69 Type "O" refurbish help

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2021, 02:48 AM

69 Type "O" refurbish help

Since this car sat in a barn for 15 years, I want to be proactive and go ahead and change the diff fluid. Obviously, I'll put a new cover gasket on, but I had noticed on the pinion side it looked a little dark. Is there a front seal on this that can be replaced without messing with the pinion nut/backlash/can of worms?

Alternatively, being that it sat so long should I bite the bullet and just get it rebuilt?
Old August 6th, 2021, 03:01 AM

You'll need to remove the pinion nut and yoke to replace that pinion seal. Mark the nut position WRT the pinion and re-tighten to that point on re-assembly to maintain something close to the proper pinion bearing preload. None of this should upset the gear engagement or backlash.
Old August 6th, 2021, 03:04 AM

If I didn’t see a wet leak at pinion or either end of tubes, I would change oil and call it a day. If you find something amiss, fix it, if old oil is really nasty, change it again after driving it for a few months or a year.
Old August 6th, 2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Mark the nut position WRT the pinion
WRT? I'm kinda lost on that one. I think I've got the jist but not sure what that means.

I can't tell if the wet near the pinion is old, new, or even overflow from when someone serviced it once before.
Old October 8th, 2021, 04:51 AM

Now that I have much more of an understanding for a deadline on the engine build, I need to get the ball rolling on pretty much everything else.

I think after consideration, I'm going to have someone go through the entire diff and rebuild it. I'd like to add a Posi unit if I can as well. Anyone have any tips/tricks/links on how best to gather parts?

Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by brotherGood
WRT? I'm kinda lost on that one.
Sorry, just seeing this. WRT = with respect to (as in marking the nut relative to the pinion so when you tighten it back up, you can re-achieve the exact same position of the nut relative to the pinion to restore the bearing clamping- and pre-loads). Moot point now if you are going to have it rebuilt. Monaz on here can provide posi parts and gears. I got my posi from Supercars Unlimited and my Richmond gears from Jegs or Summit, crush sleeve, axle bearings and seals from RockAuto.
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:16 AM

No worries.

I PM'ed Monaz about a week ago, but that was before things got rolling and I didn't have any urgency. I plan on doing a deep dive/parts order this weekend..Ill check out Supercars & Summit/Jegs.

Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by brotherGood
I think after consideration, I'm going to have someone go through the entire diff and rebuild it. I'd like to add a Posi unit if I can as well. Anyone have any tips/tricks/links on how best to gather parts?

Thanks.
I will go back and look through my paperwork as I re-did my Type O over a decade ago, but my recollection is that even back then the shop had to adapt a posi carrier from an 8.5 inch corporate rear out of a Pontiac due to lack of availability of Type O parts. I will double check and confirm as soon as I get a chance.
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:33 AM

There are new posi units that are Ford 8.8 carriers that are machined and drilled for the O-Type bearings and ring gear. Monzaz would be the go to guy for this as well.