallaire1; April 8th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM

wow you got urself one heck of a deal :P
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Welcome to the site! A very good deal! Like the color too. And a post car as well!

However, I'm guessing there's 3 layers of carpet on the floor because the windshield leaks. It's very common for the lower dash/windsheield channel & cowl to rust out on the '68 & '69s. Seeing as you're doing a restoration, I'd pull the windshield and check it out. I'm guessing you're going to find some holes. From there, start looking for an unrusted dash/upper cowl out of a rust-free west coast car. They're not easy to find so it's good to start looking sooner than later. There's also no reproduction pieces made, so you're stuck with what exists. I speak from experience.

As far as door skins are concerned, they don't make those either. You're either better off finding some nice dry doors. However, seeing as yours is a post car, doors are much harder to find (rather than the hardtop), and you're better off simply welding in new metal.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info,might be a stupid question but what is a post car? Ya I think I will just patch the bottom of the door since I probably wont find a rust free door around here.

Thanks
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM

2 door with a post at the rear window not a hardtop
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dallaire1
Thanks for the info,might be a stupid question but what is a post car? Ya I think I will just patch the bottom of the door since I probably wont find a rust free door around here.

Thanks
Yep. Essentially, there's a window frame on the door and rear window, that when closed, create a "post", often referred to as the "B pillar".

Just make sure you neutralize all the rust on the inside of the door pre- and post- patching it. Good stuff to use on the botton of the inside of doors are the POR products or, if not too bad, Zero Rust paint/primer.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Ok... I have a question for anyone who is up to the challenge. You say there's no aftermarket replacement panel for the bottom of the windshield/dash section. I am inclined to agree with you and I did have to weld in about a 4 inch section in mine at the bottom of the windshield.
Last Winter I was looking on EvilBay for stuff... You know. Just Stuff and there was a guy selling a 71 Cutlass that had beenalready torn down. He had a bunch of new parts, Floors, trunk floor, quarters, The usual sheetmetal replacements. There before my eyes he had what looked like an aftermarketrepair patch for his car. He had already cut away the rust and there was the part. It did not look like a factory part removed from a donor car.There was a pretty good pic of it.A few contours were a bit different from whAT i COULD SEE AND ALSO IT WENT OVER WHERE THE DASh(OOOPS sorry Fat fingers ...) and the cowl meet that normally has a seam.
Has anyone ever seen this??? I even messaged the seller and got no reply.I believe there is someone who is making this repair panel.
Was this a question??? I'm cornfuzed
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM

The Parts Place sells a small strip that they say is for a '68-69 Cutlass/442. However, it's not correct. I believe it's actually for an El Camino. There is no specific aftermarket application for this area. I wish there was. It would have been alot easier replacing my dash.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Window channel

Has any one tried this window channel for a 69 cutlass?

http://www.oldcarnetwork.com/Merchan...ct_Code=M1424B

It says it fits all a-bodies including the 69 cutlass.
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:55 AM

That may be the one I saw.
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM

Smile Sssssssss

Hi and welcome; I don't like to be picky but I noticed in your avatar picture that the letter 'S' is upside down on that red fender
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM

I also have a '69 Cutalss S. Bought it a couple of years ago from the original owner. It is real nice and I have done some minor restoration-it did not need much. I plan to sell it
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
Ok... I have a question for anyone who is up to the challenge. You say there's no aftermarket replacement panel for the bottom of the windshield/dash section. I am inclined to agree with you and I did have to weld in about a 4 inch section in mine at the bottom of the windshield.
Last Winter I was looking on EvilBay for stuff... You know. Just Stuff and there was a guy selling a 71 Cutlass that had beenalready torn down. He had a bunch of new parts, Floors, trunk floor, quarters, The usual sheetmetal replacements. There before my eyes he had what looked like an aftermarketrepair patch for his car. He had already cut away the rust and there was the part. It did not look like a factory part removed from a donor car.There was a pretty good pic of it.A few contours were a bit different from whAT i COULD SEE AND ALSO IT WENT OVER WHERE THE DASh(OOOPS sorry Fat fingers ...) and the cowl meet that normally has a seam.
Has anyone ever seen this??? I even messaged the seller and got no reply.I believe there is someone who is making this repair panel.
Was this a question??? I'm cornfuzed
I think I saw it on tamraz's site, but you can get the dash/lowerlip of the dash panel, and even buy the whole cowel now for an A body car. They were offering either non, or ac style. Not Cheap but you can get them. I think the parts place has them too. Hope this helps.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage

I think you might be interested in this .all cars made or shipped to canada are available. tons of info for your car.

PIT

69 442 conv
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Trim Colors

Dallaire1,

Wondering if you can help me clear something up. I have a 1969 Cutlass S Convertible, with a trim color of 933, which I believe is blue bucket seats. The exterior color is 53A Nassau Blue w/ white top. My seats are a bright medium blue, the dash panel is a darker blue and the dash pad is an even darker blue. I've seen your pictures and just wondering is this what you have as well? I was thinking that this might have been either a replaced dash or the wrong seat color. I would hope that it is original........ Everything else has checked out.

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Attached Images
Dash colors.JPG (229.4 KB, 38 views)
Dash colors 2.JPG (205.9 KB, 37 views)
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to our site. Sounds like a good car at a great price. When you get a chance, take the wiper arms off and the stainless trim piece under them. You should be able to see if you have any rust issues or leaks from the windshield area. Also, not sure what rear you have, but if it is an Olds rear, some numbers will be located on the right side axle tube facing front. You may have to wire brush that area down to find them. If it is a chevy rear, not sure where to look for them but you could send a private message to Monzaz, he is the rear axle guru. Hope that helps.
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 504GCC
Dallaire1,

Wondering if you can help me clear something up. I have a 1969 Cutlass S Convertible, with a trim color of 933, which I believe is blue bucket seats. The exterior color is 53A Nassau Blue w/ white top. My seats are a bright medium blue, the dash panel is a darker blue and the dash pad is an even darker blue. I've seen your pictures and just wondering is this what you have as well? I was thinking that this might have been either a replaced dash or the wrong seat color. I would hope that it is original........ Everything else has checked out.

Thanks in advance.
Gary

I have a 69 drop top that is Blue,blue,blue,blue and blue. and yes they are different shades.
Attached Images
Picture 223.jpg (85.2 KB, 35 views)
Picture 192.jpg (70.3 KB, 33 views)
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

You all do realize that this thread is from Apr/May this year? Unfortunately, dallaire1 hasn't posted since last August.
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks -- for the pics!! I realize this was an old post, but saw that Dallaire1 had some pics that looked somewhat like mine.

Just wanted to make sure since it was such a range of colors.

Jamesbo, I see that yours is a 442, but by chance is your trim code 933?
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 504GCC
Thanks -- for the pics!! I realize this was an old post, but saw that Dallaire1 had some pics that looked somewhat like mine.

Just wanted to make sure since it was such a range of colors.

Jamesbo, I see that yours is a 442, but by chance is your trim code 933?

Yes it is.

The dash and carpet is the darkest, followed by the seat belts while the seats, door pannels and consol are the lighter blue. Sorry the pics aren't better.