Quick question on air shocks

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM

Quick question on air shocks

I have a 72 cutlass with air shocks on the rear...what are the pros and cons for using this system. Thanks,
Sam
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Jim's rare 80

They help compensate for a smoother ride, and are awesome for when you load it down for a road trip. I had them in my 73 Cutlass, and they will be in my 80 when it's done. Only bad part is the need for a compressed air supply. Hope this helps.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jim's rare 80
They help compensate for a smoother ride, and are awesome for when you load it down for a road trip. I had them in my 73 Cutlass, and they will be in my 80 when it's done. Only bad part is the need for a compressed air supply. Hope this helps.
The downside to air shocks is that the frame is not designed to carry the weight of the car through the attachment point at the top of the shock. I would recommend air bags instead. The bags go inside the coil spring and thus the load path is the same as the factory intended. Functionally they are identical to air shocks.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM

I'm not ever planning on having the car weighted down, so that's not a big deal for me. What I do like is a smoother ride, but does it has any adverse effects on handling? I'm planning on mostly cruising/racing this car. Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Past Administrator

I think it is about like tires. Performance tires that handle better are going to provide a harsher ride and conversely passenger tires that have a nice soft ride are going to be very weak on performance. So, shocks valved for stiffer performance will naturally feel harsh, and shocks valved for a nice ride will not provide enough performance for people who want to "push" the envelope. It is hard to get both in one shock, although I know many advertise they do.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Pghstarsky
I'm not ever planning on having the car weighted down, so that's not a big deal for me. What I do like is a smoother ride, but does it has any adverse effects on handling? I'm planning on mostly cruising/racing this car. Thanks
Are you talking about air shocks or gas shocks? Air shocks are normal shocks with an air chamber around the outside. The whole purpose is to increase the spring stiffness (by providing additional, pneumatic springs). If anything, they will make the car ride more stiffly.

Gas shocks have an internal nitrogen-pressurized bladder that is designed to prevent the shock hydraulic oil from aerating while driving. This is a good thing.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think it is about like tires. Performance tires that handle better are going to provide a harsher ride and conversely passenger tires that have a nice soft ride are going to be very weak on performance...
This is mainly due to sidewall height. Performance tires tend to be low-profile, which means shorter, stiffer sidewalls.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
same but different

I have used airshocks for years. I have to admit they do give a harsher ride, but can't say they effect handling in any negative way.

I have heard others talk about wheel hop when launching, but I don't have that problem.

I like the ability to adjust the ride height when running loaded.

Only other con I can think of is the plastic airlines that feed each shock. They could melt if installed too close to the exhaust, or get pinched. Either way, the air excapes,then the rear droops and you are riding on the bouncy bouncy springs. I carry a spare line, just in case.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This is mainly due to sidewall height. Performance tires tend to be low-profile, which means shorter, stiffer sidewalls.
True, I didn't specify that. Although I was also thinking about tread pattern. I have been in some cars that were absolutely noisy, like a tank and the explanation was the tires. I don't know if the pattern alone was attributable to the noise or if the rubber composition also had some significance. Anyway, sometimes my comparisons aren't quite as effective as they sound in my head when the pop in there, maybe because there is too much empty space
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM

Yes, I am talking about the air shocks that were an option on my 72 cutlass. I have them, and was just wondering what the pro's and con's were. Basically I wanted to know if they were acceptable for all around driving, or if they are exactly the same and a regular shock except for the fact that you can adjust the ride height...which is awesome. Thanks
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Pghstarsky
Yes, I am talking about the air shocks that were an option on my 72 cutlass. I have them, and was just wondering what the pro's and con's were. Basically I wanted to know if they were acceptable for all around driving, or if they are exactly the same and a regular shock except for the fact that you can adjust the ride height...which is awesome. Thanks
The latter.
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM

I have airshocks on my 70 and only run 20 lbs in them and they act just like regular shocks BUT if i had to do it over again i would use airbags.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM

Back in '77 I had a set of Gabriel "Hijackers" on my '70 SX. I had them filled just enough to get that "jacked up" look that was so popular back then. Never had any problems whatsoever. A Supreme was not really designed for performance handling anyway, and I didn't try to make it do so. Of course we didn't have the modern technologies like air bags back then, so today there are a lot more choices. As I recall, I still had one of the smoothest riding muscle cars among my peers. Today I would probably go with air bags, since there seem to be advantages over air shocks as has been noted. Chumley
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM

In an airbag suspension doesn't the airbag simply replace the spring? I though you had to reposition the shock and anchor it to a different point. In other words, don't airbag suspensions still use shocks?
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Cool

Originally Posted by Olds64
In an airbag suspension doesn't the airbag simply replace the spring? I though you had to reposition the shock and anchor it to a different point. In other words, don't airbag suspensions still use shocks?

Yes, airbags just replace the springs. There are some street rod airbag systems that mount coaxially with the shock.

You can get aftermarket air bags that go inside the rear coil springs for additional load-carrying capacity. The advantage over air shocks is that the air bags transmit the load to the reinforced parts of the frame and spring perch. Air shocks transmit this load through the shock mounts, which are not as strong.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM

since both will give you the jacked up rear end, which is cheaper ? because im gonna get some lol
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

If you jack up the rear end in your '69 it won't look so much like a sleeper anymore......
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Air shocks would be cheaper.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I don't think a 69 could be a sleeper, period.

People expect a lot when they see a car like that nowadays.

For many on lookers, if it doesn't live up to the muscle car legend, it's just an old
clunker.

A good sleeper would be a 1990 Woodgrain Custom Cruiser with rust bubbles the size of your head, and 4 non matching rims, that does 11s.
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM

you guys should look into a performance air bag system i suggest looking into air ride technologies at ridetech.com, im saving some money to get it myself because its a bit pricie.
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I don't think a 69 could be a sleeper, period.

People expect a lot when they see a car like that nowadays.

For many on lookers, if it doesn't live up to the muscle car legend, it's just an old
clunker.

A good sleeper would be a 1990 Woodgrain Custom Cruiser with rust bubbles the size of your head, and 4 non matching rims, that does 11s.
the 4-doors help it out, and thats one hell of a sleeper, hell if it looks that bad it might as well be a 10 second car. lol thats a good idea though.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM

It turns out now that my airbag/shocks/whatever they are...leak. I pumped them all the way up monday night, and this morning they are down again. Is there any place that they generally leak from or do I need to get my squirt bottle filled with bubble solution out?
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM

If you have an airbag suspension then I suggest you check the bottom or top of the airbags where they contact metal. Airbag suspensions are notorious for collecting rust in that area and losing air. Have you ever seen a late 90s Lincoln Town Car cruising down the road with the rear bumper practically dragging on the ground? (that is due to bad airbags)

If you have air shocks and they are leaking I suggest checking your lines that go into the shocks. They could have kinked and split apart. That would be the easiest thing to check too.
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM

I had airbags (in the coils) in my 87 Grand National and only pumped them up to launch off the line racing. My buddy had airbags (in the coils) in his Ford F250 truck to level out when carrying his camper.

My airbags cost $75.

With airshocks, you may as well get rid of the coils since they're not doing anything (not recommended of course).............. Only 2 small bolts (5/16" or so) hold each air shock in place so the stress on those mount points are high.

Remember that with one line to your 2 airshocks, you get more body roll than if you have 2 separate lines. Some older racers put an airshock on one side to keep the car straight during racing launches..typical in old Challengers/Cudas.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Olds64, I have seen that, and my car is a rustbucket...so it's feasible that they did rust through. And thank you for your response topless.
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM

anytime..