Meet Pristine, my 1986 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Meet Pristine, my 1986 Cutlass Supreme

Not much has been posted here about her here. Since several members have asked, and I finally got some good pictures of her last week, it is about time I introduce her.

Some pictures:

It was cold and windy, so Alice did not want to get out (we were on our way to dinner).

Her history:
In 1990 when I started college, my mom pretty much MADE me to get a new car, as she was convinced the hand-me-down 78 Pinto was gonna fall apart (boy, she sure was wrong!)
My mom had an ’86 Cutlass four door and I really liked the quiet comfortable ride. However, I am a 2-door kind of guy. We looked at a few cars here and there at various dealers. I had in mind a mid-80’s Buick Regal, as I really liked the style and comfort they offered. I wanted a GN, but could not afford one. At the local Chevy dealer, mom tried to force an orange 84 T-bird on me, I refused, and told me I was too picky. I was not gonna just drive anything. I hated (and still hate) the bubble-jellybean look. I saw a grey 83 Regal, but it was a bit worn and had just a V6. I passed that, too. And then I saw this gold Cutlass at the side of the lot near the front. It looked so nice I thought it was an employee car, as there was no sticker on it. We asked about it and it had just came in. An older lady trades it for a car that was painted in her college’s color. I drooled and drooled over that Olds. We left and I thought about it that whole weekend. I wanted all the fun power options and sunroof, etc, but this one was just in too good a condition to pass up. That Monday, my mom picked up the Olds on a long test drive and met me at the house for us to nit-pick over.
It looked great but had a few flaws that we would have the dealer fix up before we’d buy. My mom drove, I rode. It drove great and everything worked fine. She finally let me drive it and it felt so grand. I felt like I was on top of the world then! It had the main options I really wanted – the 307 V8, overdrive, COLD A/C, four-speaker radio and cruise control.

A few days later, we went to buy it. This was the first car I had ever paid for. Actually, my mom paid some and I paid the rest. Total was about 5K. Her part was my high school graduation gift. I kept it in mom’s garage as I intended to use it when I got out of college. I preferred having the mighty Pinto take the long college commutes and parking lot beatings. It did just fine those years.

When I graduated, I started driving the Olds to work and I really had the Olds bug. I did a few reversible mods to the car, like adding the 15” rally wheels, front and rear sway bars, radio with tape player, rally-pac, courtesy light package, and trunk release. All of these were GM parts from boneyards and most would have been available on this car as factory options.
The only non-GM mods I made were upgraded speakers (Kenwoods mounted in factory locations), a 30x2 amp for rear speakers, driving lights, and an alarm system.
I hate alarms, but I almost lost this car back in 1997, thanks to some moron thieves at my friend’s apartment complex I was parked at. I wish I had the alarm before then. Luckily insurance paid for most of the damage.

Though I loved the Olds, I still drove the Pinto, as I hoped to keep the Olds out of the bad weather and reduce mileage on it. Even after turning 10 years old, she still looked like 3, particularly on the inside.

She got her name then, purposely rhyming with “Christine”, the possessed Fury from the movie (that’s another story…)
Pristine eventually turned into my special occasion car – for dates (lots of steamy windows!), weekend cruising, or when I needed the cavernous trunk to bring home a mountain bike, a 36” CRT TV, a pair of Cerwin Vega RE38 speakers, etc……..

Neglect sets in:
In 2000, I bought the 97 Cadillac, thinking me and my SO at the time would do some serious travelling (it never happened). The Olds then began her neglected life. She would come out a few times a year, each year less and less.
By late 2007, Lady (my 72 Cutlass convertible) joined my fleet and all my free time shifted to her restoration and enjoyment. The past 2 years, Pristine has been out once a year in December, each time for about 250 miles. This was just enough to use up the year-old tank of gas so I could refill with fresh. I know I should do better, but time is an issue, and this car is blocked in the garage by other cars.

While not a true collectible, I see the values of these G-bodies going up so I intend to keep her low mileage and hopefully get her cleaned up and detailed more. The valve cover gaskets need replacing – a nightmare on the 307.
The paint on the hood, trunk, and roof has shown the effects of GM’s horrible watercolor paint it used back then. I had early plans to repaint those areas but decided to leave her as a survivor. Maybe later, who knows…

The past several years, I have seriously thought of selling Pristine so I can get something else (like a Vista Cruiser). However, each drive reminds me why I keep her – the ride quality! That famous Olds luxury ride that is highlighted in the advertising jingle back then (also found on the complementary tape that came with them, too).
On the highway, she runs so smooth and quiet. Yep – that cloud-like feel that almost makes the experience almost a bit ‘boring’ because I feel like I am just sitting in my easy chair! The velour bench seat is even more comfortable than my couch and I have lots of room. The sway bars help cornering a lot. She is a bit pitchy when travelling fast over uneven farm roads, but it is the tradeoff for softer springs – I can deal with it. The 307 is low on power, but high in torque, keeping her RPMs low.
No car made today that I have driven or rode in delivers this kind of smooth ride. I doubt any does, as some people complain that even their new Caddies drive rough. What a shame…
After the last 250 mile cruise in 5 hours, I came home unfatigued, as if I did not go anywhere! All the newer cars would have had me feeling fatigued to some extent, as I experienced this in my routine vacation rentals. The Jap cars hurt me the most with their hard seats and harsh feel-every-crack-in-the-road feel. Even my’97 Caddy does not match the comfort of this Olds.

The future:
Looks like Pristine will be with me a while longer – she would be a great long distance runner! Of course if someone makes me a really good offer for her I would consider it, as long as she is restored or kept as is.
She does have a few other issues that need attention before making any very long trips. The tranny fluid needs changing, the TPS needs adjusting, the radio has a problem when it gets hot, and the A/C needs recharging. I guess after 25 years, problems happen.
I have a complete power door lock set that I got from a yard over 10 years ago that I hope to install some day – has just not been a priority due to lack of use…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2153.jpg (55.8 KB, 229 views)
IMG_2156.jpg (75.9 KB, 36 views)
IMG_2134.jpg (89.9 KB, 223 views)
IMG_1609.jpg (72.0 KB, 567 views)
IMG_1605.jpg (52.4 KB, 25 views)
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks for sharing that with us.
It makes me regret selling my 84 hurst/olds and my 78 Supreme. Now I want to buy another G body cutlass.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Classic GM Fan

Very nice, Rob! I remember drooling over the 442's and Grand Nationals in the '80's when they were new. Of course I could not dream of affording one..... Nice to see this beauty out and being enjoyed.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Nice garage partner for the "Lady"
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Nice story, Rob, and very nice Oldsmobile! How big's your driveway! LOL! Proud that you have managed to keep her. Curious: is that White Rock, or Lake Ray Hubbard, or Lavon? Might be another one a little furthur out on one of your "runs". Really a pretty car. Inside looks almost as new.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Nice, my freind had an early G body Olds Cutlass, a 79 I think. It had the chrome bumpers. He bought it to replace his 77 Delta 88 that he drove into a brand new, Cadillac, a phone both and finally a telephone pole all in the same accident. He didn't wreck the Cutlass.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Past Administrator

Sounds like a long affair. Very nice car and in such good condition too. I think you have done right to keep from going overboard with modifications.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Beautiful, Rob!! Thanks for sharing the pics. I remember my 85 Cutlass.... silver with the maroon interior and velour seats. It did ride nice. Loved oil too, lol! She's definately a keeper!!!
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Nice story, Rob, and very nice Oldsmobile! How big's your driveway! LOL! Proud that you have managed to keep her. Curious: is that White Rock, or Lake Ray Hubbard, or Lavon? Might be another one a little furthur out on one of your "runs". Really a pretty car. Inside looks almost as new.
Thanks...
Well driveway is big enough for 4 cars, garage only two.
These pictures were from a secluded park on Lake Lavon.
I would not be surprised if you had seen this car, as from 93 to 2006 I was a regular at White Rock lake. Whether dates, bike rides, or lake clean up (I was with FTLOTL for about 5 years).

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Sounds like a long affair. Very nice car and in such good condition too. I think you have done right to keep from going overboard with modifications.
Glad I was able to keep her mostly stock!

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Beautiful, Rob!! Thanks for sharing the pics. I remember my 85 Cutlass.... silver with the maroon interior and velour seats. It did ride nice. Loved oil too, lol! She's definately a keeper!!!
My mom had a 4 door in all burgundy - very classy. I wish she still had it. Hopefully it went to helping keep other Olds' on the road...
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Nice story, great car. My first real car was a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It was medium blue with the dark blue landau top with bucket seats, console, gauges, 307 V8 and it was loaded. When I traded her in in 1995 for my Pontiac Bonneville SSEI I actually cried. This car was with me for my wedding, our first house, and we brought my daughter home in her. Every car after that except my 72' was just another car to drive for a while, then get a new one. Gosh I love Oldsmobiles!
Old January 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice story Rob, thanks for sharing.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Olds fanatic

What a nice car. I'll bet that front bench seat is comfy like a couch!. I've had two 85 442s and they were really nice riding and handling cars. Yours looks really good with the black wheels.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Meet Pristine
Cool. When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said "meet Christine." Thank God that wasn't the case!
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by kpl70sx
What a nice car. I'll bet that front bench seat is comfy like a couch!. I've had two 85 442s and they were really nice riding and handling cars. Yours looks really good with the black wheels.
Thanks...
That seat is MUCH comfier than MY couch. After 5 hours of driving I had no discomfort. With my sofa, I am limited to an hour.

She used to have "granny caps", though the option sheet in the trunk said she originally came with wire wheeel covers. I got those 15" wheels cheap at a yard back in '92 and had them painted black. I like 'em...
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Loose Radical

Very nice stable and great story.
She's not the jealous type like 'Christine' was is she!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM

heh, heh... Not possessed, but a little tempermental lately.
Particularly the TPS low error that comes up every now and then, the trunk release solenoid that seized with no rust at all, the voltage reg that failed from just sitting, and the radio that faulted on the last trip.
One thing is in relation - it is all electrical crap - stuff that is best left off cars!!

Maybe it is jealousy of Lady - the above all started the day she arrived.
Go figure......