A good place to look for posi diffs...

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM

A good place to look for posi diffs...

This may be common knowledge, but I am new here and would like to introduce myself with this helpful hint on how to score a posi diff from a source that might have been overlooked.

There are still a few cars in older wrecking yards that have a posi diff and you would never know it to look at them. The reason is because if you look at them you will see they are station wagons.

Between, say, 1964 and 1972 there was a big push by automakers to get dealers to order cars with the 'towing package'. Not only did it add profit to the car (for the manafacturer) it also made the cars stronger and less prone to warrenty claims.

Typically included were the obvious things such as a bigger radiator, transmission cooler, stiffer springs, etc... The good part is that they almost always included a posi diff in the package. The odd part is that they never included a trailer hitch. These were added later at the dealer.

While most of these were on wagons they were also installed on sedans. I have never seen a towing package on a coupe or convert as the type of customer for such a car was not likely to be the type of person to tow anything.

I do not have the option code for the towing package since such a list would take up a lot of room, but if you find the code for your cars' body it could save a lot of bending over and looking under the car. Also, check all GM cars from that body series as most from one make will fit the Olds.

I found out about this many years ago when the diff on my 1967 98 started going out and I decided to just replace the whole thing. I went to a wrecking yard where the only one they had came from a 1967 88 wagon. When I saw the tag on the diff that said 'special oil' I told them I would take it.

Anyway, I say save them now before they go to the crusher; if not the entire car as least the posi diffs.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Past Administrator

Good tip. What I have discovered is that the "old iron" is becoming more and more un-available around here in Kansas City. All my regular haunts are drying up.