new guy with a 69 convert

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM

new guy with a 69 convert

Hey ther My name is Dustin and I just bought my buddies 69 cutlass convertable. I was wanting some infoabout it. The body is perfect ,the only rust is on top of the dash from a leaky top. It has the 350 rocket with a powerglide trans, bench seat with factory airand rally wheels The color is gold. I was told it a hard model to find due to the trans , air and bench seat, ans something about having only the cutlass emblym on the fender. by the way I only paid 5k for it. Im geting ready to put a new top on it. What do you think about changing from whiteto black top? I was also thinking about repainting it but since it also has gold interior. I was thinking the Lexes light amber but i guess we will see. As soon as the temp gets warmer here (its oly 8) ill post pics thanks Dustin
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

Dustin, welcome to our site. Where are you located, since you mentioned the cold temerature. I din't know the powerglide tranny was used in Oldsmobiles. Like you said, may be a contributing factor to the rarity.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

Sounds like a cool car Dustin

The 2-speed auto trans as used by Olds was called the Jetaway...and has some minor diff. between it and the Powerglide...mostly the filter I think. I have seen several in 69 Cutlass cars behind small block motors only.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

thanks for the reply. I live in Kansas City Missouri. Does anyone have the # of units made. I wouldliketo find out the history.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Check out 69olds.com
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by racedraper
thanks for the reply. I live in Kansas City Missouri. Does anyone have the # of units made. I wouldliketo find out the history.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!
I live in Lees Summit! Would love to see you car sometime.
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Dustin, I too started out with a 69 S convertable 350 with the Jetway. As said before there are differences in the Jetway to powerglide and I believe (not sure) that they go beyond the filter. I was told it had areas of weakness the powerglide did not. Personally I like my white top but the body color is green and the top is hardley up anyway. Some of the things I did to mine already is replace the 350 with a 455 (snaped the timing chain in the 350), put in a TH400, change the gears in the rear end, dual flowmaster american thunder exhaust (2.5 inch, they came out with the 3 inch like a month later), headers, and new wheels and tires. Plans are to upgrade to disc brakes in the front, upgrad radiator (still the 350 one), trunk painted (dam thing is bubbling), and tranny cooler. If you are every looking for help with anything shoot me an email. I have ran into some pretty wierd things, especially with the rear end gear change, gibbo_23@yahoo.com.

Steve