This WAS my Fathers Oldsmobile....

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

This WAS my Fathers Oldsmobile....

Here are some pics of my car taken in March this year (that's why you might see some snow. It's not normally that cold up here in July) This car started life as a plain jane Cutlass S with PS,PB and auto TH350, period (option code A52) I've got the broadcast sheet to prove it.

Anyway, this was my DAD's car. God bless Dad, Olds fever now runs in my own family. He had 2 of these. The other was an earlier model produced in Nov 1971 (Cutlass S - Matador red) for the 72 model year. He gave that one to me for XMAS in 1975. (Can't believe how spoiled I was back then). Anyway, I sold the car to a friend in 1980 and I'm still kicking myself.
This one went to my brother after Dad passed away. Bro's only concern was whether it would start, and did it have any gas? I did the maintenance on the car for him cause he had a hard time finding his *** with both hands. Bought it off him in 1981 when he bought a Merc 4 banger and went to work fixing all the body damage etc he caused/did.

This car had all the bright work and sheet metal done with NOS parts back in 1986. Color is Corvette Silver - base / clear. I have umpteen different options I'm planning to install. They are all either NOS or OEM restored parts that are correct for this model year. So, there's absolutely no way in hell that it will match it's factory build sheet when I'm done, but I don't care. Just need the time and some space. Yes that's an NOS Y71 thermometer in front of the driver mirror. Got another one in storage. Have the dual cutout bumper and trumpets, wing, rallye pac, PW, PDL, Tilt, Ptrunk, Cruise, tinted glass, electric rear defog, T44, night watch, yada yada yada. I'll post it someday.
The wife is kinda used to "her" half of the garage even though she knows that it's really "mine". Like she told me many moons ago after we got married, "What's yours is mine, and what's mine is still mine". She's worth it though.

The interior of this car is original (totally unmolested and VERY well preserved) with the exception of the drivers seat upright panel. Bro used to carry a "rat tail" comb and put some nice holes in it. This car has been garage kept under a cover since the 1986 except for the days when I decide it's ok to take it out for a cruise. Lots of interest from other drivers when that happens.

If anyone knows how to post more than 5 pics on this forum, please let me know and I'll add some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008_0314MILLER0029 - Copy.JPG (87.0 KB, 204 views)
2008_0314MILLER0033 - Copy.JPG (92.6 KB, 159 views)
2008_0314MILLER0036 - Copy.JPG (67.8 KB, 151 views)
2008_0314MILLER0034 - Copy.JPG (70.8 KB, 139 views)
2008_0314MILLER0024 - Copy.JPG (94.1 KB, 132 views)
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Once again, I have cutlass jealousy...Very nice car, keep up the fantastic work.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM

That is a BEAUTIFUL car! I like the color and the wheels.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the nice words..
Here's a few more pics. In the drivers seat shot, if you look close you will see a rare tissue dispenser on the trans hump. Why rare? Because it has the olds rocket on it and it's an NOS part for this model year that is really hard to get. If memory serves, it was 147.00 plus shipping. How insane do you have to be to get what you want? Try me.

Keep in mind that this is a work in progress. It's NOT finished by any stretch of the imagination and you WILL find stuff that's not perfect if you are really looking for it.

I'll keep posting pics if you're interested. Got some neat shots of the "parts store" I've been accumulating for the past 3 years. You know, stuff that you're going to eventually get to install or play with.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thats one sharp ride.
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Past Administrator

The black stripes on that beautiful silvery/grey look really good.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM

That car is gorgeous. Btw, if you host the pics on photobucket and hotlink them, thenyou can post more than 5 at a time, and it'll post them in the thread as pics.
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Some more pics

So, here's some more pics. Mostly of the stuff Ive been collecting over the past 2 years. Not complete by any stretch.... but it's a really good start. The next phase is to take all the OEM that's not NOS and make it look that way.
Attached Images
Y71 option.JPG (53.5 KB, 94 views)
Tic toc tach.jpg.JPG (95.0 KB, 92 views)
Some spare parts.jpg.JPG (64.3 KB, 104 views)
more parts to go.jpg.JPG (76.4 KB, 87 views)
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM

WOW, would you like to send that fine Olds to England for a little holliday, I would take very good care of it for you. Andy
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

WOW, would you like to send that fine Olds to England for a little holliday, I would take very good care of it for you. Andy
Couldn't think of a nicer way to have my way paid accross the pond. Don't know how it would be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Thanks for the nice comment. The car has a LOT of sentimental memories. I'm sure Dad would kind of wonder why the heck I'm spending so much time and money on it. (He was Scottish descent). However, he was the guy who led me to the Oldsmobile well and helped me start drinkin the water. I'd swear sometimes he's with me on cruise night.
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
69CuttyS

Cool stuff- where did you get that clock/tach thingie? That's an interesting piece...
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

Is that's tic-tac- thing there so you know what time it is when you blow your engine after going past redline?

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 10th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
Is that's tic-tac- thing there so you know what time it is when you blow your engine after going past redline?
Allan
LOL... Never thought of that reasoning!

"Tick-Tach-Tock - you just blew your block..."

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 11th, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Me Likey
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Allan R
Here are some pics of my car taken in March this year (that's why you might see some snow. It's not normally that cold up here in July) This car started life as a plain jane Cutlass S with PS,PB and auto TH350, period (option code A52) I've got the broadcast sheet to prove it.

Anyway, this was my DAD's car. God bless Dad, Olds fever now runs in my own family. He had 2 of these. The other was an earlier model produced in Nov 1971 (Cutlass S - Matador red) for the 72 model year. He gave that one to me for XMAS in 1975. (Can't believe how spoiled I was back then). Anyway, I sold the car to a friend in 1980 and I'm still kicking myself.
This one went to my brother after Dad passed away. Bro's only concern was whether it would start, and did it have any gas? I did the maintenance on the car for him cause he had a hard time finding his *** with both hands. Bought it off him in 1981 when he bought a Merc 4 banger and went to work fixing all the body damage etc he caused/did.

This car had all the bright work and sheet metal done with NOS parts back in 1986. Color is Corvette Silver - base / clear. I have umpteen different options I'm planning to install. They are all either NOS or OEM restored parts that are correct for this model year. So, there's absolutely no way in hell that it will match it's factory build sheet when I'm done, but I don't care. Just need the time and some space. Yes that's an NOS Y71 thermometer in front of the driver mirror. Got another one in storage. Have the dual cutout bumper and trumpets, wing, rallye pac, PW, PDL, Tilt, Ptrunk, Cruise, tinted glass, electric rear defog, T44, night watch, yada yada yada. I'll post it someday.
The wife is kinda used to "her" half of the garage even though she knows that it's really "mine". Like she told me many moons ago after we got married, "What's yours is mine, and what's mine is still mine". She's worth it though.

The interior of this car is original (totally unmolested and VERY well preserved) with the exception of the drivers seat upright panel. Bro used to carry a "rat tail" comb and put some nice holes in it. This car has been garage kept under a cover since the 1986 except for the days when I decide it's ok to take it out for a cruise. Lots of interest from other drivers when that happens.

If anyone knows how to post more than 5 pics on this forum, please let me know and I'll add some more.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post40301

just quote me and see what I did ...

Last edited by mugzilla; August 11th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

KeithA0000Cool stuff- where did you get that clock/tach thingie? That's an interesting piece...
As others have mentioned, it's part of a tic, toc tach setup that was coded as a U21 option on A body Oldsmobiles. Since the fuel gauge was incorporated into the cluster, the 1972 models had a dash mounted seat belt warning light/shroud just above where the center a/c vent is located. Most people doing a resto overlook that little detail, so you can tell pretty quickly whether the car has a detailed resto or may have come from the factory with this option. Here's a picture of the 2 gauges that go on each side of the speedo. Tach goes to the right.
Attached Images
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
69CuttyS

Cool; never saw anything like that before. Got me all exited, but doesn't look like an applicable option for my 69. To risk exposing my ignorance even further, what's that thingie mounted beside you driver's side mirror (also seen in your second bunch of photos with the tic-toc-tach)?
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
Cool; never saw anything like that before. Got me all exited, but doesn't look like an applicable option for my 69. To risk exposing my ignorance even further, what's that thingie mounted beside you driver's side mirror (also seen in your second bunch of photos with the tic-toc-tach)?
As luck would have it, the rallye pac gauges (U21 option) were availble for Cutlass/442 models from 1966/67?? and up. You can get them for your 69, but you'll also have to modify your wiring to the gauges a bit, + install the oil pressure and temp senders at the front of the block. If you do some web searching you will find these parts. I know Parts Place sells aftermarket "original look" rallye gauges for 1970 - 1972. Anyway, I've seen 1969 gauge packages up for grabs on ebay and parts place before. Price wise, they seem to be less expensive than the 1970-72 versions.

That "thingie" beside the mirror is the Y71 door thermometer option. This one is an NOS part. Back in it's day it was only about 15 bucks. I bought this one for a really low $379.00 + shipping and tax. I've got another one (also NOS) in its original box c/w templates. It's a nice piece that lots of people notice and ask about. BTW it works perfectly.

And, no such thing as an ignorant question...this forum is here to share this kind of information. Feel free to ask or comment. You won't find a better bunch of guys to talk to and ask questions of.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
69CuttyS

Hey, thanks for that info; back to eBay I go! Cheers!
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Drilling fixture and exact location thermometer?

As luck would have it, the rallye pac gauges (U21 option) were availble for Cutlass/442 models from 1966/67?? and up. You can get them for your 69, but you'll also have to modify your wiring to the gauges a bit, + install the oil pressure and temp senders at the front of the block. If you do some web searching you will find these parts. I know Parts Place sells aftermarket "original look" rallye gauges for 1970 - 1972. Anyway, I've seen 1969 gauge packages up for grabs on ebay and parts place before. Price wise, they seem to be less expensive than the 1970-72 versions.

That "thingie" beside the mirror is the Y71 door thermometer option. This one is an NOS part. Back in it's day it was only about 15 bucks. I bought this one for a really low $379.00 + shipping and tax. I've got another one (also NOS) in its original box c/w templates. It's a nice piece that lots of people notice and ask about. BTW it works perfectly.

And, no such thing as an ignorant question...this forum is here to share this kind of information. Feel free to ask or comment. You won't find a better bunch of guys to talk to and ask questions of.
Hello Allan R,
What a nice car!! I can only admire that. Once retired I will have the time (I hope) to restore my '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible to something similar, although I'm not sure if I'm able to do anything like that.

This week I bought a little thermometer for my Olds on Ebay. It is not as nice as yours, being a used article. Maybe I need to have it rechromed even to make it nice enough to mount on the car. But since you have one new out of the box, I'm wondering if you're able to send me a picture of the plan that used to be in the box, so I know exactly where to mount it on the door. I would much appreciate if you're willing to do that for me!

Thanks,
Louis

Last edited by Louis; March 4th, 2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Finding out how it works....
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Louis
This week I bought a little thermometer for my Olds on Ebay. It is not as nice as yours, being a used article. Maybe I need to have it rechromed even to make it nice enough to mount on the car. But since you have one new out of the box, I'm wondering if you're able to send me a picture of the plan that used to be in the box, so I know exactly where to mount it on the door. I would much appreciate if you're willing to do that for me!
Thanks,
Louis
Louis, I don't think you'll be able to have it re-chromed without damaging the rest of the thermometer. I'd tape off the plastic display housing and use a buffing wheel and jewellers rouge on the chrome to bring up the shine. Finish off with some chrome polish. The plastic lens you can probably bring back to life with some "headlight' restorer". You have that in the Netherlands don't you?

re: the template. Yes I still have the template. There are actually a number of them for all the different models it would fit. Right now it's tucked away with the other NOS unit in the shed. We can do one of 2 things.
1. Wait for spring to arrive here so I can get to it.
2. Give you the link to the Chassis Service Manual (CSM) for 72 that shows the mounting installation. Have a look at this link. The thermometer is on page 15-36 http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15B.pdf
Do you have all the mounting hardware?
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM

ah so thats what she looked like before you got it. had a good car to work off of hey? all the mods have been very tasteful as to compliment the car. One question. I want to put a vinyl top back on mine but dont have the moldings. are they hard to locate?
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not quite my friend....

Originally Posted by 4424me
ah so thats what she looked like before you got it. had a good car to work off of hey? all the mods have been very tasteful as to compliment the car. One question. I want to put a vinyl top back on mine but dont have the moldings. are they hard to locate?
No that's what i turned it into. It looked like crap when I got it. My bro wasn't one for mtce or polishing . That took me the better part of 4 years. The body work and painting was done by a buddy who moved up to Grande Prairie. The car needed 2 new quarter panels, 1 door skin, 2 new fenders, new weatherseals and bright reveal moldings, new stone shield/grills/filler panels, sports mirrors and straighten / rechrome both bumpers. Back in 83 I got most of the stuff NIB from GM Stedelbauer Chev Olds. It was pricey for the time, but not nearly what it is now. Should have bought some other cool options new, but wasn't thinking that far ahead at the time. I was more focused on chasing 'other things' at the time

re:Vinyl top? That's what I've planned for mine too! Remind me if you come to Olds, I'm pretty sure I have some spare parts you could use. I'll pick out the ones I want for mine and you can choose from the others, ok? I know we can come to some arrangements.

These parts aren't all that hard to find on the web. More people are taking vinyl off than putting it on. BTW, Fusick is repopping the corner pieces, but not the connecting trim. See pg 17 of their catalogue:
VT702F Front Vinyl Top Moldings 1970-72 all 2 Door Cutlass S-442 with Vinyl Top 44.50 pr.
VT702R Rear Vinyl Top Moldings 1970-72 all 2 Door Cutlass S-442 with Vinyl Top 44.50 pr.

I like the ones I've got because they are OEM. Need some clean up but I know they will fit right.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Louis, I don't think you'll be able to have it re-chromed without damaging the rest of the thermometer. I'd tape off the plastic display housing and use a buffing wheel and jewellers rouge on the chrome to bring up the shine. Finish off with some chrome polish. The plastic lens you can probably bring back to life with some "headlight' restorer". You have that in the Netherlands don't you?

re: the template. Yes I still have the template. There are actually a number of them for all the different models it would fit. Right now it's tucked away with the other NOS unit in the shed. We can do one of 2 things.
1. Wait for spring to arrive here so I can get to it.
2. Give you the link to the Chassis Service Manual (CSM) for 72 that shows the mounting installation. Have a look at this link. The thermometer is on page 15-36 http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15B.pdf

Allan, Thanks for the quick response!
Yes, I can get hold of those things and I'll try to do it the way you suggested first. If it doesn't work, I'm thinking of removing the thermometer from its shell - it's only kept together throught the one rivet isn't it?

I do have the '72 Service Manual, but on that picture it doesn't tell what the distance is between the mirror and the thermometer. And I have the sports mirror, not the standard that is pictured.

But I don't have any problems waiting until spring - does that come early in your area ?

Thanks!
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM

I forgot - I do have the bracket, won't be a problem to find the two parkers, the only challenge will be the gasket . I'm thinking of making one out of a mouse pad or some other piece of rubber since I won't be able to find an original...
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Louis
I forgot - I do have the bracket, won't be a problem to find the two parkers, the only challenge will be the gasket . I'm thinking of making one out of a mouse pad or some other piece of rubber since I won't be able to find an original...
The original is plastic. Find some black plastic that's about 1/8" thick, trace the outline and cut about 1/16" outside it. I'll get a close up of my thermometer to show you later.

Spring is almost here! YAY! Bye for now, I'm off to my Sunday night curling league. Beer awaits TTYL
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I know this is an old thread but the car looks great! I just love the spare parts pile.
How much of the parts pile has been installed since the pics?
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM

ahh ok that makes more sense! i was thinkin to myself quickly reading over it, as to how its in bad shape :P sounds pretty much like the same program i had to go through with mine! If im able to make it down I would love to look at what you got up for grabs. ive been meanin to post up some progress pics but i can never seem to find the time!
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I know this is an old thread but the car looks great! I just love the spare parts pile.
How much of the parts pile has been installed since the pics?
Thx, the car actually looks pretty much the same today, except it has a whole new front suspension, steering, and brake rebuild. So underneath it looks a lot better. My priorities were to do all the safety stuff first and then focus on the cosmetics and options. BTW there's stuff in the basement that's not in the 'parts bin' like an NOS set of Power windows, used OEM power door locks, and tinted defogger on glass rear window. How much has been installed? Not much my friend. That will probably take another year to complete. The pic was for the insurance adjuster to validate the claim that I actually have this stuff. There will be some duplications which I might sell off when done. (3 cruise control units - 1 is NOS), various trims, heater escutcheons etc. Right now my plans are for the rear suspension, gas tank and lines, rear brakes and cooling system before I tackle anything else.

Originally Posted by 4424me
ahh ok that makes more sense! i was thinkin to myself quickly reading over it, as to how its in bad shape :P sounds pretty much like the same program i had to go through with mine! If im able to make it down I would love to look at what you got up for grabs. ive been meanin to post up some progress pics but i can never seem to find the time!
Before you come out send me a PM or ph number and we can talk about what I should bring to the roundup if you're coming ok?
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:19 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Very nice,thanks Allan.

Walter
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM

That sounds good allan. A little closer to the time when I know what I may need for sure and know I can make it I will surely pm you. Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Now I know the history of your car and I didn"t even have to ask!
Ted
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
Now I know the history of your car and I didn"t even have to ask!
Ted
I would share that story with anyone. I had such great times with my Dad. It's been 34 years since he passed. I still remember him and think about him. My son occasionally asks about Dad and wishes he could have met him. I do too. BTW did you get the letter yet?

One of these days, if I can make it down there I'll drive it down. Maybe we could pick a midway point and both get a chance for a road trip.....IIRC the last time we drove that car across Canada, gas was around 28 ¢/gallon and it took us about 5 days going from here to Montreal. We only travelled about 7 hours a day and then camped at roadway stops overnight. It was a different time than today's fast paced world......
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Beautiful car allan!!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks! Hope we meet up in person this year. Probably will be down in Red Deer on the 17th or 18th to meet up with Curtis. Did you hear back from that guy with the headlight bezel yet? I could take Vinnie, Guido and Ma out ta persuades him to get on da stick if ya nose whut I meens...
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM

Hahaha...Allan I emailed the guy yesterday and he got back to me and stated he has to get out to his folks farm to remove the part!!!

I informed him that I might have someone to pick it up!!!!
I will keep you posted!!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I would share that story with anyone. I had such great times with my Dad. It's been 34 years since he passed. I still remember him and think about him. My son occasionally asks about Dad and wishes he could have met him. I do too. BTW did you get the letter yet?

One of these days, if I can make it down there I'll drive it down. Maybe we could pick a midway point and both get a chance for a road trip.....IIRC the last time we drove that car across Canada, gas was around 28 ¢/gallon and it took us about 5 days going from here to Montreal. We only travelled about 7 hours a day and then camped at roadway stops overnight. It was a different time than today's fast paced world......
I hear ya My dad is still alive, but unfortunately he believes, as he does dogs, that they belong outside with the car!?
Have not gotten letter yet-I will let you know, eh
Half way and pay my visa up before I leave-your on!!!

Ted