Some pictures and some decoding (56K beware)

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Some pictures and some decoding (56K beware)

Hi, here are some photos I took tonight of my engine and some numbers around. I hope I decoded them correctly. I decoded the VIN too and this is what I got:

Year:1969Division:OldsmobileSeries:Cutlass (V8)Body:2dr ConvertiblePlant:Linden, New Jersey

1) The Rocket 350:

2) The stock (I think) 2 jet Rochester carb:

3) This is a picture of the modern radiator it came with and where the fan shroud should be if I could find one

4) Here is a picture of the joint in the convertible frame, you can see how it is not straight and how the windows don't roll up because of it. You can also the interior, it's in pretty good condition I think.

5) This is the left cylinder head. Is that hole supposed to be there with nothing plugged into it?

6) Ok, so this is the Fisher body plate, I labeled what I could. I don't know the rest.

7) This plate is light blue and in the back left of the engine, the picture is crappy, but this is what it says:
General Motors Lockeford NY
3014078 SAE-AIR-60

8) This crazy looking plate is embedded in the frame on the passenger side of the Cutlass where the door closes. It's from Mexico! You can see that it doesn't really fit into that spot where it's bolted in...not sure what that means.

9) This is on the front of the block, high up. I think the number is 18436572, but it could be 18486572. Or it could be either one of those without the first 1, it's hard to tell.

10) I'm pretty sure this is the casting number, 3955582.

Last edited by pheezy; February 6th, 2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: decoded fisher body plate
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM

That Mexico registration plate is kind of cool.....maybe this is Pancho Villas personal "Covertible" (spelling it like they did on the plate).

It would be interesting to figure out what the story on that is....maybe the car was sold new down there or exported to Mexico.

I guess the crankcase breathes pretty well since there's no oil fill cap and an open hole in the P side valve cover! (You need to get a new breather to push into the P side valve cover as well as one of the metal tubes to connect the breather to the side of the air cleaner). Available in Austin...new breather should be available at an Auto Parts store and a salvage yard will have the tube.

Last edited by 70Post; February 6th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Cool thanks 70Post, I thought that didn't look right.
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Smile Intake manifold

Hi there; the number 18436572 is the fireing order and it says so just above that number....
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

That engine is remarkably clean. Parts stores should have that breather as 70post said., if not rockauto has them along with a lot of other parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Fusick's has the oil filler cap and breather tube, or as they call it a "valve cover to air cleaner vent pipe", should really say valve cover breather to air cleaner.

http://www.fusick.com/

The top side rail looks like it may needs an adjustment at the top control link. It's too hard to explain here but the Fisher Body Service Manual walks you through it, mine was the same way.
It's not the same as the Chassis Service Manual, you need that too if you don't have one. I linked to Faxon's but both can be found on evilbay along with other places on the net if you want to shop around.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/products.cfm

That metal Harrison label on the AC evaporator should be on there from the factory.

The sticker on your air cleaner lid is facing the wrong way.
You may may want to get a new one and put it on facing the front... or just loosen the lid and turn it.
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention that you will also need the rubber elbow that goes on the breather, Fusick's has that too.