68 type O 31 spline axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2022, 12:15 PM

68 type O 31 spline axle bearings

Im attempting to rebuild my rear and have to replace the bearings on the axle shaft - 31 spline shaft.
How do you remove the old bearings and any information on a parts supplier for these.
Thanks
Old March 21st, 2022, 01:14 PM

For removing axle bearings, I lay the shaft with the bearing resting on a hard surface and smack the bearingwith a hammer to crack the outer race. Then remove the roller parts, use a Dremel or similar to cut into the inner race (be careful not to touch the shaft), then use a chisel in the cut to crack the inner race.

The bearing should be available from your favorite auto parts store. If you have time to wait for shipping, Rock Auto has probably the best prices.
Old June 7th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

To add some info here, there is a soft steel retaining collar inboard of the bearing which must be removed first. Laying the axle on a hard surface, i.e. concrete driveway, I have always used a large cold chisel and BFH in three roughly equally spaced areas around the perimeter of this collar to loosen it so that it can be easily removed by hand. Then you can use a shop press with appropriate safety can or the method as described by Kenneth in the post above. The new bearing is installed with the collar using a shop press. Regarding the replacement bearing and oil seal, it is the same as that used on the 28 spline rear axle, RW507CR bearing and 8594S seal.
Old June 7th, 2022, 03:23 PM

Wow, Violence...lol
We always use a cut off wheel you just have to score the retaining ring diagonal to weaken it and then we put it in a vise and cold chisel it off ...when you put the diagonal cut in the retaining ring so you can chisel it away from the bearing down the spline end of the shaft direction. Once the retaining ring is removed...The bearing is usually only a .001 press fit. With it still in the vise you can use the big cold chisel again and diagonal down just over the shaft flange down to the bearing and smack it down the shaft ....MAKE SURE your always hitting the OLD BEARING not the axle shaft!!!
If you can not chisel it off pull out the cut off wheel again and cut through the bearing weakening it again then you can hit it with a hammer. Now you just have a race of the bearing left on the axle. AGAIN use the cut off wheel to weaken the race diagonal cut works best again so the chisel has an easier time to bit in the notch of the slice you put into the race and drive it down the shaft away from the axle shaft flange.

THERE are many ways to do this - all these ways will work.
A press is Ideal most many of this removal stuff. BUT most guys just do not have a hydraulic press in there presence at home.
Old June 8th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Thanks "monzaz", I didn't have a cut off wheel available to me back in the 1960's/1970's so that's how I changed rear axle bearings back then. You should see how we disassembled and reassembled Muncie 4 speeds back then with out aid of a shop press, lol! Thanks again for your input.
Old June 11th, 2022, 06:04 AM

I can imagine...LOL.
Again I say many ways to get a job done. and I do and am one of the few that acknowledge...NOT everyone can have the tools to get the job done correctly the way the FACTORY wants you too. lol.
when I started rears I was doing stuff like that too. eventually i started making my own tools for certain jobs. It is a Hobby and learning and doing the job is part of the pain and glory of it all.
Enjoy your weekend all.
Jim
JD Race
Old June 11th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 67OAI
Thanks "monzaz", I didn't have a cut off wheel available to me back in the 1960's/1970's so that's how I changed rear axle bearings back then.
From the factory Chassis Service Manual: