U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2023, 09:14 AM
NOVICE car nut

U-Joints

Ok , these aren't coming out very easily . I have a ball joints/ u-joint removal tool and or a sledgehammer . Do I need to get those pins out of the way first ? Are there any retaining rings or clips I'm not seeing for a 72CS ?
Old July 25th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't know if these are but some of those old u-joints had plastic poured in to retain the u-joint in the driveshaft and yoke. If that is the case you need to take a torch and heat the yoke until the plastic melts and runs out. If this is the case, there would be no retaining rings holding the u-joint in place.
Old July 25th, 2023, 11:44 AM
same but different

Like Glenn said, heat them up with a torch and that goo will get soft enough to release.

I use a sacrificial 11/16 socket and hammer. I like to dress the shaft and yoke with a file/sandpaper to assist assembly if there are any burrs.
Old July 25th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Yep, if they are factory u-joints there are no retaining clips. I recall on mine seeing some blue plastic around the cap areas. Back in high school I didn't have a torch so I used a hammer and a socket the same diameter as the caps and hammered them out. I also recall ruining that socket - it became my "u-joint tool" after that.
Old July 25th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember doing these on a 65 Grand Prix I had many years ago. I hammered them out with a socket and a bfh. It took some real pounding on that socket. We live and never quit learning.
Old July 25th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Administrator

You can use one of those little propane torches you get at home depot to burn the plastic out if they are indeed the original ujoints.
Old July 25th, 2023, 04:05 PM

I have never torched them out, but I have read to be careful when applying heat. Apparently overheated grease can generate enough pressure to launch the caps.
Old July 25th, 2023, 05:17 PM
Administrator

I’ve done dozens of them and never saw launched caps. The plastic oozes out like the fireworks snakes that you lit as kids. When it’s done oozing you knock the joints out.
Old July 25th, 2023, 06:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have never torched them out, but I have read to be careful when applying heat. Apparently overheated grease can generate enough pressure to launch the caps.
That's one way to solve your problem.
Old July 25th, 2023, 08:11 PM
NOVICE car nut

Yes , I didn't have to heat it up . Once I got the u-joint press situated correctly they pushed out ..... Now the fun part is trying to get the new ones in . This moon clip tends to want the u-joint to go in crooked. I'm pretty sure you put the clip inside the slot inside the part you press them into , not on the cap . I'll have to find a piece of metal I can stick on the side so it can't go crooked and mess the seal up . Unless you guys have a better way
Old July 25th, 2023, 08:24 PM

Absolutely it can be a problem if you don't start the heating process at the opening first.Yes the plastic will try to escape but the opening is still solid,It can be dangerous.Don't ask me how i know.
Old July 25th, 2023, 10:50 PM

It’s been a while since I did u-joints on the Cutlass but I thought the caps were pressed in and then the clips were inserted afterwards.
Old July 27th, 2023, 10:54 AM
NOVICE car nut

I'll have to show a picture of what I mean
Old July 27th, 2023, 05:26 PM
NOVICE car nut

Here's the picture . It has these moon shaped spring metal rings that go in the groove. Maybe I should get a different type ? I had these for years .

Old July 27th, 2023, 05:47 PM
same but different

That is a correct part number for replacement. I've used the same.

Have you installed u joints before? Its like Kenneth said in post 12. Leave the rings off until installed.

Remove two opposite caps. Press one cap in most of the way. Now install crossjoint. Place the other cap into opposite end and press home. Install rings.

I use a large C clamp for pressing. Hammer and socket works too, but don't let any needle bearings fall out.
Old July 27th, 2023, 06:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by don71
don't let any needle bearings fall out.
^^^THIS! It's easy for one of the needles to fall out of place inside the cap. This obviously prevents the cap from fully seating, which causes problems getting the C-ring into place. Also, be sure to wire brush or otherwise clean the bores in the yokes. And finally, depending on how hard you pressed on the old u-joint caps to get them out, be sure the ears of the yoke didn't get bent (do not ask my how I know this... ). Measure the inside dimensions of all the yokes and see if one is out of family. Measure across the assembled u-joint, outside-to-outside on the C-ring grooves, and see how that compares to the yoke ID.
Old July 27th, 2023, 07:19 PM
NOVICE car nut

I'm just trying to understand how I would get the C ring inside there once the caps are installed. I'll look at a video to see how they accomplish that .
Old July 27th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Administrator

There is enough room through the inside opening once the caps are installed to slide and snap them in place.
Old July 27th, 2023, 07:53 PM

Once both caps are pressed in, I typically have to press the joint slightly to one side, install the clip, then press the joint in the opposite direction to get enough clearance to install the second clip.

If you put a small amount of grease in the caps beforehand it helps keep the rollers from falling over. As said, if one or more fall the joint cannot be seated properly. Too much grease and it impedes pressing the caps into the cross.
Old July 27th, 2023, 08:36 PM
same but different

Yea, you'll probably have to squeeze the joint a little back and forth to get the second ring installed

After pressing in the caps....use some needle nose pliers to hold the tips of the ring on top of the slot. Now, tap on the ring with some force. It's going to do one of two things. It will either pop right into the groove , OR it goes flying across your garage. So be prepared to go searching for it.
Old July 27th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One other caution. Be sure you have the u-joints turned so you can get a grease gun on the zerk fitting.
Old July 27th, 2023, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by don71
OR it goes flying across your garage. So be prepared to go searching for it.
Yep. I had wondered why there were 3 sets of clips in my Jeep u-joint box, and after one launched into an unknown location I was happy there were extras so I didn’t have to perform an extended search for the one that went airborne.
Old July 28th, 2023, 06:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One other caution. Be sure you have the u-joints turned so you can get a grease gun on the zerk fitting.
In addition to this, be sure the hole for the zerk fitting is in compression when driving forward.
Old July 28th, 2023, 01:03 PM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks that makes sense now
Old July 28th, 2023, 04:36 PM
NOVICE car nut

Well , unless I'm not cranking on it hard enough , it won't go in from either side . That clip sticks up about a16th of an inch passed the top of the clip groove , and the cap is a pressed fit as it is so I'm not getting cap to go over the clip . The back side is just as high as the front side , so there's literally not enough room to squeeze that clip in there after cap is pressed in either .
Old July 28th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I use a big screw driver or punch to drive the clips all the way in.
Old July 28th, 2023, 06:29 PM
NOVICE car nut

Yeah , that's what the video shows them putting clip on groove after you push the cap in far enough , then crank it back . I'll have to give it more force
Old July 29th, 2023, 04:57 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I use a big screw driver or punch to drive the clips all the way in.
What about that rubber seal on the end ? I already messed one up a little bit as it is
Old July 29th, 2023, 05:42 AM
NOVICE car nut

ok , so as you can see there's a space the size of a very thin piece of paper to push this C-clip through . How's this possible ?

You can see how far the clip stands above the groove on the other caps

Last edited by oldsguybry; July 29th, 2023 at 05:48 AM.
Old July 29th, 2023, 06:10 AM
Administrator

The caps need to be installed from the outside in. The one on the left is too far in. If the rubber seal on one of the old unjoints is good try using it.
When I do unjoints I start 1 cap and tap it in 1/2 way, then start the other being careful not to get the needle bearings out of alignment by sliding the unjoint body to keep it somewhat centered in the caps.

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 29th, 2023 at 06:15 AM.
Old July 29th, 2023, 06:47 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The caps need to be installed from the outside in. The one on the left is too far in. If the rubber seal on one of the old unjoints is good try using it.
When I do unjoints I start 1 cap and tap it in 1/2 way, then start the other being careful not to get the needle bearings out of alignment by sliding the unjoint body to keep it somewhat centered in the caps.
Ok , its pushed that far in to show the problem im having .... The clip placement is the issue I'm having.
Old July 29th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
ok , so as you can see there's a space the size of a very thin piece of paper to push this C-clip through .
No, I don't see. I am not understanding what you're describing.
Old July 29th, 2023, 03:49 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Fun71
No, I don't see. I am not understanding what you're describing.
A very slim space between the cap and the bore hole it presses into ... I'm having a hard time getting cap to go past c-clip
Old July 30th, 2023, 01:56 AM
NOVICE car nut

I ordered a C-Clip assortment to see if there's a better one to suit this because these seem too big to me . It was only like 12 dollars with shipping ... while I wait for that to arrive I was going to look inside transmission . Pictures to come . I'll get the u-joint thing figured out later .
Old August 1st, 2023, 10:07 AM

??? I am so confused at what your doing... you have to push the caps in from the outside. Start one cap with the cross shaft in the cavity of the cap your installing...MAKE certain the roller bearings do not fall out any where. Press that cap in all the way flush with the outside yoke. Now take the other cup and start the cup and press it in about 1/8" start to take the cross shaft and slide it into the cup your just started.... see if the cross shaft can touch both inside roller bearing cavity...it should slide back and forth smooth ...if you can not push the 2nd cup in further till you know both are contacting the roller bearings inside the cup smoothly...DURING ALL this you have to make sure the roller bearing stay put... If one falls you will need to remove a cup and start over.
I would remove the other cross caps out of the way while installing the ones going into the shaft yokes. One less thing in the way and falling off etc.
Keep pressing in the other cap while constantly checking binding on the cross shaft. then install your cap c clips you may have to adjust the caps once each side has a c-clip in.
I do not know what an issue you are having with the picture shown...But I included this to help everyone. I AM sure there are different ways to do this...But this one way.
You can use a big bench vise to do this ... or a arbor press... Supporting the shaft can be tricky...Take your time and take breaks when you need mentally...lol.

Jim JD Race
Old August 1st, 2023, 10:19 AM
Administrator

The only thing I can think of if you can't get both clips into the caps is the horns on the drive shaft are slightly bent inwards.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 04:06 AM
NOVICE car nut

I'll figure it out , I'm only having problems with clips , not caps. I haven't messed with it since I last posted.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 05:22 AM

Sometimes you get air pocket and have to install one and then push the other one in the vise or press a bit to get the other inside c-clip in. ...again UNLESS your drive shaft horns are bent...then your in trouble.
I always clean my ID on the horns from burrs and stuff from years of debris etc. so the new cups can start clean and not drag the pressure on the horns of the shaft and bend them.
Jim
JD
Old August 7th, 2023, 01:28 PM
NOVICE car nut

Ok , this is the first time I've had a chance to look at this bullshit again 😆 since the last time I posted . It's hard to see in the photo but the clip is at least 4 times bigger than the hole it has to go in ( one way or another ) .. should I just crank on it with all my might ? 🤔 😆. What could I be missing here

Last edited by oldsguybry; August 7th, 2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old August 7th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

That looks correct. Now you have to push the u-joint and cap towards the yoke so that clip bottoms, which gives you room to install the other one.

Quick Reply: U-Joints