Wiper Switch for a 77

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM

Wiper Switch for a 77

Ive got a 1977 cutlass salon and the only thing i need (besides money to make it a beauty) is the wiper switch, it only works on high and the wipers themselves jump up and down when i turn it off if i dont play with the switch right, im a highschool kid so its my main car right now. i plan to compleatly restor it when i have the money
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds7cutlass7salon
Ive got a 1977 cutlass salon and the only thing i need (besides money to make it a beauty) is the wiper switch, it only works on high and the wipers themselves jump up and down when i turn it off if i dont play with the switch right, im a highschool kid so its my main car right now. i plan to compleatly restor it when i have the money
It could be the switch, it could be the wiper motor, or it could be the wiring. You might want to do a little trouble shooting before you start throwing dollars at it.

The GM wiper motor uses two windings to get the two speeds. The primary winding gives you high speed. There is a reverse-wound shunt winding that is energized in addition to the primary to slow the motor down. This shunt winding is also used for the park function. When the motor starts flopping the blades up and down, this is usually an indication that there is something wrong with the shunt winding circuit or the park contacts.
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM

ok

ok ill try playing under the dash, my bigest problem there is the last idiot that had it had to have a fancy tape player and my wireing is all backwords from the scimatics that i have found, but alot of the other things are fine, and there isnt a hold lot of damage or hurt to the inards of the car, ill try to make some pics some time
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by olds7cutlass7salon
First of all, 1977 Salon is a lovely car. Don't sell it even if you get married.

The wiper problem: is this something you inherited with the car, or something that just started acting up? Reason I ask is that I've had 3 wiper motors go bad with similar problems to what you're describing. None of the problems with my wiper motors were related to the wiper switch. It was always something in the wiper motor (like the park feature Joe was mentioning)

If it's something that just started, consider going to the wrecker and getting a replacement. It may be faster and solve the problem without having to play with underdash wiring. GM wiper motors at wreckers are cheap and plentiful. You can use one from Chev, Olds, Pontiac, Buick of similar years and models. I believe you can use 1977-1984 as donor cars.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:50 PM

LOOK OUT

all of my wireing is fine for ground and lack of corosion, so i tried the first thing i could get ahold of. the wiper motor itself, i bought one but it on cleaned out under the dust cap, got the washer pump itself to work, anybody would be mad at me if they asked how, but it still does the same thing, so i guess its the switch!!! now i just need to fine one, but my next problem is the stand by position of the wipers is in mid stroke, anybody know how to time this motor please tell me. My wipers will park in the correct positon and make a full wipe, they just sit in mid stroke. Auto parts stores have no idea here, they just say its bad and offer me onother new one