Shop recommendations Northern Illinois for 8.2 BOP rebuild

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2022, 08:01 PM

Shop recommendations Northern Illinois for 8.2 BOP rebuild

Looking for someone in Northern Illinois to rebuild my rear end. I have an Eaton Posi carrier, Motive 3.73 gears, Timken bearing kit, axle bearings, fluid and additive all ready to go. I tried suburban driveline but they won't give an estimate until I bring the car, buts it's over a 2 hour round trip. Any other recommendations?

Last edited by petes67bird; June 14th, 2022 at 05:11 AM.
Old June 14th, 2022, 06:27 AM

We have people ship rears to us all the time...COSTLY but with the way most shops do things these days I can see why we are so busy even with the extra expense.
I just do not know anyone in that area.
Jim
JD Race
Akron Oh
Old June 14th, 2022, 02:48 PM

Was in a time crunch so just took it to a local shop. Fingers crossed.
Old June 14th, 2022, 05:56 PM

Damn, I was going to suggest B&B Automotive in McHenry. He put the Eaton and 3.23's in my 8.5 and did a great job.
Old June 14th, 2022, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
Damn, I was going to suggest B&B Automotive in McHenry. He put the Eaton and 3.23's in my 8.5 and did a great job.
That's my normal mechanic. I just got my car back from them, they are 3 weeks out though. They just did a ton of work and didn't have time for the rear end.
Old June 14th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Performance Unlimited in Ringwood is another suggestion for future consideration. Denny is a really good dude and he's into old GM stuff.
Old June 15th, 2022, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by 75 W-30 H/O
Performance Unlimited in Ringwood is another suggestion for future consideration. Denny is a really good dude and he's into old GM stuff.
I actually just dropped off my vehicle at Doug's Transmission in Lake in the Hills. Hoping all goes well. I had a few other shops about an hour away but with the heat I didn't want to drive that far. It's tough because there's not too many shops out here that specialize in the rear ends.
Old June 15th, 2022, 07:14 AM

Yep, Just like all the Old car stuff, Dying breed. I am one of the last few around here too. (to do it right also)
HAve to get the apprenticeship going again in this country. Remember when if you were a shoe makers son ??? You would make shoes. Machinist...your son would be a machinist ...it was the best and easiest way to get good help and usually next gen would excel past first generation... DOES not seem to be that way anymore.
We teach our children to do the least amount of work of as much as you can get paid...OR no work at all for FREE pay. Does not go well to build a stable country.
We in this country need to undig the hole we dug.
Parenting has failed I believe. Morals, respect, ethics... gone... .
I will remove this if it starts and up roar....sorry it is a HOT Wednesday morning here...lol
JIm

Last edited by monzaz; June 15th, 2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old June 15th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by monzaz
Yep, Just like all the Old car stuff, Dying breed. I am one of the last few around here too. (to do it right also)
HAve to get the apprenticeship going again in this country. Remember when if you were a shoe makers son ??? You would make shoes. Machinist...your son would be a machinist ...it was the best and easiest way to get good help and usually next gen would excel past first generation... DOES not seem to be that way anymore.
We teach our children to do the least amount of work of as much as you can get paid...OR no work at all for FREE pay. Does not go well to build a stable country.
I will remove this if it starts and up roar....sorry it is a HOT Wednesday morning here...lol
JIm
Any tips on what I should check when I pick up the car? I was going to have Bob kelso do it but he would not be available till next week and I needed it done this week as I have my trans install Monday. Getting a 200r4 put in and he needs the rear end done first. The first shop set me back 3 weeks blowing me off.
Old June 15th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Sorry to hijack this but, gotta agree with you Jim! Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) is a blue collar endorser and has several podcasts and TV shows all about it. He recently interviewed Matt Hagan on his podcast, was quite interesting.
Old June 15th, 2022, 12:21 PM

TIPS on rear end pick up

LISTEN to the rear as your driving.
heavy accel or decel whining take it right back FAST...Do not let them tell you it will go away...NOT TRUE.
On some gears you could have a little on off accelerator pitch change from the rear in the 30- 50 mph range...
If there is clucking in the turns they need more Limited slip additive.
Do not if you are the first to drive...go on a long trip.
Short 10 min runs and long 1 hour shut down should break the gears in nice.
IF you are a stick shift car NO using the clutch as a slowing down breaking deal when driving...TOO MUCH friction for new gears....
after you get it home double check the fluid...it should trickle from the fill hole...IF not fill more fluid until it does.
Check for leaks at the pinion cover and axle seals area. for the first few days.
Hope this helps some.
Jim
JD race
Old June 15th, 2022, 01:00 PM

LISTEN to the rear as your driving.
heavy accel or decel whining take it right back FAST...Do not let them tell you it will go away...NOT TRUE.
On some gears you could have a little on off accelerator pitch change from the rear in the 30- 50 mph range...
If there is clucking in the turns they need more Limited slip additive.
Do not if you are the first to drive...go on a long trip.
Short 10 min runs and long 1 hour shut down should break the gears in nice.
IF you are a stick shift car NO using the clutch as a slowing down breaking deal when driving...TOO MUCH friction for new gears....
after you get it home double check the fluid...it should trickle from the fill hole...IF not fill more fluid until it does.
Check for leaks at the pinion cover and axle seals area. for the first few days.
Hope this helps some.
Jim
JD race
Thanks, will I be able to hear the whine over loud exhaust? I have a large cam/motor that is super loud. Also would I 20 min drive home/15 miles be OK straight home?
Old June 15th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Jerry's Auto Care in Fox Lake has done a lot of mechanical work on my car including R&R on the rear end. I've always been pleased with his work.
Old June 15th, 2022, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DaveD65
Jerry's Auto Care in Fox Lake has done a lot of mechanical work on my car including R&R on the rear end. I've always been pleased with his work.
I have called and left a message about six times for Jerry over the last three weeks without a response. I've heard great things about him I just couldn't reach him.
Old June 16th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I would have waited for Bob. Although I've rebuilt my own diffs. The 3.90 he did for me that was in my 72 took a ton of abuse with just a stock rebuilt posi and factory ring gear and pinion. I went to a 4.30 with a spool , Moser axles and motive gear recently. Bob is one of the best .
Old June 16th, 2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I would have waited for Bob. Although I've rebuilt my own diffs. The 3.90 he did for me that was in my 72 took a ton of abuse with just a stock rebuilt posi and factory ring gear and pinion. I went to a 4.30 with a spool , Moser axles and motive gear recently. Bob is one of the best .
Unfortunately I just could not wait and he did not know exactly when he would be available when we spoke. It was open ended and I don't have time to wait. The last well known shop kept telling me the next day they should have a bay open and after 14days of that I gave up. Then I had a drag race shop going to set it up and 10 days of tomorrow, I gave up.

The transmission was supposed to already be installed and I am almost a month behind. The builder was getting irritated and I was too. I am really nervous about this shop doing my rear end, I am going to stop over during my lunch break to check in and look at everything. I drove by yesterday before their close and the car was up in the air and the rear cover was just taken off. Not ideal but hoping it works out. It's really been hell depending on anyone lately to work on your car which is why I do everything myself. I just have never done a rear end.
Old June 16th, 2022, 10:20 AM

OK I feel better. He seems to know what he is doing. Said he had a hard time shimming it as it had to offset quite a bit. He is at..07-.08 backlash. Pattern looked really good as well.

Last edited by petes67bird; June 16th, 2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old June 16th, 2022, 12:49 PM

JIm
Nooot trying to make an uproar but....who's your apprentice....and does he or she need more than 1 job in order to pay rent? I am part of the generation of "college or poor" and I see the damage that has been done by teaching this and scoffing at anything less. What I see very often however, is the industries like industrial maintenance do not foster an apprenticeship program that pays enough to make it worth staying. The next job is now only a click away and it seems many employers, or those in the hiring or training role, don't understand the cost it takes to train a new employee rather than paying the current one more to stay.

Not solving the world's problems today but "no one wants to work" is an incomplete statement it's closer to "no one wants to work for what I'm willing to pay". Wages have not kept up with inflation, even disregarding the last 3 years. My neighbor, 72, had brand new '68 442 at $4 per hour and could still afford insurance, fuel, rent, dates.

I digress. I think it comes down to something you said...."We teach our children...."
Old June 17th, 2022, 07:00 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I will say this about apprenticeship. I was 17 in 2007. Started in a body shop because I was a horrible student but all my shop classes I did very well. Took body shop in our votech program and represented our high school very well. I made peanuts for the first 5 years but I didn't aquire debt and bought my house at 22 just making enough to get it . I bought my 72 cutlass as a way to learn summer of 07 and still use it very much the same way. I'm still doing body work working in a fast paced high tech shop but with an old school approach. The problem with younger kids like my brother who is 21 is they don't see the prize at the end. They want it upfront. That's what participation trophies get ya. The lack of tradesman comes down to schools cutting band programs and shop classes. I played in orchestra in middle school and the biggest take away besides a broad music taste was hand eye coordination. That's all you need to be a good tech. And of course an active and willing and capable mind. My brother has a great work ethic but they didn't push shop on him in school. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by coppercutlass; June 17th, 2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:58 AM

The guy I used in Winnebago in 2003 I'm sure is very dead. He was recommended to me by I think...Guy at Rockford Racecraft when they were still around. Or maybe it was Rockford Auto Clinic. My family still takes everything there. Sounds like you have it squared away. Like Monzaz said, should be silent. There's no break in period for gears. They're either on or off. You ever drive a noisy new car?
Old June 17th, 2022, 09:30 AM

Gears are metal components and have a break-in as well as recomended heat cycle. What it is depends on the brand and / or type of gears and this info should be included in the mfg instructions.
Old June 19th, 2022, 11:52 AM

On the right path to thinking

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I will say this about apprenticeship. I was 17 in 2007. Started in a body shop because I was a horrible student but all my shop classes I did very well. Took body shop in our votech program and represented our high school very well. I made peanuts for the first 5 years but I didn't aquire debt and bought my house at 22 just making enough to get it . I bought my 72 cutlass as a way to learn summer of 07 and still use it very much the same way. I'm still doing body work working in a fast paced high tech shop but with an old school approach. The problem with younger kids like my brother who is 21 is they don't see the prize at the end. They want it upfront. That's what participation trophies get ya. The lack of tradesman comes down to schools cutting band programs and shop classes. I played in orchestra in middle school and the biggest take away besides a broad music taste was hand eye coordination. That's all you need to be a good tech. And of course an active and willing and capable mind. My brother has a great work ethic but they didn't push shop on him in school. Just my 2 cents.

NOW please go find someone and have a family and make some good kids....BECAUSE THIS WORLD needs guidance for next few generations and beyond!
YOU do not sound rich but satisfied... Which is A Okay.
Good Job.
Old June 19th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It's tough, I took the first year Automotive in College. Unfortunately, you starve going through apprenticeship. The minimum pay levels weren't great at all through the steps. Then you get to flat rate paye, the per hour is Ok. Problem is, if it takes you 10 hours and the book says 2, guess what you get paid, 2 hours😥. There is a reason for a shortage of Technicians. Really tough with little kids and bills to pay. I did other things that paid better then got my 1A license. Better money but has it's own pitfalls, the grass is always greener, don't you know😉.
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:16 PM

Life is not easy... You have to try and live the best you can with what you have and keep looking for opportunity. I had 3 jobs Just like my dad did way back in the 70's.... Grocery store cart pushing to FCI tow motor driver for stamping plant to personal jobs electrical plumbing drywall for co workers.... I did anything for money as my family was relying on me. I gave up one of them as I just could not hold my daughter enough I had to make sure she knew I was not a stranger. She would cry when I held her... THAT is when i went on eBay and figured out how to just sell things, ANY THINGS and then I realized the rear diff stuff was a place I could accel in.... IT just took off and I made all my Used stuff better than anyone else's and out sold them...Hit swap meets every weekend, kept pumping the parts back in with the money sold that sold off ebay. DID that for years. CRAZY amount of work ...got on the internet and answered everyone's questions and if I did not know I found out some how asking older guys etc. HARDest thing was getting a SUPPLIER...I had to literally LYE my butt off to get someone to trust in me (one guy business no one wants to supply) ...TOMS differentials did! TOM call my bluff, but said that is how he got started and he would give me a shot and see how much I could move. FROM there it was history...I worked hard to sell and put as many rears under cars and trucks as i could ...because best advertisement is working rears under vehicle with your name on it.
Now I am sure you can apply to different stuff. My Oldest daughter has already seen what I did and has her own on line business ( different branches same roots) https://differentbranches.com/ and a regular job too Accounting and disability for FedEx branch locally here. (no extra schooling either...they took her on and sent her to school for what they needed. ....SO it still can be done...You just have to show up to work and knock on those doors.
Jim
JD Race

Last edited by monzaz; June 19th, 2022 at 06:22 PM.