Pulling axle

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2023, 10:43 AM

Pulling axle

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've pulled the axles out of my '71 Supreme. It's just the four bolts behind the hub and no C-clips in the pumpkin, correct? Nothing I have to do inside the pumpkin? I might go ahead and change the oil while I'm at it (MAW!).
I was trying to pull out the remnants of the old axle housing vent tube when the end of the pick broke off and fell inside 🙄 I've tried making tools with a magnet on the end but the vent tube remnant hangs inside too low to make any turns, seems like it's right up against the axle.
I'm hoping I don't need a slide hammer again but my local Harbor Freight has one if needed.
Thanks
Old July 27th, 2023, 11:20 AM

That depends... Some have C-clips, and some don't. The tell tale will be if there are large holes in the axle flange behind the brake drum. It there aren't, you have C-clips.

Like this:

Old July 27th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

The factory 1971-72 ten bolt "corporate" axles do not use C-clips. Remove the four bolts, flip the brake drum around, thread three lug nuts loosely onto the studs, and use the drum as a slide hammer. Oh, and put a catch pan under the end of the axle before you do this.
Old July 27th, 2023, 11:31 AM

Hmm...A slide hammer brake drum...I like it
Old July 27th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Hmm...A slide hammer brake drum...I like it
Been doing it that way for 50 years now.
Old July 27th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory 1971-72 ten bolt "corporate" axles do not use C-clips. Remove the four bolts, flip the brake drum around, thread three lug nuts loosely onto the studs, and use the drum as a slide hammer. Oh, and put a catch pan under the end of the axle before you do this.
I knew that, but I wasn't gonna make the assumption that the car still had the original axle under it after 52 years.
Old July 27th, 2023, 01:15 PM

Post a picture of the side of the center section and the casting number on the snout and we can ID it for you.
Old July 27th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Been doing it that way for 50 years now​​.
I would've given up by now...
Old July 27th, 2023, 03:38 PM

Nah, no C-clips the last time I pulled the axles and I'm the second owner of this car so it's mostly original (except for what the current owner has messed up - the current owner being me ). I don't have that enormous hole in the hub, but there are the four bolts. I just couldn't remember if the axle splines are keyed or anything. Will putting it back in be tricky?
@joe_padavano I saw an old reply of yours about using the drum as a slide hammer, i'm totally trying that!
When I had the rear out of the car I changed the 2.73 peg-leg to a limited slip 3.73 a few years back....plus the two years that weren't during the pandemic) so about five years now, I think.
And what, no wise cracks about dropping a piece of metal in that hole?! What, did this become the "nice" forum??

Last edited by Macadoo; July 27th, 2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old July 27th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Nah, no C-clips the last time I pulled the axles and I'm the second owner of this car so it's mostly original (except for what the current owner has messed up - the current owner being me ). I don't have that enormous hole in the hub, but there are the four bolts. I just couldn't remember if the axle splines are keyed or anything. Will putting it back in be tricky?
@joe_padavano I saw an old reply of yours about using the drum as a slide hammer, i'm totally trying that!
When I had the rear out of the car I changed the 2.73 peg-leg to a limited slip 3.73 a few years back....plus the two years that weren't during the pandemic) so about five years now, I think.
And what, no wise cracks about dropping a piece of metal in that hole?! What, did this become the "nice" forum??
The only trick is that you have to be careful to support the outboard end of the axle while you try to get the splines back into the differential gears so as not to damage the wheel seal at the outer end of the axle housing.
Old July 27th, 2023, 07:48 PM

Vent tube should have been plastic. Just leaving the end in would not have done anything to the rear end. - it was only plastic. I have seen rears with axle roller barrel bearings and side shim material and even spider gear and ring and pinion teeth in the axle tubes...No one would have ever known...lol. Jim
JD Race
Old July 27th, 2023, 07:58 PM

The splines are not keyed, just need to keep the inboard end of the shaft centered so it slips into the carrier side gear.
Old July 28th, 2023, 05:12 AM

The only trick is that you have to be careful to support the outboard end of the axle while you try to get the splines back into the differential gears so as not to damage the wheel seal at the outer end of the axle housing.
Good advice, thanks Joe.

Originally Posted by monzaz
Vent tube should have been plastic. Just leaving the end in would not have done anything to the rear end. - it was only plastic. I have seen rears with axle roller barrel bearings and side shim material and even spider gear and ring and pinion teeth in the axle tubes...No one would have ever known...lol. Jim
JD Race
Vent tube is plastic, but the pick that broke off inside is metal, and small enough that I'm worried it could get caught in a roller bearing. This job should be easy enough to grant me the peace of mind that I need. Funny thing is, after a failed attempt to get out the plastic vent base, I just slid a tight-fitting peace of rubber hose into the vent base in the axle housing and pushed the other half on top of that. Nice and tight and you wouldn't know by looking at it that it was ever broken. I just didn't like the idea of an open hole in the axle housing.

Originally Posted by Fun71
The splines are not keyed, just need to keep the inboard end of the shaft centered so it slips into the carrier side gear.
Just what I was looking for. Thanks Kenneth
Old July 29th, 2023, 07:40 AM

Well, it's out. Just have to put it all back together again. Gear oil is still clear yellow (five years old, maybe), and trickling out the plug, so trying to resist that MAW.

dental pick
Old July 30th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Ah.... What is that? OH DENTAL PICK... got it... Geez.... lol. NOW I know why you wanted back in... I thought the way it read the plastic broke off in the housing... lol. Sorry.
Old July 30th, 2023, 05:03 PM

No worries @monzaz , I know you know your stuff. But now you can judge me; after getting everything back together, the plastic remnant fell in! I spent an hour trying to get that sucker out of the hole, and later it just drops in?! Sigh....at my house we call this the "Mac Factor". So back in I went. I realize it wouldn't do the same kind of damage as the metal pick but I figured it would get chewed up into little pieces which would be harder to track down. Besides, I needed the drum brake practice.
Interesting note: I haven't been able to get the self-adjusting brake mechanisms to work, even though it's all together correctly. So this time going in, I assembled the brake on my bench and had a good look. It appears this connector must have stretched out over time and wasn't pulling the mechanism with enough force. So as an experiment I spot welded inside the hook to make it a little tighter. Viola, fixed. A real nice "click" when turning the cog to spread the shoes. I'll do the other three next summer when I replace all the shoes.

drum brake connector thingy, hook welded smaller
Old July 30th, 2023, 06:21 PM

Sigh....at my house we call this the "Mac Factor".
Ouch. That's on the lines of your Mom calling you by your first and middle names. You knew you were in trouble when she did that!
Old July 30th, 2023, 07:49 PM

Lol, for sure!
Old July 31st, 2023, 12:05 PM

Looks like the is stretched... they sell new complete hardware kits...Might be time to spend 20 to 30 for all new stuff including the adjusters. Jim
Old July 31st, 2023, 12:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

So as an experiment I spot welded inside the hook to make it a little tighter. Viola, fixed. A real nice "click" when turning the cog to spread the shoes. I'll do the other three next summer when I replace all the shoes.
Be real careful here. If the self adjuster mechanism is too tight, small irregularities in the drum ID can cause the self-adjuster to tighten up prematurely while you drive, resulting in locked brakes. In half a century of working on these cars, I've never found a "stretched" link. How exactly are you testing this link? The adjuster won't work unless the wheel is in motion while you apply the brake. This rotates the shoes on the backing plate, causing the link to engage. If you are just doing this statically without the drum turning, you are not properly testing the function.
Old August 1st, 2023, 04:55 PM

Be real careful here. If the self adjuster mechanism is too tight, small irregularities in the drum ID can cause the self-adjuster to tighten up prematurely while you drive, resulting in locked brakes. In half a century of working on these cars, I've never found a "stretched" link. How exactly are you testing this link? The adjuster won't work unless the wheel is in motion while you apply the brake. This rotates the shoes on the backing plate, causing the link to engage. If you are just doing this statically without the drum turning, you are not properly testing the function.
Thanks for the wisdom, Joe. Shouldn't the plate at least be contacting the star wheel? I can spin it both directions after assembling the brakes. At first I thought it was the spring that connects the bottom of the front and back shoes causing the plate to not sit on the star wheel but I was wrong. What else could cause this?
Old August 1st, 2023, 05:53 PM
Administrator

A lot of people have been having issues with the aftermarket replacement rods. See if someone has an original they can send you for replacement.
Old August 1st, 2023, 07:30 PM

@oldcutlass Rods?
Old August 1st, 2023, 08:14 PM
Administrator

What you called the self adjuster thingy.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What you called the self adjuster thingy.
Oh, lol! I think maybe it's called an actuator rod? But I've never seen one in any of the spring kits. Mine are original. And it could be that I was the person that stretched them out. I was pretty green when I first started working on this car. I'll be careful not to make the mechanism too tight. I mean, even after welding-up the hook, it was still easy to put into place. I just can't see any other reason why the plate isn't contacting the star wheel.
On a more frustrating note: I'm replacing the front wheel cylinders (one is leaking) and whoever bent the new brake lines made it near impossible to get to the fitting. Oh yeah, that was me too