Axle bearing

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Axle bearing

I have a 69 type O, a bearing went bad on a trip I took, it actually came apart and some of the ***** are gone. Tried to get the pieces out with a magnet but didn’t find any. My question is, should I be draining the fluid and all? Can those pieces get into the gears? And if I did drain it, wouldn’t it still have shavings in the tube?
Old September 25th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Phantom Phixer

If you "grenaded" a bearing, then small pieces undoubtedly went everywhere.
I would recommend pulling the other axle and the rear cover.
Clean everything thoroughly with solvent and compressed air. Brakekleen or mineral spirits.
Inspect the gear teeth and differential bearings for pitting or damage.
You might as well replace the other axle bearing .
Old September 26th, 2022, 06:03 AM

Sounds like Charlie is on the right path. The ball bearings are a bit dangerous...if the ring wedges that ball in the ring to housing clearance area it will chip a tooth off. Being a ball bearing it will travel ... dangerous. Shavings usually just settle and stay.
To clean the tubes try a old broom stick and cut a slot in the end and wedge the rag in the end. kerosene mineral spirits etc will help cut the heavy stuff use an old Home depot bucket paint bucket 5 gallon pail... Then follow up with the brake cleaner to finish.
look in the pinion oil return that is where much of the debris will collect.
Normally if the axle bearing went bad most pieces will stay inthe axle tube it exploded in. BUT that depends on your oil return slot size on each rear.
Jim JD Race
Old September 26th, 2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by monzaz
Sounds like Charlie is on the right path. The ball bearings are a bit dangerous...if the ring wedges that ball in the ring to housing clearance area it will chip a tooth off. Being a ball bearing it will travel ... dangerous. Shavings usually just settle and stay.
To clean the tubes try a old broom stick and cut a slot in the end and wedge the rag in the end. kerosene mineral spirits etc will help cut the heavy stuff use an old Home depot bucket paint bucket 5 gallon pail... Then follow up with the brake cleaner to finish.
look in the pinion oil return that is where much of the debris will collect.
Normally if the axle bearing went bad most pieces will stay inthe axle tube it exploded in. BUT that depends on your oil return slot size on each rear.
Jim JD Race
ok great info thanks

Old September 26th, 2022, 09:58 PM

Definitely epoxy a magnet to the diff cover, that might catch any debris left over that you weren’t able to clean out.