Shop auto to manual price?

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:59 AM

Shop auto to manual price?

How much would it cost to convert my 72 cutlass to manual. I don't want a console, just the stick in the floor , like a truck. What will a shop charge? Anyone interested in doing it? I'm in Milwaukee, Wi
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:14 AM

Ballpark? $3000.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:02 AM
car guy

The biggest issue to do it right the crank needs to be machined for the pilot bearing. You can use an adaper bearing but is a pretty cheezy looking part that I would not trust long term.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM

I have done the conversions for a variety of customers with 70-72 Cutlass/442's.When I have supplied all the parts,and did all the labor,it was $3800.00-$4,000.00 It would be cheaper without a console.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Have you actually found a shop capable of doing this? Most shops today only know how to read computer codes and replace the parts the code says are bad. In any case the cost will also depend on whether you plan to chase down all the small parts yourself or make the shop do it. Don't forget clutch linkage, the little frame bracket for the equalizer bar, the ball stud that goes in the engine (is your block drilled for it?), the new plate that goes at the base of the steering column, the boot for the clutch rod, the non-available clutch safety switch, repro shifter hump for the floor pan, boot, etc, etc. As gearheads noted, the crank pilot bearing is a problem if your crank isn't drilled (and most were not from the factory).
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM

Auto to manual

I have not found a shop to do this yet. Although this post alone has given me lots of the in depth stuff I need to know.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM

Would suggest you consider letting Brian (507OLDS) do it. I've just done one myself, and rounding up all the little pieces needed (to do it right) is a major PITA - time and money wise. His estimate is very fair considering all the hours someone (or shop) who doesnt know exactly what they're doing will charge you for this project.

And Erie PA. is just great this time of year!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM

Then, you have to select a transmission, new or used & refurbished, and a shifter. Depending on what trans you are trading in, it could help offset the cost a little.
x2 on Brian Trick. He is knowledgeable and experienced. That makes a lot of difference. A closer shop could quote a nice price, but then it could easily end up costing considerably more than a knowledgeable estimate from someone like Brian.

I have done the "swap" in that the parts car and baskets of parts that I used to re-create the Rund car started out with an automatic trans frame and body shell. I had the crank bored for the pilot bushing when I built the engine. There are a lot of parts involved, as others noted above.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM

Darned

Well in that case , I may as well just do the frame off restoration along with this. That way I can see financial benefit if I ever decide to sell.