need help with a 1953 rear end.

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM

need help with a 1953 rear end.

I have a 1953 rear end in my 1918 ******... I have noticed that the backlash is way off. I need info on were to find a rebuild kit for it and info/instructions on the process....

I also would like to know if anyone knows what the year span of that rear end was. from what year to what rear they used it?

Is there any sites that have this info on the 50's olds rear end.... all i can find is 442 stuff and 60's & 70's info....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im used to dealing with Ford rear ends and not sure about setting the backlash on a vintage olds rear....

Im Cyrus by the way....
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by 1918 ******
I have a 1953 rear end in my 1918 ****** ........
Are you sure it's a '53 and that it's Olds?

........ were to find a rebuild kit for it and info/instructions on the process ........
Some parts are still available for '57-up, but '56-earlier will either be NOS or used.

........ what year to what year they used it? ........
Should be '51-'53.

'54-'56 were bigger and '49-'50 axles were designed for flathead sixes.

........ any sites that have this info ........
Doubtful. Not enough interest. The prevailing mentality is to "upgrade" everything, whether it needs it or not.

Try here.

........ not sure about setting the backlash on a vintage olds rear ........
No different than a nine inch.

Norm
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I am sure that it is a 53 olds rear end because I helped my grandafather pull it from the 53 olds he had bought new and put it in my 18 ******. Im not sure that allot of the oldtimers that are purests would agree with you on the "upgrade wether its needed or not". some of us like to do things the way it used to be done for nostalgia reasons.

to bad no one knows info on it. was a really good rear end. Kinda the reason alot of early hottroders used them.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Is the rear end noisy? I would bet that it develops a whine if you tighten up the backlash, now, after 55 years.
DW
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
Is the rear end noisy? I would bet that it develops a whine if you tighten up the backlash, now, after 55 years.
DW
no noise, just a serious case of backlash
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM

too funny....

sorry cyrus, when I read your post fast it looked like you said you had a 53 rearend and a 1918 *****..... we are all getting old man... but I have a matched set from 1959......

ok back to business
I looked at kanter products but didn't see any rear end stuff

I did a google search and found this??
http://www.oldride.com/library/1953_..._super_88.html

hope it helps
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM

........ Im not sure that allot of the oldtimers that are purests would agree with you on the "upgrade wether its needed or not" ........
I don't know anything about "purists" but it has little to do with Old Timers, and a lot to do with the newer "throwaway generations".

........ some of us like to do things the way it used to be done for nostalgia reasons ........
Yes, some do.

And some like to do it the way they think, it used to be done.

Others, the way they think it should have been done.

Then there are those of us who work with what we have. Sort of like the way it actually was.

........ to bad no one knows info on it ........
Information is easy, parts availability is the problem. The H. A. M. B is another place, you can try.

........ Kinda the reason alot of early hottroders used them.
They used them, because they were readily available.

Norm
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM

no noise, just a serious case of backlash
The only serious case of backlash I've had was on a fishing reel. I've been unable to find backlash listed as a problem on a differential diagnosis chart, so I'm curious as to how a "serious case of backlash" manifests itself. Also, how much backlash is a "serious case" other than "way off?" Have you set up a dial indicator to check it?
You should be prepared to replace the ring and pinion gears as well as the bearings if you are going to reduce the backlash significantly in a differential of that age. There is an e-bay seller now that has gears for the 57-64 rears, but I know of no source for the '53 stuff. I wish you the best of luck in finding them.
DW
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM

On the 1953 rear being a drop out rear diff as a Mopar 8 3/4 or Ford 9" all you would need to do is loosed the spanner adjustment screw disc on the passenger side and tighten the the spanner adjustment dics on hte driver side. This will bring the ring gear into the pinion gear and decrease the slap distance of both gears meshing.

As far as Bearings I can get you all that info and am working on the part numbers as we thread this on jdrace.com site. Alot of info out there just need to get it down into the computer. Being a 1 guy operation I am doing the best I can in the time allotted .

Anyway if you ever run into weird diff questions maybe know one else can find or cares to find I will always try to do the best I can to help...Now that does not mean I will always find it...But I will certainly help try and or find someone I know that can.

Check some of these shot and see if it looks like what your diff center section looks like. OK? Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ebay 2 053.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
ebay 2 051.jpg (38.5 KB, 10 views)
ebay 116.jpg (69.2 KB, 8 views)
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by monzaz
On the 1953 rear being a drop out rear diff as a Mopar 8 3/4 or Ford 9" all you would need to do is loosed the spanner adjustment screw disc on the passenger side and tighten the the spanner adjustment dics on hte driver side. This will bring the ring gear into the pinion gear and decrease the slap distance of both gears meshing.

As far as Bearings I can get you all that info and am working on the part numbers as we thread this on jdrace.com site. Alot of info out there just need to get it down into the computer. Being a 1 guy operation I am doing the best I can in the time allotted .

Anyway if you ever run into weird diff questions maybe know one else can find or cares to find I will always try to do the best I can to help...Now that does not mean I will always find it...But I will certainly help try and or find someone I know that can.

Check some of these shot and see if it looks like what your diff center section looks like. OK? Jim
Thanx Jim. the pics look like the rear end. Your info will help alot. I would love the info on the bearings!!!!