Question on Axles/hubs

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
CJR

Question on Axles/hubs

I'm in the planning process to build a mid-engine car using a Toronado transaxle. What axles/hubs/knuckles(i.e. uprights), with disc brakes, can be used with my 67 Toronado transaxle? I want to use Toronado axles that allow "plunge" (axle length change) to improve handling. Can anyone recommend various combinations?

Best regards,

CJR
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJR
I'm in the planning process to build a mid-engine car using a Toronado transaxle. What axles/hubs/knuckles(i.e. uprights), with disc brakes, can be used with my 67 Toronado transaxle? I want to use Toronado axles that allow "plunge" (axle length change) to improve handling. Can anyone recommend various combinations?

Best regards,

CJR
Back when Bill Porterfield was running Mid-Engineering, he used Corvette hubs and swing arms with custom axles to mate to the TH425.
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
CJR

Were all the Toronado drive shafts of the "plunge" type( length changing)? If not, what years were? Photos of some Toronado axles, that I saw, show a flange to bolt-up to the transaxle, a CV joint, shaft, universal joint, and a splined end to go into the hub. I didn't see a telescoping section( like a driveshaft that moves in and out of a standard trans). Was the splined end free-floating in the hub without the typical attachment nut? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Best regards,

CJR
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CJR
Were all the Toronado drive shafts of the "plunge" type( length changing)? If not, what years were? Photos of some Toronado axles, that I saw, show a flange to bolt-up to the transaxle, a CV joint, shaft, universal joint, and a splined end to go into the hub. I didn't see a telescoping section( like a driveshaft that moves in and out of a standard trans). Was the splined end free-floating in the hub without the typical attachment nut? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Best regards,

CJR
Most FWD axle shafts have the axial length change feature inside the CV joint.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
CJR

Joe,

Thanks for the info on how the Toronado half shafts plunge. After your comment, I found a description in one of my manuals. Apparently, the plunge is in the CV at the transaxle.

What wheel hub/knuckle assemblies can you recommend for the Tornado half shafts that would use disc brakes?

Best regards,

CJR