63 f85 rear end

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2020, 02:05 PM

63 f85 rear end

Hi i was wanting to know what rear ends I can drop into a 63 f85? Any that I can just switch out or do they all require little mods?
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Nothing. The 61-63 Y-body cars use an axle that is unique to the F-85 and Skylark. Nothing drops in. The 2WD S10 axle is the correct width but since that's a leaf spring vehicle, the axle center section doesn't have the ears for the upper control arms.
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nothing. The 61-63 Y-body cars use an axle that is unique to the F-85 and Skylark. Nothing drops in. The 2WD S10 axle is the correct width but since that's a leaf spring vehicle, the axle center section doesn't have the ears for the upper control arms.
okay, what would you suggest on beefing up the rear end a little bit? any suggestions you have is very welcomed!
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Brookiesandrew
okay, what would you suggest on beefing up the rear end a little bit? any suggestions you have is very welcomed!
The axle in those cars is unique. It is unpopular. NO ONE sells any parts for it. You cannot beef it up unless you plan to custom machine your own differential and gears. Eric may have a rare posi unit that he might sell if the offer is high enough. Other than that you are out of luck. Welcome to the world of Y-body cars.
Old March 11th, 2020, 04:10 PM

The axle in those cars is unique. It is unpopular. NO ONE sells any parts for it. You cannot beef it up unless you plan to custom machine your own differential and gears. Eric may have a rare posi unit that he might sell if the offer is high enough. Other than that you are out of luck. Welcome to the world of Y-body cars.
okay I’ll shoot him message. But in the meantime, how severe of customization is there to fit in a s10 rear end? I’m finding out this world is a frustrating one but I enjoy a good and unique challenge!
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Brookiesandrew
okay I’ll shoot him message. But in the meantime, how severe of customization is there to fit in a s10 rear end? I’m finding out this world is a frustrating one but I enjoy a good and unique challenge!
Again, the S10 axle does NOT have the ears for the upper control arms. How are you at welding to the cast center section without distorting it? Obviously you'll also need to transfer the brackets for the lower control arms from the old axle housing to the new one. Then you have to fabricate a custom driveshaft and e-brake cables. The S10 axle has a five bolt lug pattern.
Old March 12th, 2020, 10:31 AM

The axle in those cars is unique. It is unpopular. NO ONE sells any parts for it.
Well, just the very basics are available. Bearings and seals can be bought. If you meant nobody sells aftermarket performance parts, or even OEM gear sets, axles and such, this is true. Nobody sells this stuff.
Old March 12th, 2020, 10:34 AM

I have also seen a Ford rear axle in these cars. I didn't care that much about the hows and whats, so I don't know which rear end it is, but there is a way to put a Ford rear end in too. I don't know if it's any better then the S-10 rear or not and of course, it too requires all the welding and custom stuff as well.
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:42 PM

I have already sold the posi rear end. They are really hard to find and easy to sell. In fact, I have had more W-27 rear ends than a posi 61-63, lol.
Someone said that there is a Ford rear end that fits really nice in them. I think it required an upper control arm modification and drive shaft modification and that was all. I am not sure who said it but I believe it was on the Facebook page. Maybe Felix or Knoss? I would suspect it would require an offset wheel but not sure?
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Daiv8or
Well, just the very basics are available. Bearings and seals can be bought. If you meant nobody sells aftermarket performance parts, or even OEM gear sets, axles and such, this is true. Nobody sells this stuff.
Standard bearings and seals are easy. The OP asked about "beefing" the axle.

I have also seen a Ford rear axle in these cars. I didn't care that much about the hows and whats, so I don't know which rear end it is, but there is a way to put a Ford rear end in too. I don't know if it's any better then the S-10 rear or not and of course, it too requires all the welding and custom stuff as well.
You can put any axle in there so long as you are ready to narrow it, weld on tabs, have new axle shafts machined, etc, etc. How much money ya got? Again, the OP asked "Any that I can just switch out". FYI, the Ford 8" axle from a 70-71 Maverick is also the correct width and has the same 4 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern. The problem remains that the Fords are leaf spring cars that don't have any ears for the four link control arms. Yeah, the good news is that the Ford axle has a sheet metal center section, so welding to it is easier, but the downside is that Ford 8" axles are few and far between these days, and center section parts (posi units and gear sets) have gotten pricey.
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
In fact, I have had more W-27 rear ends than a posi 61-63, lol.
Now THAT is funny. Can I infer that means that you've had TWO W-27s?
Old March 12th, 2020, 01:28 PM

Here are photos of the Ford rear end I looked at. They went to a single driveshaft and this car had five lug wheels and four wheel disc brakes. The rear end was listed as a Ford 8" rear. I have no idea what Ford it's from. Fox body? Ranger?

Old March 12th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here are photos of the Ford rear end I looked at. They went to a single driveshaft and this car had five lug wheels and four wheel disc brakes. The rear end was listed as a Ford 8" rear. I have no idea what Ford it's from. Fox body? Ranger?

That's not a Ford 8". The 8" has a drop out center section like the 9", only smaller. That's the 8.8" axle, likely from a Fox-body car. The Fox body axle is about six inches wider than the Y-body axle, so you still need to narrow it.
Old March 12th, 2020, 05:53 PM

Now THAT is funny. Can I infer that means that you've had TWO W-27s?
I have had two and sold them both. Couldn't justify paying insurance for them just sitting on the floor collecting dust and to scared that something would happen to them without insurance on them. Only choice was to sell or put them in an insured car. They don't fit a Jetfire
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:53 PM

That's not a Ford 8". The 8" has a drop out center section like the 9", only smaller. That's the 8.8" axle, likely from a Fox-body car. The Fox body axle is about six inches wider than the Y-body axle, so you still need to narrow it.
Well, there you go. It sounds like the S-10 axle is the way to go. Still, if people are going to be all, custom, make it modern, super performance and are going to be cutting and welding, why don't more people put in IRS rear ends instead? There are lots to choose from now. I mean if you're going to go "resto mod" might as well go all the way.
Old March 12th, 2020, 09:09 PM

Cutlass

If you really want to get tricky, the Jaguar XJ6 and XJS Independent Diff is basically a Dana 44 Center section with inboard disk brakes, held in it's own sub frame complete hub to hub with dual coil over shocks both side. Sub frame is hung from rubber mounts at the top, and forward control arms keep it located. I installed it in one weekend. With a front disk brake conversion and Hydro Boost, it stops on a dime and my son says it out handles his Nissan 300ZX It does look kind of odd to look through the rear wheels and not see any drums or disc brake rotors. I'm now looking at the newer XJ8 Jags for the complete drop out front IFS with rack and pinion steering.

Last edited by rocket-rodney; March 12th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.