pinion seal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM

pinion seal replacement?

i have never replaced a pinion seal before. is there a torque setting for the nut or do you tighten it to a certain amount of tension to turn it? i know that it will need a crush washer but just need info on how to do this. i assume that i will not need to reset the lash. thanks for your help in advance.
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM

seal replacement

OK well what rear is it?

Sometimes you can get lucky and remove the yoke replace the seal and reinstall yoke with out replacing the crush sleeve.

Torque- the torque rate is a free spin torque rate of 25inch lbs. BUT that is with NO carrier in the housing.... SO that will be a moot point.

The 150foot lbs rating you always hear about is the amount it takes to crush the pinion crush sleeve and yes the nut will have that torque rating as long as it is never backed off which it should not be when you use a new crush sleeve.

BUT in the real world of getting back on the road and a standard car situations you can snug that pinion nut as tight as you can with out over tightening the old crush sleeve so the pre-load is not too tight on the pinion bearings. then stake the pinion nut with a pointed punch where the nut and the threads meet in about at least 2-3 spots.

IF you tighten the pinion nut and you can not turn the yoke by hand or it binds or too tight feeling then you need to disassemble the rear and reinstall a new crush sleeve to alleviate the problem. or you will burn the bearings up.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM

it is a 70 O type limited slip. and thanks. does the rear end have to come apart to replace the crush sleeve
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM

crush sleeve

I am sorry but that answer is wrong. You will have to remove the carrier axles everything to replace the crush sleeve on a 12 bolt olds rear the crush sleeve can not pass by the outer race seated in the housing and must be installed from the inside of the housing and pulling the pinion out.

8.5 and 7.5 rears CAN have the crush sleeve replaced by just removing the outer pinion bearing and needle nose plys BUT that is still pretty tricky. So the thread be fore this is not correct...OR they can tell us how they are doing it and maybe will see if they know something new. Jim